• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A heavy buffer, the DIY way....

Matt.Cross

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if you were going to use the components from an existing Buffer for the poly bumper on the end & I looked around to see if you can get any internal or that bumper & found this , by Buffer technologies , https://www.galatiinternational.com/product/BTR150.html 

Thing is , you can get a complete Buffer assembly for less in some places , but , would it be the same material as a Buffer technologies one .z

• 1 month later...

Time for an update: I'm an idiot, a total and complete utter moron. Seriously, everyone gets a turn to slap me upside the skull and stomp my balls, believe me I deserve it.

My only gas problem is with the quantity occupying space where brain cells should be. I shall explain.

I've been tinkering around since adding the LAW Tactical adapter to my rifle,  and I noticed that with an empty mag in the rifle, the bolt will lock to the rear (behind the catch) if you withdraw the BCG with the adapter in the open position. While that's normal function for most of you all, since my rifle has been built, the bolt has never locked to the rear on empty. I have always attributed that to two particular factors:

1. I have used (1st Gen) PMAGS exclusively in this build, and they are reputed to be inconsistent in function with various large AR platforms.

2. Both custom BCGs used in the lifetime of this build feature chamfers at the front of the carrier that override the bolt catch.

Where the idiocy comes in, is how I've failed to realize the catch is supposed to hold on the face of the BOLT, not the carrier. So I began diagnosing why my carrier wasn't/isn't traveling far enough to the rear to function properly. The short answer is that my buffer is ~1/2" too long, explaining both my short-stroking/bcg overspeed issue, and the failure to lock back on empty. Doh!

This became apparent once I compared my buffer measurements with the data mrraley published quite a while ago. Brownells sent me an Armalite AR-15 buffer! It's 5.875" and should measure 5.188"! (Based on this post.)

So, while I will still manufacture my stainless heavy buffer, and add my SLR adjustable gas block to the system,  I'm first going to modify the existing buffer to the correct length, and see if that corrects my function issues.

Well you deserve it for where the Bolt Catch is supposed Catch the Bolt , but Brownells sent me an AR 15 Rifle Buffer Spring ,when I ordered a 308AR one , sure glade they got the Buffer correct , never take anything for granted in the 308AR world . I discovered it while researching a Thread about Buffer springs & it was a WTF , I should have known better .:thumbup:

4 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Time for an update: I'm an idiot, a total and complete utter moron. Seriously, everyone gets a turn to slap me upside the skull and stomp my balls, believe me I deserve it.

We'll not supply you with your Appalachian birth control, mister!

I say we get Mrs. Cross hooked up with some triplets for Matt's skull slap.

We'll have her watch Mikedaddy's aerobic video to get her "in the mood!"  :hornet:

:banana: <<<<preview for her

14 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Matt, run your buffer length dimensional numbers from Slash's tech data, and use that for cutting your buffer down...  :thumbup:

http://heavybuffers.com/reference.html

I'll check it out. Pat Raley published some numbers too in the link I posted earlier, I had planned to use that, but there's probably no difference.

1 hour ago, Matt.Cross said:

I'll check it out. Pat Raley published some numbers too in the link I posted earlier, I had planned to use that, but there's probably no difference.

Pictures, lots o pictures please. I really want to see how your rifle does with it.

5 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

New buffer length, 5.200". I can't wait to get home and see if it's going to clear the bolt catch!

.... and it works like a charm! Locks to the rear on empty with the PMAGs, just as it should. Now I have to function test live, and then add the AGB, rinse & repeat.