• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A heavy buffer, the DIY way....

Matt.Cross

I will confess, I'm way too gassy...

.... in my AR I mean....

When I originally built my AR, I was simply trying to get it together and with my suppressor months away from arriving, I put a straightforward (non-adjustable) Fulton Armory clamp-on gas block on my build. When the suppressor finally arrived, it was incorporated into the build without any additional modifications made to the gas system.

The rifle actually continued to function properly though far more dirty than usual in the vicinity of the BCG and chamber, and I ran it that way for a substantial amount of time. Fast forward to the recent desert shootfest, and my trusty rifle exhibited ghastly feeding behavior, converting me involuntarily from a gas operated weapon to a veritable modified bolt gun. Think mortaring and lots of tap-rack-bang...

So I talk it over with Tom and we came up with a strategy to keep me operational and iron out the functional shortcomings at the same time: a heavy buffer added first to mitigate the feeding problems, and an adjustable gas block later to mitigate the overgassing/fouling @ the chamber.

This thread is to document the implementation of the first strategy, the creation of my own heavy buffer.

Being a Machinist by trade, I have access to all the cool toys needed to manufacture my own heavy buffer, and it theoretically should be easy to duplicate the buffer. Time will tell.

I've ordered a 1 ft length of 1" diameter 416 stainless from McMaster-Carr (~$22) and it will ship Monday. I will document the creation of the new & improved buffer and post here for your enjoyment.

It's gonna be awesome!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, jtallen83 said:

Looking forward to your review! I don't really follow the "bleed off " part of how it works. I did notice the description at Rainier says it has 30 positions, that's twice what the SLR blocks have, might have to try one myself.

I definitely like the price point of that one vs the SLR.

13 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I don't really follow the "bleed off " part of how it works.

Looks like they're saying that instead of blocking some gas off, it vents it out of the block instead.  So, suppressed, and needing less gas, most of it would shoot out of the block, and a little would get through to cycle the system.

I think that's what they mean... 

EDIT - found a vid on this gas block...

Edited by 98Z5V

I have a Superlative Piston system with the same Bleed off system & it works great & I haven't even adj. it to their instructions to reduce it to optimum Recoil . Its on a 5.56 , but the theory is the same & its practical application . Almost no felt recoil , probable the smoothest shooting AR 15 I have ( Piston system may have something to do with it, how much  ? ) . Don't see any reason why the system wouldn't work the same way on a 308 AR w/Suppressor. As with any adj. gas system , you will need to know where the adj. has to be for your use .

The only issue I see with the Video is that the ammo can give a wide range of ES & SD in Velocity , so a base line is based on the ammo & that will effect all testing . If the ammo is inconsistent , so will any testing , be it an adj. or non adj. Gas Block . Not only that ,but fouling of the system will have small effects on the same ES, SD . I would of liked to hear him say , the rifle was cleaned between testing of different settings. 

Good find on the video 98 , very informative . I wish SuperLative would make a Piston system for a 308AR , I would try one out , I like the one I have .

I'm not one that believe an DI system needs an adj. gas block , but I do believe if using a Suppressor you do . I would be careful of how heavy you make the Buffer , an Adj. Gas Block may be all you need , but hay, your a Machinist , go for it .

Edited by survivalshop

32 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

I'm not one that believe an DI system needs an adj. gas block , but I do believe if using a Suppressor you do . I would be careful of how heavy you make the Buffer , an Adj. Gas Block may be all you need , but hay, your a Machinist , go for it .

Admittedly, the heavy buffer is only an intermediate solution. It won't solve the problem of too much gas at the chamber area, that's what the gas block will serve to remedy.

However, until such time as I can decide which gas block will be the most practical for me, it's the most effective way I can think of to solve the problem of my BCG traveling too fast.

It's also a solution I can implement quickly, cheaply, and with a minimum of effort and a maximum of enjoyment.

So today I decided to do my research and see what my current buffer weighs and what it consists of component wise.

IMG_20170110_104804304_zpseaznmhmi.jpg

There's the complete buffer on the scale....

IMG_20170110_104812459_zpsulgyddm7.jpg

So the standard buffer is a meager 5.14 ounces? That's surprising!

Now, the disassembly....

IMG_20170110_111935511_zpsckbaol7g.jpg

Also somewhat surprising! It consists of an aluminum housing, 5 tungsten weights, 5 rubber spacers, an aluminum spacer, and the plastic endcap and roll pin.

Next up, making a blueprint of the existing buffer, from which to fabricate my heavy buffer.

1 minute ago, blue109 said:

Tungsten in a standard buffer? I thought they were only In the H buffers?

There's probably more of them in a heavy buffer. That aluminium spacer would allow a couple more to fit, and the housing itself weighs almost nothing. A stainless housing would be much more substantial weight.

Just now, survivalshop said:

Whats your target weight of the completed Buffer ?

I'm not sure yet. I know the Slash heavy buffers are 10 oz. so anything heavier than that will be fine. I'm hoping that the finished profile is at least 15 oz. and I can remove as much metal as is necessary to make it function correctly.