• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What to do...

LouEVIL Slugger

15 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yes Wash. We can shoot in Michigan. The problem is finding places that go out further than 200 yards, for when we come to AZ, CO and NV.

I've seen the "Yep, we got em" only to find out that they are on backorder a checkout. I am a patient guy and I really want to buy it from this other place. (Jay's Sporting Goods)

Not a commercial for them. I just know their capabilities.

We got a nice 300 yard range over here across the pond ? Think there's a long range spot in Racine area too only heard of it tho

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/21/2017 at 10:43 AM, Sisco said:

I wouldn't change a thing until you have put a couple hundred rounds of high quality ammo through it so you have a baseline assessment on which to draw. The original Armalite's

(read older models). Utilized something called "Integrated systems engineering'. which essentially means the operation of one part can affect the performance of another. An original Armalite part might be spec'd out to interact with other parts of the system optimally. I believe RRA did this as well. That is part of the reason they could guarantee 1-1.5 MOA's with their rifles. Know what you have first, before changing it, so you can change it back if you don't get the performance you want. As far as optics, my next one will be the Primary Arms 1x6 with the 7.62/5.56 BDC grid. My second choice for reasonable price would be either the Nikon M308 BDC or a good Nikon Monarch if you aren't interested in the BDC feature.Engr Bob is right about cheap glass working well most the time. You are paying for the warranty and for better odds that nothing will break over the life of the scope.

Thanks for the suggestions. Went out and shot this weekend with the iron sights. Love how the gun shoots, I was very accurate, but I definitely need to get some optics on it tho. I don't have binocular vision, neither does my girlfriend.

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Yes Wash. We can shoot in Michigan. The problem is finding places that go out further than 200 yards, for when we come to AZ, CO and NV.

I've seen the "Yep, we got em" only to find out that they are on backorder a checkout. I am a patient guy and I really want to buy it from this other place. (Jay's Sporting Goods)

Not a commercial for them. I just know their capabilities.

If we don't support our LGS'S they go out of business.

1 hour ago, LouEVIL Slugger said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Went out and shot this weekend with the iron sights. Love how the gun shoots, I was very accurate, but I definitely need to get some optics on it tho. I don't have binocular vision, neither does my girlfriend.

Great! glad you got it. You will really enjoy it.

1 hour ago, survivalshop said:

Does anyone have any experience with a refurb? I'm seems like that is something I wouldn't want broken once before.

4 hours ago, LouEVIL Slugger said:

Does anyone have any experience with a refurb? I'm seems like that is something I wouldn't want broken once before.

I have had & still have a bunch of Scopes from Nikon that are refurbished , most are from display & the Factory goes over them . I have never had an issue with one .

1 minute ago, survivalshop said:

I have had & still have a bunch of Scopes from Nikon that are refurbished , most are from display & the Factory goes over them . I have never had an issue with one .

Bead blast the finger prints off it and touch up the scratches lol

8 hours ago, shepp said:

We got a nice 300 yard range over here across the pond ? Think there's a long range spot in Racine area too only heard of it tho

Morgan  way to go....our 500 yd range shutdown this last summer ..such a shame....all we have now is lousy 100 yd ranges.... get your scope on ..you will like it a bunch...if the P is anything like the m you can zero at 100 then all substentions are right on the money provided you use the 168 match...so I guess I need to move to your State...you got more long distance ranges than I do...lol   :thumbup:  Wash

I have never found a thing wrong or a Blemish on one & I have got a lot of them in the past , but of course if any of you'all buy one it will probably screw up :laffs:The refurbished are the only ones I pick up any more , if I'm getting a Nikon . They come in a White Box & have a 90 day warranty , never needed to send one back yet & I have several on my 12 ga. Slug guns .

All of the Natchezss links are for M-308 scopes. My choice is the P-308 in 30mm, 4-16X and 42 objective BDC. I'm not crazy about the BDC here in Mich as the longest shot is 120 yrds and down to 70 in my blind. A difference of 3" on an animal is easily allowed for.

Where the BDC will come in handy is on the open field shots that are allowed me on special hunts 300 to 600 yrds. Kills, more like it. Farmers are allowed permits for this and call them long bow hunts.

Hornady 168's are my hunting rounds

The first thing I do is put a freefloat tube on it and then glass! I've built 2 of my own AR-10 DPMS pattern rifles on 80% Hellfire lowers and uppers and also helped my friend build one with the same lower and upper. I had issues with accuracy on my first one and finally figured out that gas pressure is everything when it comes to accuracy! I didn't put an adjustable gas block on mine and my friend did. Long story short, shot 1/2 " groups with his  1 1/2" with mine! Put adj gas block on mine and tuned it in and shot.300" group at 100yds. and consistently hits at 1000yds  on 12x18" steel plate weather permitting! I bought  a 6-25x 56mm ADE advanced optics scope off of amazon for $209.00 same scope as my Millet but 300 cheaper must come from the same factory because it is I identical  without the millet logo. Friend bought one for his and now has it on his 50cal. awesome scope for the money no issues at all and I've  had it for 6 months with about 500 + rds on it. I'm shooting Hornady 168 hpbt 44 grs of varget ,mil brass, and win mag primer. Getting right at 2589- 2600fps on the chronograph. Hope that helps!  

8 hours ago, Morgan said:

All of the Natchezss links are for M-308 scopes. My choice is the P-308 in 30mm, 4-16X and 42 objective BDC. I'm not crazy about the BDC here in Mich as the longest shot is 120 yrds and down to 70 in my blind. A difference of 3" on an animal is easily allowed for.

Where the BDC will come in handy is on the open field shots that are allowed me on special hunts 300 to 600 yrds. Kills, more like it. Farmers are allowed permits for this and call them long bow hunts.

Hornady 168's are my hunting rounds

Have you looked through the two scopes for a comparison ? 

https://www.natchezss.com/p-308-4-12x40-matte-bdc800.html , the other models are out of stock .

Edited by survivalshop

I have looked through the M-308 and P-308, 1" tube and this is why I have chosen the P-308 in 30mm, SS. That glass is amazing and I have to imagine the one I want is even more so. It is supposed to be built for the rigors of the 308 cartridge, so................. as stated above, the glass should match the expectations. While I don't throw my rifles around, I wanted something that I don't have to constantly raise my voice to people about being careful not to bump it. Weight is only going to be a factor, if I have to walk the line. It's not an issue for hunting and recreational shooting. Accuracy is. So, I bought the heavy rings to go with it. If one moves, everything moves.

I almost bought the M-308, 2 years ago. I am hoping that I made the right decision to wait for this one. Besides, I have gift certificates and bonus points that will ease the pain. LOL

" M " stands for their Monarch series , a big step above the " P" which is their Prostaff series & they have several grades of it , but the Monarch is their top of the line glass . While the others are good , the Monarch glass is their best & once you compare them , you will see . All will be great at 100 yards , but going past that the Monarch will show off the others . 

You should not worry about the warranty , they will fix anything that might come up , if it does , like I said , if you have ever shot a 12ga. slug gun , it has a more punishing recoil then a 50 cal .. I don't blame you for wanting a lifetime warranty in writing , it can only be a good thing .

12 hours ago, Morgan said:

I have looked through the M-308 and P-308, 1" tube and this is why I have chosen the P-308 in 30mm, SS. That glass is amazing and I have to imagine the one I want is even more so. It is supposed to be built for the rigors of the 308 cartridge, so................. as stated above, the glass should match the expectations. While I don't throw my rifles around, I wanted something that I don't have to constantly raise my voice to people about being careful not to bump it. Weight is only going to be a factor, if I have to walk the line. It's not an issue for hunting and recreational shooting. Accuracy is. So, I bought the heavy rings to go with it. If one moves, everything moves.

I almost bought the M-308, 2 years ago. I am hoping that I made the right decision to wait for this one. Besides, I have gift certificates and bonus points that will ease the pain. LOL

Here's a P308 in stock .

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/71797

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/71785

Edited by survivalshop

On 1/31/2017 at 10:17 PM, beachmaster said:

You can easily get Leupold scopes in this price range. You don't need crazy magnification unless you are shooting paper for fun.

Less magnification with better glass = dead targets ;-)

I shoot paper targets for fun. Never considered leupold. 

Nikon Mseries seems to be a good line and I'm going to give them a try I guess