• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What to do...

LouEVIL Slugger

On 1/31/2017 at 2:10 PM, survivalshop said:

" M " stands for their Monarch series , a big step above the " P" which is their Prostaff series & they have several grades of it , but the Monarch is their top of the line glass . While the others are good , the Monarch glass is their best & once you compare them , you will see . All will be great at 100 yards , but going past that the Monarch will show off the others . 

You should not worry about the warranty , they will fix anything that might come up , if it does , like I said , if you have ever shot a 12ga. slug gun , it has a more punishing recoil then a 50 cal .. I don't blame you for wanting a lifetime warranty in writing , it can only be a good thing .

My standard AR10 A4 with the Nikon Monarch on it is at least as accurate, probably more, then my AR10T bull barrel carbine with a Burris 3x9 Fullfield on it. Comparing apples to oranges, but good optics make a huge difference.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on Sisco ...you said    " M " stands for their Monarch series , a big step above the " P" which is their Prostaff series & they have several grades of it , but the Monarch is their top of the line glass . While the others are good , the Monarch glass is their best & once you compare them , you will see . All will be great at 100 yards , but going past that the Monarch will show off the others . 

Before I got the M-308's I had Monarchs on pretty much everything they shot lights- outs,but the reticles were not to my liking...so get me a M-308 and compare at the range and all my Monarchs got put on ebay so I could get more m-308's. I like em cause once you get em dialed in, the bdc works great out to 500 fairly good... at 2,3,4 hundred the bdc would allow me to shoot moa using the privy 168 match....500 would hit a man size steel plate but no moa.... ..and now its sad to say that the range closed down because of a azzhat neighbor miles away complaining..... back to the Nikon its good ...but then theres the Vortex pst's...don't ever look thru one of those it will spoil you and drain your wallet in a flash ,but we are talkin close to a grand including the mount....as luck would have it a friend is a dealer for vortex:banana:   Wash

On 1/31/2017 at 10:17 PM, beachmaster said:

You can easily get Leupold scopes in this price range. You don't need crazy magnification unless you are shooting paper for fun.

Beach , when you get older , you may change your tune about needing magnification . Its a fact of life , your eyes will deteriorate , like it or not .? :laffs:

As far as a Leupold near the price range of the P308 the poster is talking about , you need to show me that Scope in the Leupold line , with the same features the P308 has . Think the Leupold scopes are great Glass , but they have a price to go with it , just like all the better class Scopes out there . 

Saying that , you are paying for the name also .

33 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Beach , when you get older , you may change your tune about needing magnification . Its a fact of life , your eyes will deteriorate , like it or not .? :laffs:

As far as a Leupold near the price range of the P308 the poster is talking about , you need to show me that Scope in the Leupold line , with the same features the P308 has . Think the Leupold scopes are great Glass , but they have a price to go with it , just like all the better class Scopes out there . 

Your not kidding SS. 

My eyes arent what they use to be. My neighbor asked why Im going with the PA 6-24x50 308 hud dmr scope. 

So i can see what the hell im shooting at!!! Lmao:banana:

Here is my plan. I wanted the larger tube for the durability it "may" offer. Benefit too, of the 42 mm view and 16 X. I will, when the damn thing comes in, compare the 2 scopes M-308/P-308 side by each and make my decision based on what I see. My current rings are 1" and I have the 30mm in hand to put on in the event of the change. I'm a meat and taters guy, so I bought heavy duty, steel rings both times. The place did not require me to pre-pay for the scope, which is a bonus, but I will have to drive 250 miles to get it, within 10 days of them notifying me. A good thing I like to drive. My point being most of all, durable. I'm not doing this again.

8 hours ago, survivalshop said:

"with same features"

You can get better glass, the same magnification, and no features.

When it comes to glass vs features, Ill go with glass. Because when you scope fogs or fails, those features are worthless.

That's just been my experience at least.

You guys crack me up. I have looked at loopy glass scopes. I cannot recall which models, but they were in this same price range. The biggest store is Cabela's, for looking any distance, so it is not a real test of how good the glass is at much further than 100 yds. This is not a try it and return it, because you don't like it item. I guess I could ask. If I do, the worst they can say is no. Both good names, true enough. I thank you for looking out for all of us in this thread.

Okay guys this will help you in choosing a great scope.

So last nite was opening night of Texas Rat season....you can only shoot does and the limit is 10.  You cant shoot center mass cause it will ruin the meat.This gal was shot at 400 yds right in the jaw using 168 privi . So this is the reason for great glass....since the buck rats dont have horns you need a scope that can see the nipples on the doe

Case closed!      Wash

24924.gif

7 minutes ago, washguy said:

So last nite was opening night of Texas Rat season....you can only shoot does and the limit is 10.  You cant shoot center mass cause it will ruin the meat.This gal was shot at 400 yds right in the jaw using 168 privi . So this is the reason for great glass....since the buck rats dont have horns you need a scope that can see the nipples on the doe

Case closed!      Wash

24924.gif

Wash

Please tell me you do not eat those little bastards:laffs:

2 hours ago, washguy said:

Case closed!      Wash

24924.gif

You shooting that far in your attic ? :lmao:

6 hours ago, beachmaster said:

"with same features"

You can get better glass, the same magnification, and no features.

When it comes to glass vs features, Ill go with glass. Because when you scope fogs or fails, those features are worthless.

That's just been my experience at least.

I agree , but thats not what he wants , he is sold on the P308 & its not a bad choice , Nikon is under rated as is Burris , they both have great Glass  . We all know their is better out there  .:thumbup:

I'm sold on the m308, with the BDC.  Not the P. Got the gun for so cheap figure I can splurge a bit on the glass. 

Looking at this stock:        http://www.luth-ar.com/product/mba-1/

this hand guard:       https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/utg-pro-made-in-usa-15-keymod-free-float-rail-for-ar10-4717385550940.do

is the 270$ magpul stock that much better??

I have a Nikon M223 2.5-10x40 laser IRT scope for my one AR15 . Glass is super clear. Had a problem 6 months in with mount ( Nikon exclusive to this scope) which the hardware they give u is garbage. I bought upgraded hardware for it. Only complaint was Nikon refused to stand behind their product even though I registered the scope.

It took almost 3 months later to get them to send me a new mount with hardware. Which I found to be poor customer service. It shouldn't take a hand full of phone calls and emails with them arguing about sending me new hardware and a mount.

Now im using Primary Arms for alot of optic purchases just cause they stand be their product and others as well. 

1 minute ago, LouEVIL Slugger said:

I haven't looked any where else but thought $150 wasn't bad for 15" free float

Doesn't matter how cheap they sell things, they took advantage of their customers in an extreme way during the sandy hook scare and will never see one dime of my money. I will also continue to remind people of this everytime I see there name come up. 

Here is a link to UTG rails from a reputable dealer;

http://www.primaryarms.com/Brand+Leapers--SLASH--UTG/MCategories+AR-15-Rails--AND--Handguards

19 minutes ago, blue109 said:

If CTD sent me free AR parts, I would pewp on them and send them back. 

Just send me all them nasty old CTD parts. I have a CIA pilot friend that flies  air-cargo out of Kenya and Dubai and he will laundry them for us, they will come back with a ISIS clean bill of  sale!

Edited by mrmackc