• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What to do...

LouEVIL Slugger

So a few of you welcomed me and saw this beauty I came across. And to that I say thank you.  I am going to get rid of the stock and handguard.  Going with a full length free float handguard, where all you see is the muzzle break sticking out plus maybe a few inches.  Stock still unsure on.   Also going to put a scope, in the range of $4-500ish, on it.  Would like to be able to shoot 500 yards.

My question is, is there something else that should be replaced?  Take in mind I haven't shot the thing yet.

Is the trigger sub par, maybe the barrel is a weak link, etc etc.?  You all have a lot more experience that I do and looking for some input.

Thanks

ar 10 1.jpg

ar 10 2.jpg

ar 10 and 15.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd think maybe you'd want to pull the trigger a few times and put something down range to understand exactly what you have prior to considering making changes.  Glass is always a good thing so maybe start there if you *must* spend money, but not sure if 4-500 will get you what you state you are after

I'd suggest this for glass - and it's almost half of what you originally stated. 

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle-pa4-14xffp308

Check that one out.  Get something mounted, and shoot the rifle, then make a bunch of future change decisions...  :thumbup:

46 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I'd suggest this for glass - and it's almost half of what you originally stated. 

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle-pa4-14xffp308

Check that one out.  Get something mounted, and shoot the rifle, then make a bunch of future change decisions...  :thumbup:

I actually bought one of those this past year, very well made, I've only used it once putting around 80 rounds downrange with it, didn't spend a lot of time dialing it in - too bust doing a break-in on the new rig but, all in all very pleased for the $

P.S. I bought the optional sun shade and butler flip caps - nice additions

5 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

Truth right there.

Ever see someone with a nice, higher-end stainless and wood rifle, then they put a silver Simmons on it?

The cheap-ass Simmons was on the serial#24 308 ,till I broke it.

The cheap-ass silver NC Star is on the custom shop stainless steel Win 70 feather weight .

2 hours ago, Rsquared said:

Don't be bashful man. Jump in and MF these bastards.

Afterall.....they deserve it somewhere.

There just mad because I put a $100 BSA scope on a 24" 6.8spc rifle. And they didn't think they could get away with it. Or maybe it was the cheap Bushnell I put on the 308.

Believe me, I spoke from experience on both sides of the glass discussion.  I have both cheap a$$ glass and good (Shepherd's & Leupold) glass on rifles. You don't  regret spending more only as long as you can forget what you spent on that glass, but every time it performs flawlessly.....regrets dissolve.

Despite all of the talk about cheap glass, I have had very good luck with UTG scopes.  I have both 4-16 and 2-16 versions that hold zero perfectly, have a parallax adjustment at the turret location and are very clear.  The clarity is almost the same as my Vortex PST 6-24.  I suppose there is a reason to spend big dollars on a scope, but the UTGs work for me and are very reasonable.