What to do...

LouEVIL Slugger

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

Truth right there.

Ever see someone with a nice, higher-end stainless and wood rifle, then they put a silver Simmons on it?

Being smart buying a rifle scope isn't just about throwing dollars at a prestigious vendor ,beware  quality does not always follow the price curve.

19 hours ago, mrmackc said:

Being smart buying a rifle scope isn't just about throwing dollars at a prestigious vendor ,beware  quality does not always follow the price curve.

I agree, and that is part of the reason to watch for the lower tiers of differing vendors....some of their low tier glass is worse than the cheap imports.

I wouldn't change a thing until you have put a couple hundred rounds of high quality ammo through it so you have a baseline assessment on which to draw. The original Armalite's

(read older models). Utilized something called "Integrated systems engineering'. which essentially means the operation of one part can affect the performance of another. An original Armalite part might be spec'd out to interact with other parts of the system optimally. I believe RRA did this as well. That is part of the reason they could guarantee 1-1.5 MOA's with their rifles. Know what you have first, before changing it, so you can change it back if you don't get the performance you want. As far as optics, my next one will be the Primary Arms 1x6 with the 7.62/5.56 BDC grid. My second choice for reasonable price would be either the Nikon M308 BDC or a good Nikon Monarch if you aren't interested in the BDC feature.Engr Bob is right about cheap glass working well most the time. You are paying for the warranty and for better odds that nothing will break over the life of the scope.

1 hour ago, bubbas4570 said:

I agree, and that is part of the reason to watch for the lower tiers of differing vendors....some of their low tier glass is worse than the cheap imports.

Their lower tier glass is probably made in the same plant in China as the "cheap" imports. A few cosmetic and labeling changes, and it is marketed as their own.

I am waiting on the Nikon P-308, 4-16 in 30mm tube and 42mm view, BDC and waiting and waiting...

It looks like it is going to be a fabulous fit for my rig to replace my Simmons Pro Hunter of 1984. It went whack between groups of fire and I couldn't believe it went so bad. Tapping it on the top with my open hand, put it right back on the money and I still can't figure out what happened. I no longer trust it.

I bought new 30 mm steel rings with 6 screws from Brownells and made a 30mm plus .0015 and minus .0005 shaft to fit them up to. I am glad I did! There were 2 raised burrs on one of the rings and 1 on the other. I don't know if they got this way from a weird drop or whatever, but you'd think after paying that much for quality rings, they'd be pretty perfect. That could have been a disaster. Some 80 grit and then 600 fine paper took care of the burrs, but I will forever have to treat the rings for rust prevention now.

Now, if that damn scope would arrive. Did anybody see these at the Shot Show? 

20 hours ago, Morgan said:

I am waiting on the Nikon P-308, 4-16 in 30mm tube and 42mm view, BDC and waiting and waiting...

Morgan    Why the wait?    http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-308-4-16x42mm-riflescope.html

http://www.cabelas.com/product/NIKON-P/1981901.uts

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/184587/nikon-p-308-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-4-16x-42mm-side-focus-bdc800-reticle-matte

Wash

Edited by washguy

Well, there's that.............. They are not all telling the truth about it being in stock, once you hit the button. The place I did order it from provides expert set up and the range is close by. Well known in Michigan, place and does have serious buying power.

22 minutes ago, washguy said:

Bean    How many did ya get?  I hear they are fine scopes....lol       :banana:    Wash

One...........for now. Well not yet, but damn that a great price for that scope. :banana: Hmm...ask the wife for permission or forgiveness? Fuk it, forgiveness for $219 Alex!  :laffs:

8 minutes ago, SNKEBIT said:

What an ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :hornet::bitchslap:

lol

Hey Snake, you're right, I am an ass. :laffs: Did ya buy one yet? :lmao:

Edited by beantown

11 minutes ago, shepp said:

Are the exactly the same as the ones wash posted?!

The one I posted is the 40mm. Wash posted the 42mm. I will say that 40mm is a pretty darn good deal. swfa.com = crack dealers!

O look more crack. M-308 4-16X42 $449 :lmao: That's the 1" tube model. Holly crap, I'm about to be my own crack dealer. :laffs:

Edited by beantown

36 minutes ago, beantown said:

The one I posted is the 40mm. Wash posted the 42mm. I will say that 40mm is a pretty darn good deal. swfa.com = crack dealers!

O look more crack. M-308 4-16X42 $449 :lmao: That's the 1" tube model. Holly crap, I'm about to be my own crack dealer. :laffs:

Bean and Shepp    Yep the one Morgan is wanting is the 42  that I posted...  I don't have the P-308's...all of mine are the m-308's and they are 42...Tony has got the P and really likes it

Bean and Shepp get the M-308 they are sweet ...just a few dollars more to go first class...why not...ya cant take it with ya....go for the M-308...just doooo it

:thumbup:         Wash

Yes Wash. We can shoot in Michigan. The problem is finding places that go out further than 200 yards, for when we come to AZ, CO and NV.

I've seen the "Yep, we got em" only to find out that they are on backorder a checkout. I am a patient guy and I really want to buy it from this other place. (Jay's Sporting Goods)

Not a commercial for them. I just know their capabilities.

Edited by Morgan