• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Largest Inside Diameter Handguard

Matt60

Hi all new here to the forum and after a lot of searching I decided to join to try and get some info. So my current build consists of a Fulton Armory upper (DPMS low profile) and lower reciever, magpul PRS, Geiselle 2 stage trigger, Fulton Armory bcg, and Criterion 20" .308 barrel from Fulton .875 . Below is a diagram of the Superlative Arms gas block I have right now and am having trouble finding a handgaurd to clear it. I just returned a handguard with an ID of 1.5 and it was a very tight fit with no room for barrel whip. I would prefer to keep the gas block but if i have to i will switch to an SLR adjustable. So does anyone have suggestions for a handguards larger than 1.5 ID? Or has anyone ran this gas block with any success? 

0_.875_Adjustable_Block_Clamp-on-SA_large.jpg

13 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I don't think the gasblock is gonna move when fired - if it's not hitting your handguard when installed, it's not gonna hit when fired...

Well the reason I ask I have seen the videos in slow motion of people shooting and the barrel is moving quit a lot. Of course I don't know what size barrel they are using. 

But after looking around some more I stumbled apon this and I think I may try it out because it is much smaller. Anyone used this JP block? 

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-10D

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Matt60 said:

So I ended up going with the JP gas block with a JP handgaurd and I couldn't be happier. I can't say enough good things about JP quality...even their packaging. 

It's great that you found what you were looking for and it worked out well.  The only thing left for you to do is to take pictures and show the completed project.:thumbup:

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

3 hours ago, Matt60 said:

...do yall think theveryone cerakote just needs to break in a bit? 

Cerakote goes on at 5/10,000" thick.  Cerakote doesn't need to break in.

The rest of the rifle does, but the Cerakote isn't gonna hold it up. 

6 hours ago, Matt60 said:

My local shop said they just use lithium grease. 

That's NOT a good idea.  Works for the Mk19 Grenade Machine Gun, but that's not the choice for the Big AR. No matter what the local shop said.

MK19-02.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That's NOT a good idea.  Works for the Mk19 Grenade Machine Gun, but that's not the choice for the Big AR. No matter what the local shop said.

MK19-02.jpg

Off topic but on topic. The ar45 upper came today they used white lithium grease, I would assume for storage, should I degrease and wait for a bottle for uncle toms super lube?

i mean .45 acp is like lobbing a grenade but........

Edited by shepp

1 minute ago, shepp said:

Off topic but on topic. The ar45 upper came today they used white lithium grease, I would assume for storage, should I degrease and wait for a bottle for uncle toms super lube?

Degrease it, and you can run M-Pro 7 in the meantime, and I'll get you hooked up with The Lube...  :thumbup:

I'll get you some pics of where the carrier wears the most - get the lube there, for sure.