2017 Spring Shootfest AAR

Matt.Cross

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As an aside, shooting in the dark with a suppressor... 1st class awesomeness. No muzzle flash, no visual impairment, just a soft crack followed by sparks at the target, and the sound of uncomfortable shifting as we fight to keep our erections from ruining our prone position.

^^^  Both those vids were on the 100 yard target.  Both of 'em.   I was shooting the Mk12 with the AAC Brakeout muzzle device, and I'm surprised it works that well at night.  Kudos to AAC on that beast.  Matt was on his Mega .308, and blew the steel target frame apart with the rapid-fire hits to the steel plate.  The metal target frame literally jumped apart...  :lmao:

I know Mike still has vids of the 435 yard target night shoot...   Somewhere on that phone!... 

Soooo.....

~Midnight, April 1st 

Having completed a badass midnight distance shoot, we're once again watching Ranger TV and talking about the day's events, when Mike spots a white pickup wandering around off in the distance. Nobody thought much of it, just noted that it didn't have but a single working headlight and a mounted spotlight. You're never really alone out at the AO, and it pays to keep your head on a swivel, so Tom loaded a mag into an AR and slung it across his barrel gorilla chest. We continued to talk and BS around the fire, keeping a weather eye on the status of the white pickup, which continued to wander around the desert at random, spotlighting the terrain.

Eventually, the occupants of said pickup spotted our camp, and decided to come over and get acquainted. Said occupants were more than a little inebriated, talking loudly, laughing, yelling, generally acting like a bunch of stupid drunk adolescents.

They rolled up on the camp, spotlight glaring, Mike had headed towards his car to retrieve his handgun when he saw them head towards camp. Larry was packing and I figured we were plenty well strapped to deal with dumb yahoos. As they rolled up on camp, Mike returns to just outside the firelight with his pistol behind his back and the drunks start hollering slurred questions in an attempt to begin a conversation:

"Ya'll out here partying?" - this said almost incredulously, as if strangers camping in the desert at the nicest time of year is just unfathomable.

"We saw you guys' camp and thought we'd come see what's up...." - several are now talking at once, including a adolescent female who seems to be the Alpha of this drunken gaggle. Meanwhile the spotlight that has been wobbling all over the camp sight comes to rest on Tom, who has for some time been looking away from the fire and any lights, preserving his night sight. Tom turns and squares off against the truck, his hands on the rifle, relaxed but ready...

The truck occupants falter into silence and the spotlight goes out suddenly, as if an afterthought.

"We're just out here camping guys, that's all."

Alpha female becomes clumsily polite and apologetic, leading off with "Oh God, we're really sorry, we didn't mean to roll up on you guys and spotlight you and all that...." A drunk cohort chimes in helpfully with "Yeah, we thought you guys were out here partying and we thought we'd check it out..." The whole group starts talking at once and Alpha female shuts them up by setting the new agenda, getting the fuck away from these dangerous looking dudes camped in the desert. More apologies follow as they turn around and head back into the desert, and we all look at each other and start laughing and talking about WTF just happened, and can't wait to put this one on the forums.

Good times!

Right when they came to a stop, I press-checked the momentary switch on the SureFire on the rail...  That got their attention - at least the ones that were able to focus, anyway...

I remember them asking a couple questions...  and the only thing I could think of to say, at the time, was, "Can I HELP you with something?!..."

What I really meant by the rhetorical question was, "I'm gonna HELP you get the fuk outta my camp..."

They understood, and Alpha-Female was composing their departure rapidly... 

2 hours ago, 392heminut said:

That situation was a little tense at the the time but we definitely had a good laugh about it after they hightailed it off into the distance!

It would not have ended well for them !

Matt I was in front of the truck racking the gun. They didn't see me until Tom started talking.

30 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Bet they avoid that stretch of desert for a while. Question: Did the Alpha chick have crazy eyes?(that just popped into my sedated head-surgery today)

I didn't get a look at her. She was either stupid or just an outright slut, getting drunk with a truckful of males in the middle of nowhere.

The situation went the very best way it could have - when they saw that they just rolled up on us, unwelcomed, and fuckin' spotlighting us, they immediately began the Turn-Around Drill and got the fuk out of there, thus activating their Escape & Evasion Protocol (E&E Plan).  That's the best thing that they decided all night.

The WORST thing that they could have done, thankfully didn't happen.  In my mind, the worst possible rapid-decisions that they could have made were to feel tough, all jacked up on liquid courage, and all get out at the same time, and try to force us "to hang out with them."  Right off the bat, that one-eyed Ford truck would have had a BUNCH of leaks.  Immediately.  That was Step 1.   I doubt it would have gone beyond that.