• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mine Hates My Reloads

Inthebushes

Im new to the AR10 platform, but have been shooting and reloading AR like platform for years.  Shoot almost daily and every weekend; typical stuff, pistols, Grendel, 5.56, 300 BLK, etc.  My wife got me a 10 lower for Father's Day.  A new sickness was born.  I'm not rich, so I try not to spend a lot of money, and I try and do things myself.  I usually spend more, than if I had just went and bought one, but that's part of the sickness.  My first AR10 hates my reloads.  It works 100% with factory.  Single reload, fires, bolt locks back.  Load a magazine, fires first one but jams the second one in there before the first one can get out of the way.  It's a timing problem.  Creedmoor, 24 inch barrel, 39 gr H380. 140 Hornady ELD match.  Is it the H380?  The gun loves the factory loaded 140s.  All reloads pass the case gauge.

Welcome from Wisconsin. Did you use small base dies? What is the brass manufacturer? How many times has the brass been used? Are you using standard or magnum primers? But I think you are right, it is the H380. While it is my understanding that Hodgdon doesn't have any data for that powder use in 308, a quick survey of reloader forums shows that any one using a load is using quite a bit higher powder charge than your load. Plus it is a slow burning powder and you are using it with a light weight bullet.. I am guessing that that load is not moving the bolt fast enough to get good ejection, and the second round is trying to load while the first is in the way. I would not try H380 myself unless the manufacturer has data, as you would need to find what the safe pressures are if you are changing the powder charge. The bullet and powder and charge just do not sound like a good match.

Appreciate the welcomes, sorry for posting in the wrong area and I'll pay more attention, and thanks for the advice.  I shortened everything up a bit today and all was well.  I noticed the factory Hornady had slight marks on loaded but unfired bullets.  I was copying their dimensions.  I shortened the COAL a hair  and dropped back to 36 grains on 10 rounds, and they ran fine.  That was all I had time for today.  I'll be reading everyone's post looking forward to learning what you guys know.  Thanks again to everyone.

1 hour ago, Inthebushes said:

Appreciate the welcomes, sorry for posting in the wrong area and I'll pay more attention, and thanks for the advice.  I shortened everything up a bit today and all was well.  I noticed the factory Hornady had slight marks on loaded but unfired bullets.  I was copying their dimensions.  I shortened the COAL a hair  and dropped back to 36 grains on 10 rounds, and they ran fine.  That was all I had time for today.  I'll be reading everyone's post looking forward to learning what you guys know.  Thanks again to everyone.

It's fine, it's a good place to start things out!

17 hours ago, Inthebushes said:

No reason to be sorry , not really the wrong area , just look at how long some of the threads here :thumbup: