• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newb from Minnesota

dubya

Howdy guys, been a lurker here for awhile but recently registered after I took delivery of a new PA10. 

I did change out the MOE stock for a PRS G3 and the flash hider for a Precision Armament M41 brake. This is not a lightweight, not compared to the AR15s and 6 pound bolt rifles I'm used to anyway! I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet and may not until the foot of snow we got last night clears up a bit ?. I have a new Bushnell SMRS 1-6.5x24 on order for the rifle but I'm not sure which mount I will use, I'm leaning towards the Aero lightweight though. 

I don't do a ton of hunting anymore, mainly just deer rifle season and an occasional coyote if the opportunity arises. I'll mostly use the new 308 for range fun and deer hunting if I'm in the stand (I like to hunt on foot alot and typically use my ~6 pound 338 Fed bolt gun). Other than that, the only thing I may upgrade is adding an adjustable gas block. 

Anyway, that's just a bit about myself and what brought me to the forum. Thanks for having me ?

dubya

Resized_20180216_172910_1981.jpeg

On 2/25/2018 at 2:19 PM, dubya said:

I have a new Bushnell SMRS 1-6.5x24 on order

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

I've been interested in that one.

Got two, one of each reticle in SFP. Great scopes for the intended range, I have used one to 300 yards with good results. Here is a review with some info on mounts that did and didn't work as well as info on the BDC reticle. Bushnell has upped their game on the warranty since I bought them, now the elite line is a no questions asked fix or replace and no more $20 "fee" for the service.

5 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Got two, one of each reticle in SFP. Great scopes for the intended range, I have used one to 300 yards with good results. Here is a review with some info on mounts that did and didn't work as well as info on the BDC reticle. Bushnell has upped their game on the warranty since I bought them, now the elite line is a no questions asked fix or replace and no more $20 "fee" for the service.

I just ordered mine so I won't have it mounted and to the range for a couple weeks. I'l have to check my order, I could have sworn mine is a FFP but now I'm not sure. Is the reticle pretty crisp at max magnification?

8 hours ago, dubya said:

Is the reticle pretty crisp at max magnification?

Very crisp in both scopes. I have bad eyes so it took some adjusting but for me the focus is crisp, others that look through them see it as a bit blurry.

8 hours ago, dubya said:

I'd like to get a LaRue QD mount but the Aero Precision lightweight mount is probably what I'll end up with considering it's half the price and I've always been happy with lowers from Aero. 

For me the extended style mounts are required. I have one in a Primary Arms extended mount and one in an ADM extended mount, no issues with either mount, the PA did take a bit of lapping to get a real even fit.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, dubya said:

Thanks for the welcome guys. 

ARTrooper, I'm in Saint Francis a small town about 45-60 minutes north of the twin cities. 

Dubya, is the Minnetonka gun club still near St. Francis? My Father belonged to it when it was down east of St. Bonifacious on Hwy 7. That is where I learned to shoot.

On 2/27/2018 at 5:23 AM, jtallen83 said:

Very crisp in both scopes. I have bad eyes so it took some adjusting but for me the focus is crisp, others that look through them see it as a bit blurry.

For me the extended style mounts are required. I have one in a Primary Arms extended mount and one in an ADM extended mount, no issues with either mount, the PA did take a bit of lapping to get a real even fit.

I very rarely shoot past 300, with most under 150 whether it's at the range or deer hunting.

I think I'm going to get the Aero mount that's set forward 1", they make 2", 1" and no offset. I have a buddy that got me a pretty good deal on the scope from his work and I'm really not sure if he ordered me the FFP or SFP. I guess it probably won't matter a whole lot in a 6x scope but I was/am a bit leery of how accurate I can be with an illuminated SFP at full power. Glad you spoke up though, I'm not too concerned about it now. 

14 minutes ago, dubya said:

I very rarely shoot past 300, with most under 150 whether it's at the range or deer hunting.

I think I'm going to get the Aero mount that's set forward 1", they make 2", 1" and no offset. I have a buddy that got me a pretty good deal on the scope from his work and I'm really not sure if he ordered me the FFP or SFP. I guess it probably won't matter a whole lot in a 6x scope but I was/am a bit leery of how accurate I can be with an illuminated SFP at full power. Glad you spoke up though, I'm not too concerned about it now. 

Depends on what you like but the 1 inch offset mounts did not give me enough eye relief. 

20 hours ago, Sisco said:

Dubya, is the Minnetonka gun club still near St. Francis? My Father belonged to it when it was down east of St. Bonifacious on Hwy 7. That is where I learned to shoot.

I'm glad you asked that, I kind of forgot about that range. I used to shoot quite often but haven't much the last 4 years and I'm getting back into it. 

Minnetonka Gun Club is less than 3 miles from my house and I used to help out there for their deer rifle sight in weekend for a few years but never completed my membership. Back then there was a 2+ year waiting list so ill have to check it out again, find a sponsor and get on the list. 

15 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Depends on what you like but the 1 inch offset mounts did not give me enough eye relief. 

Maybe I'll just wait until the scope arrives to get a mount. I'd hate to spend $80 on something that isn't ideal for the rifle. 

Well I finally got the PA10 out to the range today and I have to say I'm extremely pleased with this rifle.

After reading about so many issues with the PA10 I fully expected to run into at least one or two hiccups but it ram and functioned flawlessly. Well, almost flawlessly, I did have an issue with my 10 round pmag popping out after the second round fired 2 different times. Im not sure what the deal was since all four of my 20 round pmags were perfect, maybe I need to do just a touch of sanding to the 10 rounder. 

My scope probably won't be here for another 2-3 weeks so my buddy lent me a cheap 3x9 Nikon and a spare bipod to use until the Bushnell shows up. I fired 80 rounds of Federal XM80, 40 rounds of Federal Premium Sierra Matchking and 20 rounds of Hornady Black with Amax bullets. After getting the scope dialed in I was shooting fairly quickly at 100 yards. The Matchking rounds were by far the most accurate at about 1 1/2" with the XM80 pushing 3". I'm pretty sure I can shrink those group's after a good cleaning and taking my time more with the shots.

I woulkd have been happy with it as a deer rifle if it was sub 2 MOA at the price point. All in all, I have no complaintsso far and think it' a fantastic rifle for a whopping $600 ($180 for the complete lower with the EPT trigger group & $420 for th4 20" stainless barreled upper). In total with the Bushnell SMRS scope, brake and PRS stock I'm close to $1600, but if someone wanted a true budget build staying under $800 scoped, this is a great choice from what I've seen so far. 

I might skip getting an adjustable gas block for now since it doesn't seem to be overly gassed, but I might try out a nice drop in trigger. 

dubya

Resized_20180303_145457_8753.jpeg

On 2/26/2018 at 8:00 PM, dubya said:

I'd like to get a LaRue QD mount but the Aero Precision lightweight mount is probably what I'll end up with considering it's half the price and I've always been happy with lowers from Aero. 

You can pull the LaRue mount for $160, if you choose the VFZ option - no QD levers.  If you don't intend to remove it, the VFZ mounting is very, very solid. 

Everybody runs out and get the LT-104 (SPR) mount, too.  I'd recommend the LT-158 mount (SPR-S).  It's the same as the LT-104, but it's got 10 MOA built into it.  The 104 mounts your optic centerline at 1.5 inches, the 158 mounts it at 1.44 inches - just a touch lower.  Having the 10 MOA built into the mount is far worth it. 

image.thumb.png.eb579e369d42477d4df1a5bf0d19eeac.png