• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

2018 Spring Shootfest AAR

98Z5V

19 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

She had a great time,even though it was just for an afternoon - she had to get back to my parent's place in Phx.  She's talking about coming back out for the Fall Shoot.  She was out a few years ago, several. I think it was 2012.  Been awhile, anyway. 

Did tanner come too?

We need to make the Fall Shoot longer this time.  By a couple days.

One Long Range Day.  Only.

One Long Range High Angle Day.  Up in the rocks, targets on the valley floor.

Another 2 days dedicated to shenanigans, short and midrange rifle/pistol, night shoots, etc. 

It's gotta happen...  

Edited by 98Z5V

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

We need to make the Fall Shoot longer this time.  By a couple days.

One Long Range Day.  Only.

One Long Range High Angle Day.  Up in the rocks, targets on the valley floor.

Another 2 days dedicated to shenanigans, short and midrange rifle/pistol. 

It's gotta happen...  

Don't threaten me with a good time, my pants are already down. :laffs:

I've got 3 profiles loaded into the Kestrel (12.5 Gren, 18 Gren, 308 178HPBT), and 6 profiles built in the computer program...  It's on.  I'm on the EuroOptic mailing list for when the rest of the Kestrel components come into stock - weathervane kit in FDE, IR data hard cable, computer BlueTooth adapter...

The ONLY way to load profiles directly from the computer to Kestrel is the IR cable.  We can use the computer to BlueTooth the shooting data onto, from the Kestrel.  I'll probably have an IPad by then anyway...  the way this shiit is going...

Speaking of updates...  

Fall Shoot last year - we did the night shoot at 450 yards, and had a small light to illuminate the target face.  We shot that thing, did some "target frame repair" after a misaligned firing incident (or seven), and kept shooting it.  That was on the last night.  The next day, people were breaking down their camps and rolling out, at various times.  We were nursing some GREG from the night prior, and generally just plinking rounds at closer targets.  We broke down, went downrange and pulled the 450 and 660 yard targets - and I forgot to get the light.

I've been out there a few more times since - but it sucks getting out there to the 450 in the damn daylight - let alone at night, when Matt got attacked.

So, this Spring Shoot, I made it a mission to go get that damn light.  I had a hard time finding the thing, and I swear I was looking RIGHT AT the location it was at - I saw the holes in the ground where the target was!!!  DAMNIT!!!  I walked uphill, and looked back, and I saw it right away - the green power putton and yellow LED screen...

Here's why I couldn't find it,when looking uphill at the target area - the AZ sun bleached that black annodized light right out...  

Top light is a new one, bottom light is the one I left out there...   :laffs:

P1060198.thumb.JPG.ec877407727232d66325ccef1e86e8ec.JPGP1060199.thumb.JPG.7aca1c595f60b776dc1c2844a5f5729f.JPG

With the great skill and precision exhibited by some of our members, and their demonstrated proficiency at hitting a 1" wide T-Post at 450 yards in the middle of the night...   It's no wonder that they grazed this small light, as well...   :thumbup::lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

Figured I would poke my head in since I haven't commented on anything in a while. I'm still around reading almost every day. Just been very busy and hasn't been much that my small amount of expertise can comment on. Warm weather brings more work, but I'll be lurking. Hope to join you guys on a shoot soon, but until then, love seeing everyone have a good time. 

Just now, ARTrooper said:

Figured I would poke my head in since I haven't commented on anything in a while. I'm still around reading almost every day. Just been very busy and hasn't been much that my small amount of expertise can comment on. Warm weather brings more work, but I'll be lurking. Hope to join you guys on a shoot soon, but until then, love seeing everyone have a good time. 

Fall shoot, no excuses. I’m coming out, for sure, with or with out wife (ya all heard that right). Need a vacation after all this training. 

And I’ll come grab you if I have to!! Plenty of time to work enough details for a flight and beer money!!

2 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

Fall shoot, no excuses. I’m coming out, for sure, with or with out wife (ya all heard that right). Need a vacation after all this training. 

And I’ll come grab you if I have to!! Plenty of time to work enough details for a flight and beer money!!

I’ll just tie him up with his own cuffs and toss him in the back the tundra

8 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Frame/bullet magnet.....  :thumbup:

i do rember offering up some glow sticks instead of the light but hot damn it survived!! you could definetly see the target once you had it in the scope.. 

i did knock off the 10" gong at the 575 range in the daylight.. but it was clean hits if i recall?

20 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

With the great skill and precision exhibited by some of our members, and their demonstrated proficiency at hitting a 1" wide T-Post at 450 yards in the middle of the night...   

I swear I've never seen anything like it....

*BOOM* "Miss, right side of target.." as t-post buckles and dumps weight of target on the other post.

"Are you sure that missed? It felt right...."

17 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

Lol. I'll see what I can do. We put in for vacation time during December for the whole following year. We can get vacation after that if it gets approved but it isn't guaranteed. Kind of a crappy way to plan a vacation, but heck, I get a lot more paid vacation than a lot of other jobs. 

As for money, I'll probably have to beg borrow and steal to survive. lol. 

Anyone know if there is even a chance that the military will let civilians use their ranges? I live less than 5 miles from some of the best military ranges in the Midwest.

1 hour ago, ARTrooper said:

Anyone know if there is even a chance that the military will let civilians use their ranges? I live less than 5 miles from some of the best military ranges in the Midwest.

Yes, to that.  Now, keep in mind that my information is 10 years old, at this point.  Larger installations - Fort Ord had a range open to civilians,  Fort Lewis as well.  Fort Huachuca, to a limited degree, allowed civilians on a few select ranges.  That was the deal though - not full access to any range; there were only one or two ranges that Civs COULD shoot on.  The best was Quantico, and access to the 1000-yard ranges.  The process to go through was crazy for a Civ.  There was no Mil limit on applying for the Rod & Gun Club membership.  There was a limit for Civs, and I think it was 2 Mil per 1 Civ.  It was a ratio thing, and almost like a lottery/waiting list from hell.

On all the mil installations that I've seen Civs allowed on, you had to have your weapons registered with the Provost Marshall's Office.  You couldn't just show up and shoot.  You can to check in when you were arriving, show proof of being registered with PMO, get a visitor's pass, before you were allowed access to the installation.

In a nutshell - check with the post PMO and find out what's required, brother.

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks for the information. I'll give it a shot next time I go to the front gate, I have to get a wood cutting pass anyways. I just wish this post had a decent PX. lol.

The large hills around the area make for some great shooting experiences. I got to shoot at one of the longer distance pop up ranges when I was in the academy.