• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New “Pistol” from Big Green

Let me be the first to say... THIS IS FUCKIN HAPPENING!!!

7487A78A-8130-4F8D-87A3-34C701365C01.jpeg

https://www.range365.com/remington-introduces-model-700-chassis-pistol

Remington Introduces the Model 700 Chassis Pistol

This new hunting bolt action pistol comes chambered in .308, .223, or 300BLK.

By Joseph Albanese Yesterday at 11:15am

The barrel for the .308 model is slightly longer.

The barrel for the .308 model is slightly longer.

Remington

Big Green goes short by introducing the Model 700CP, a bolt-action pistol built on their beloved Model 700 receiver. The new pistol will be available in .300 BLK, .308 Win, and .223 Rem.

Handgun hunters likely remember the XP-100, Remington’s hand-held bolt-action bullpup that achieved cult status amongst those chasing varmints with a pistol. The XP-100 was offered in a number of calibers, but the .221 Fireball was amongst the most popular. Most of these were single-shot affairs, with the exception on the XP-100R (R for Repeater) models, which combined an internal four round magazine similar to those found on bolt action rifles.The Remington XP-100 bullpup bolt action pistol.

The Remington XP-100 bullpup bolt action pistol.

Wiki Commons

The XP-100 was built with the action from the Model 40X, but Remington’s latest take on the bolt-action pistol has Model 700 DNA. The 40X was an important evolutionary step for Remington, leading to the Model 600 that Colonel Jeff Cooper spoke so highly of, but is archaic in comparison. A review of police department gun lockers and hunters safes would be a testament to the accuracy and reliability of the Model 700.

The Model 700 Chassis Pistol is available in three centerfire calibers: .300 BLK, .308 Win, and .223 Rem. Predictably, the .300 and .223 barrels are the same length, taping out to 10.5 inches. In order to squeeze more velocity out of the .308, Remington’s engineers stretched that barrel to 12.5 inches. All barrel feature light contours with threaded muzzles.

All of the 700 CP barrels come with threaded muzzles.

All of the 700 CP barrels come with threaded muzzles.

Gone are the single-shot and blind magazine designs, swapped out in favor of Accuracy International-pattern mags. This means you can stuff the pistol with as many rounds as your state’s regulations—and budget—will allow. The 700 CP will also work with Magpul PMags.

Unlike the XP-100, the 700 CP doesn’t come with sights. This is probably for the best, as most found on the XP-100 were unceremoniously hacked off in favor of a scope immediately after purchase. The top of the receiver features an 8-inch removable Picatinny rail, so you have plenty of choices for optics.

Accuracy International and Magpul PMags can be used in the 700 CP.

Accuracy International and Magpul PMags can be used in the 700 CP.

The XP-100 was designed for hunting, but the threaded barrel, free-floating forend with M-LOK attachment points on all eight sides gives us a clue to the 10CP’s intended use: a one-stamp platform for braced, suppressed pistol. The short barrel of the handgun just about makes a can necessary to tame the muzzle blast, begging for the addition of one.

It’s difficult to tell from the photos, but it appears the pistol grip is threaded to accept AR-style buffer tubes. If so, the addition of a brace would only take seconds.

The pistol comes suppressor ready.

The pistol comes suppressor ready.

Firing the pistol off-hand become much easier, and the whole package is small and unobtrusive enough to become a favorite for home defense or defending the back 40 from coyotes.

MSRP: $1,022

1 hour ago, DNP said:

So Rob....as a pistol, will it need to be on the roster?  Guess us "regular" guys can't have one. You'll be fine though. 

Single shot exemption... Just need to get a single round magazine/sled

16 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

What caliber would you get it in Rob?

I think the .308 would be my favorite. If I could have a suppressor, it'd be a 300Blk HANDS DOWN! I'd probably cut the barrel an extra 2" too

Narrator: "The ultimate Wal-Mart open carry pistol has arrived..."   I predict Remington will sell millions of these here in Indiana alone.  Kidding aside I really do like these pistols, especially the .308 but they are probably not something I would actually buy. They are a very cool spin on the good old Model 700 though.

BTW are short(er) barreled unsuppressed .308s much louder than their 16" or 18" (or longer) barreled rifle counterparts?  I'm seriously thinking about getting an Armalite AR10TAC14 w/open sights only for close range/heavy cover whitetail hunting but have some reservations about this that are related to hearing damage.  I have heard from SBR owners and found multiple other pretty solid sources that rifle cartridges fired from short(er)-barreled rifles are usually much louder than their longer barreled counterparts.  I have not found any hard data w/decibel measurements, etc. on this though and it's all been anecdotal (e.g. "shooting a .308 SBR is very unpleasant, felt like I got punched by an MMA fighter", etc.).   Though I do not typically crank out alot of rounds while deer hunting w/out hearing protection my wife already complains enough about me having the TV too loud as it is. 

Edited by EugeneStoner

16 minutes ago, EugeneStoner said:

BTW are short(er) barreled unsuppressed .308s much louder than their 16" or 18" (or longer) barreled rifle counterparts?

Most certainly they are louder, you can feel it in your chest. Easy solution, AAC SDN-6 suppressor :thumbup:

I've got less $ in my 12.5 inch gas gun with the Cerakote but paid about $500 more for my P716 with 12.5 inch barrel. Build a shorty, CDNN has Sig barrels for $49.99 on sale.

35 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Most certainly they are louder, you can feel it in your chest. Easy solution, AAC SDN-6 suppressor :thumbup:

I've got less $ in my 12.5 inch gas gun with the Cerakote but paid about $500 more for my P716 with 12.5 inch barrel. Build a shorty, CDNN has Sig barrels for $49.99 on sale.

Thanks for the reply jtallen83, I can now be sure that the concerns about SBRs typically being louder are legitimate. 

I'm going to give some serious thought to a .308 SBR build.  I enjoy reading the .308 build threads here and get tempted to give it a try partly because I think pretty much anything that could go wrong has its solution/forewarning posted here somewhere. It would definitely be a good learning experience and as I only have Armalite rifles a DPMS pattern .308 SBR battle rifle might be cool.

4 hours ago, EugeneStoner said:

I have heard from SBR owners and found multiple other pretty solid sources that rifle cartridges fired from short(er)-barreled rifles are usually much louder than their longer barreled counterparts.

16" barreled .308 bolt gun, Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle (Ruger GSR). Rattled my teeth when I shot it, with that shitty compensator that Ruger ships it with.  Had to put on a Spike's DynaComp to tame it down - so it didn't rattle my teeth anymore, and that worked.

11.5" 5.56 gun, A2 on the front of it. Fine.  7.5" 5.56 gun with an A2 on it - rattles your teeth.  Had to put a Noveske KX-3 on that damn thing, and it fixed it.

13.5" .308AR, with an Armalite Competition Brake on it - perfectly fine, doesn't rattle teeth.  It's a great setup.

It comes down to what you do at the end of the muzzle, on shorter barrels, that makes the difference.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

It comes down to what you do at the end of the muzzle, on shorter barrels, that makes the difference.

I agree with Tom on this one. The first .223 pistol I built was a 7.5" barrel with an Ares Effin A compensator on it and was INSANELY loud!!! A Novesky Pig sent all the noise out the front and made it livable.

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

16" barreled .308 bolt gun, Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle (Ruger GSR). Rattled my teeth when I shot it, with that shitty compensator that Ruger ships it with.  Had to put on a Spike's DynaComp to tame it down - so it didn't rattle my teeth anymore, and that worked.

11.5" 5.56 gun, A2 on the front of it. Fine.  7.5" 5.56 gun with an A2 on it - rattles your teeth.  Had to put a Noveske KX-3 on that damn thing, and it fixed it.

13.5" .308AR, with an Armalite Competition Brake on it - perfectly fine, doesn't rattle teeth.  It's a great setup.

7 hours ago, suzukiray said:

I agree with Tom on this one. The first .223 pistol I built was a 7.5" barrel with an Ares Effin A compensator on it and was INSANELY loud!!! A Novesky Pig sent all the noise out the front and made it livable.

Thanks for the replies 98Z5V and suzukiray.  I did not mention it initially but the Armalite AR10TAC14 version I am most seriously considering does not require an NFA stamp as it has a 13.5" barrel extended to 16" via a pinned and welded brake.  I'm not adverse to doing what's needed NFA-wise to purchase a "true" SBR and a suppressor (get the stamps, etc.) but  based upon what I've read in some other threads here and heard from other SBR owners something like this rifle that does not require NFA compliance might make more sense for me.  One reason for this is that I would regularly be travelling out of state to hunt with it and do not want to jump through the hoops required to transport it as is required with a "true" SBR. I am aware that a .308 pistol w/a brace could also get around all these hassles too and could be a smart choice but I would prefer having a regular rifle with a short(er) barrel.

This particular model does not have Armalite's competition brake 98Z5V but does have one of their "Flash Suppressing Compensators" as pictured at the URL below. Do you (and everyone else that reads this...please share your opinion) think it will be about as good as the Armalite Competition Brake?  

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10tac14-tactical-rifle/

5 hours ago, EugeneStoner said:

This particular model does not have Armalite's competition brake 98Z5V but does have one of their "Flash Suppressing Compensators" as pictured at the URL below. Do you (and everyone else that reads this...please share your opinion) think it will be about as good as the Armalite Competition Brake?  

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10tac14-tactical-rifle/

That's the new Flash Suppressing Compensator. I can't find it anywhere being sold separate from a rifle. The 18" model is getting great reviews, I'd like to see a blast can available for that beast. The .308 can get pretty loud with a brake/comp on the end.

5 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Check out the new SB3 brace. 

This here ?

?????????

On 11/14/2018 at 7:18 AM, Robocop1051 said:

Handgun hunters likely remember the XP-100, Remington’s hand-held bolt-action bullpup that achieved cult status amongst those chasing varmints with a pistol. The XP-100 was offered in a number of calibers, but the .221 Fireball was amongst the most popular. Most of these were single-shot affairs, with the exception on the XP-100R (R for Repeater) models, which combined an internal four round magazine similar to those found on bolt action rifles.The Remington XP-100 bullpup bolt action pistol.

This is what I thought of as soon as I saw it 

6 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Check out the new SB3 brace. 

1065740492_IMG_0698(Edited)_LI.thumb.jpg.4af483bfc13fe9d2be0ff943a96bb4c6.jpg

Very cool rifle, I mean pistol JT.  Thanks for the tip on that brace too.  The point about how the actual difference(s) between a pistol and a rifle can be minimal to nil is well taken.  My preference for a "regular rifle" is primarily because it seems like it may make things simpler when it comes to travelling with the weapon and staying in compliance with various locales' laws than it would with a pistol. 

5 minutes ago, EugeneStoner said:

My preference for a "regular rifle" is primarily because it seems like it may make things simpler when it comes to travelling with the weapon and staying in compliance with various locales' laws than it would with a pistol. 

I don't go the SBR route just because of these issues. I travel all the time, there are very few states I cannot bring my AR pistol to. SBR's need to be cleared with ATF before crossing state lines.

56 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:
3 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

I don't go the SBR route just because of these issues. I travel all the time, there are very few states I cannot bring my AR pistol to. SBR's need to be cleared with ATF before crossing state lines.

Thanks for the help on this JT, I appreciate it. :thumbup:

This here ?

?????????

Thanks for the replies gents, I appreciate it.  

12 hours ago, EugeneStoner said:

I did not mention it initially but the Armalite AR10TAC14 version I am most seriously considering does not require an NFA stamp as it has a 13.5" barrel extended to 16" via a pinned and welded brake.

That's exactly what I did.  Stuffed a complete Armalite operating system in a set of Aero Precision (DPMS-based) receivers. 

P1060432.JPG