• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What is your preference for whiskey?

JF89

15 hours ago, BrianK said:

Never had real moonshine and I'd like that to change. I'd try it in a heartbeat. 

Mostly Scotch and Irish for me and I severely limit the consumption. I was told that limitation would be a really good idea.

First time was in the Corps, buddy of mine made a few runs on his back porch - he almost didn't know what he was doing, but his stuff came out good, right around 100 proof and tasty. He gave me a quart I sipped on for quite some time, and when I left the Corps, I took a quart with me. I made that quart last as long as possible. That was '92. I tried for years to find that taste again - finally, a brother I served with and I got together about twenty years or so later, I was telling him about my dilemma, he also knew the guy that I originally got my first taste from, and the following year, when we got together again, he handed me a half gallon and told me to put it in the car and  leave it there till I got home. THAT WAS SOME GOOD SMOOTH $HITE!!!!

That was made with corn as the starch medium. Since then I have have had, and stock in my pantry, peach and apple as well as the corn. Does it have a bite? It does, what it does not have is a burn - it's got a warmth that will put a smile on your face! It runs at 96 proof - you can get higher - I've had 130, but the taste is not there and I like the skin of my tongue and throat right where it is.

I could go on and on about the advantages of good unregulated whiskey - I'll leave you with this - you can try all the store bought 'shines you want, they can say what they want about their product, if it's in a retail store, it will likely taste like gin or $hit. I managed to stumble onto this outlet because of my brother - he is deep south born 'n bred. Nobody local will talk to me about it, seems I don't sound like I'm from around here, go figure. 

@BrianK if you're ever out of the north and come this way, look me up, I'll treat you to a fine libation!

Edited by Traveler

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/27/2023 at 8:04 PM, SmoothAction said:

This stuff had a short production run and may never be available to any of you.... for the limited quantity I do have, it is my preferred whiskey. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 7.02.17 PM.png

You CRACK ME UP, BROTHER!!!!   :laffs::lmao::thumbup:

On 3/28/2023 at 7:08 PM, AngelDeVille said:

I’m not much for the fancy stuff but I like crown royal. 

and I have a bottle of glenfidditch around here somewhere. 

other than that a filthy fucking martini or a gin and tonic will do. Tanqueray, bombay, or beefeater. 

You need to try New Amsterdam Stratusphere gin.  Makes those 3 look sick, no "tree needle" flavoring.  I preferred their original gin style, but the Stratusphere is the next iteration I guess.