• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What is your preference for whiskey?

JF89

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+2 on Blantons but it has caught on and difficult to get here.

Bookers is at the top of my list, but pricey. 

Rabbit Hole is excellent, but if you are looking at lower price points hard to beat Four Roses Small Batch.

If you are mixing with Coke or making an Old Fashion Buffalo Trace works well there, and not too pricey.  I'll grab Evan Williams Single Barrel for Old Fashion's as well, usually around $30 a bottle.

If you are into Old Fashion's these are a must:

https://www.amazon.com/LUXARDO-Original-Maraschino-Cherries-105-8/dp/B002YY4OU2/ref=asc_df_B002YY4OU2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312252971714&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4003726612187003229&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1023754&hvtargid=pla-569110021199&th=1

Put the syrup over vanilla bean ice cream for desert.

We sold our bar a year ago but had a full selection of Bourbon and it is very popular here in these parts.  We would have Bourbon "tastings" couple of times a year and they always brought in quite a crowd, plus we were always bringing in new offerings so got to sample just about everything out there........Cliff

Edited by Cliff R

Do any of you guys belong or subscribe to Flaviar? I'm not sure if they are accepting new subscriptions any more. I got in a few years ago, they send me 5 vials (~1.5-2oz) every month of premium spirits for tasting. They are mainly a Whiskey club, but deal in all premium spirits. I've definitely found some of my current favorites from them, including Diplomatico Gran Reserva. If any of you like Rum, I'd suggest checking that one out too.

Grab your credit card, and prepare to go down the rabbit hole..

https://flaviar.com

If any of you even get the opportunity do a Bourbon tour in Kentucky.  We did one two years ago, rented a van in Cincinnati and headed South.  My daughter was pregnant at the time so volunteered to be the DD. 

First stop Four Roses, then made two more stops and ended up at Buffalo Trace.  Don't remember all the details as we consumed a considerable amount of Bourbon on that trip, but the tours were great with a nice reward waiting for you at the end of each one. 

According to the Master distiller's we talked to the Oak barrels are stored in large buildings and some have many levels.  They are not only moved periodically they are often taken to different levels during the waiting process to control temperatures.  Very interesting stuff, especially considering you have to wait many years to see the fruit of your efforts.........Cliff

2 minutes ago, Cliff R said:

If any of you even get the opportunity do a Bourbon tour in Kentucky.  We did one two years ago, rented a van in Cincinnati and headed South.  My daughter was pregnant at the time so volunteered to be the DD. 

First stop Four Roses, then made two more stops and ended up at Buffalo Trace.  Don't remember all the details as we consumed a considerable amount of Bourbon on that trip, but the tours were great with a nice reward waiting for you at the end of each one. 

According to the Master distiller's we talked to the Oak barrels are stored in large buildings and some have many levels.  They are not only moved periodically they are often taken to different levels during the waiting process to control temperatures.  Very interesting stuff, especially considering you have to wait many years to see the fruit of your efforts.........Cliff

I did jack Daniels in 03’ i was amazed at how small it was. It reminded me of a dairy farm here in Wisconsin 

On 1/27/2019 at 7:21 AM, shepp said:

I did jack Daniels in 03’ i was amazed at how small it was. It reminded me of a dairy farm here in Wisconsin 

Are you sure you didnt just drink too much Jack and end up at the dairy farm. I have a story on this but theres virgin ears present (98z).

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I don't know about scotch, but there's a limited edition Crown Royal, Salted Caramel Whiskey - and IT. IS. BADASS.   !!!.  :thumbup:

Look for the box - it's in the box...  

Crown-Royal-Salted-Caramel__54118.150637

You’re gonna give poor @mrmackc an aneurism, first flavored beer now flavored whiskey 😳😳😬😬

Truth is I am not much of a big alcohol consumer.  I got enough of it second hand by working for a drunk bastard, and had too many sorry drunkard relatives. One good drunk in college when I lost control and was passed out for a few hours was all it took for me to realize I didn't need to get drunk. Just a couple of cold beers or a couple of fingers of hard stuff usually does it for me.

1 hour ago, mrmackc said:

Truth is I am not much of a big alcohol consumer.  I got enough of it second hand by working for a drunk bastard, and had too many sorry drunkard relatives. One good drunk in college when I lost control and was passed out for a few hours was all it took for me to realize I didn't need to get drunk. Just a couple of cold beers or a couple of fingers of hard stuff usually does it for me.

I’m the same it took me till 30 or so tho 😏😏