• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Diamondback DB10 won’t hand cycle

webs12b

I recently purchased a Diamondback DB10ELB 308. Took it out yesterday to sight in. Put 25 rounds through it and everything cycled perfectly but never attempted to eject round by hand. Went home and put round in and then attempted to hand cycle it to eject the full round and it was almost impossible. Finally I held the 308 between my knees and pulled up on the charging handle with both hands and i got it to break free. Was using Hornady Superformance SST 308 150 grains. Any help? It did this multiple times. Does it just need break in time? Is it a headspace/seating issue? Any ideas. Thanks. 

I have five DB10's and never had a problem, did you buy it new?. it may just need a good chamber cleaning.   I have seen this happen where coated ammo was shot and the coating came off in the chamber and it was hard to eject. even had to mortar one round. Try a chamber brush and see if that helps.

13 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

Could you pull the CH back without a round in easily?

Yes, without a round it cycles smooth. And yes Brand new firearm. 

Also ran chamber brush in it. Pulled bolt, thorough cleaning and lube. Still does it. 

Edited by webs12b

2 hours ago, webs12b said:

And yes Brand new firearm.

1 hour ago, edgecrusher said:

Lots of lube and way more than one box of ammo

^^^  THIS, right here.  Go shoot that gun, get a couple hundred rounds through it. LUBE the hell out of it.  Please let us know how that goes.

Did you try different ammo and get the same result?

Did you inspect the spent cases to see if there were any unusual marks on them not cased by contact with the feed ramps?

Next step would be to inspect the chamber and an unfired round cycled thru it and look for any witness marks to see where it may be hanging up.......Cliff

Cliff, the next step will be to try different ammo. And we did notice on the spent cases what appeared to be a small gouge on the rims of most of the spent rounds. I did inspect the chamber and haven’t noticed anything wrong inside. And also looked for any markings on the rounds when I forcefully hand cycled them and didn’t notice any markings that would indicate any hanging up. 

Edited by webs12b

1 hour ago, webs12b said:

Cliff, the next step will be to try different ammo. And we did notice on the spent cases what appeared to be a small gouge on the rims of most of the spent rounds. I did inspect the chamber and haven’t noticed anything wrong inside. And also looked for any markings on the rounds when I forcefully hand cycled them and didn’t notice any markings that would indicate any hanging up. 

That’s probably from the extractor. Lube her well and shoot more rounds. Let’s see s know if it’s the same after 100 plus but more appropriately 200 plus. Lots of metal that needs proper break in on these. Tight isn’t necessarily bad, just new.

I have never had this happen on any diamondback. even from new status I could always eject a round by hand easy. Next I would try a different round. I hunted with one last year that only had about 30 rounds through it and I unloaded it every time I came back to camp. never a problem. Now AR10's are a little harder to pull back than it's little brother.

I don't have issues with most of my AR platforms except for the AR-47.  The inconsistency of 7.62 x 39 ammo, steel cases, etc will cause issues once in a while.  It was so bad once that we literally had to take a metal rod and drive the case and bolt back with a decent size hammer.

Had troubles once with my first 308-AR build because I didn't have the reloading dies set correctly.  Had been away from this sort of thing for a few years while I adjusted to civilian life and got a couple of businesses up and running (about 10 years).

I put together some hand loads using Lake City Match brass and some older Sierra 150 grain soft point bullets, backed them with some IMR 4320 I had left over from the 1980's.  Like a dummy I didn't test cycle any of the ammo, just went to our range and on the third round the bolt didn't seat home and I couldn't get it pulled back.  Finally got it cleared, then about half a dozen rounds later it did it again.

The ammo looked fine at a glance, but I had inadvertently set the bullets to crimp slightly before they were seated to depth.  This compressed the cases and put a very small bulge on them making them tight in the chambers.  A beginners mistake and easily corrected with the next batch of ammo.

Changing ammo will be the first move to correcting the issues.  I've never had any issues with Winchester or Federal hunting ammo and it's available just about everyplace that sells sporting goods........Cliff

14 minutes ago, webs12b said:

I’m thinking I’ll try a new brand of ammo. Try hand cycling it. And if it does same thing I’ll run about 4-5 boxes through it and see if that changes anything. Will post results in a couple days. 

Mine shoot the 150 grain Winchester deer season xp's without any problem.

You might also try pulling a bullet on your current ammo, dumping out the powder and running the case thru a full length resizing die.  Put the power back in (new primer if you drove the old one out), seat the bullet to the same depth, and see if it feeds/cycles any better.

I am assuming here that you have reloading equipment.........Cliff

9 hours ago, Cliff R said:

The ammo looked fine at a glance, but I had inadvertently set the bullets to crimp slightly before they were seated to depth.  This compressed the cases and put a very small bulge on them making them tight in the chambers. 

Cliff, I switched over to Lee Factory Crimp Dies on a bunch of my cartridges, to eliminate this.  Those things are fantastic, and only about $15 each, straight from Lee.  Right now I have .308 Win, 6.5 Grendel and .260 Remington.  I've got 3 more in the mail right now (.300 Win Mag, 300 BLK and 5.56).  I'll get all of them, eventually.  They made a tremendous difference, and completely eliminated bulging at the base of the shoulder.  I should have bought them 5 years ago, when MikeDaddy was recommending them...  :thumbup:

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Cliff, I switched over to Lee Factory Crimp Dies on a bunch of my cartridges, to eliminate this.  Those things are fantastic, and only about $15 each, straight from Lee.  Right now I have .308 Win, 6.5 Grendel and .260 Remington.  I've got 3 more in the mail right now (.300 Win Mag, 300 BLK and 5.56).  I'll get all of them, eventually.  They made a tremendous difference, and completely eliminated bulging at the base of the shoulder.  I should have bought them 5 years ago, when MikeDaddy was recommending them...  :thumbup:

Were those the type that I got you for the 338? If not, I wonder if that might have been the problem last fall with the bolt seizing up in the mrad.

17 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Cliff, I switched over to Lee Factory Crimp Dies on a bunch of my cartridges, to eliminate this.

Thanks for the tip.  My 308 dies are RCBS and you absolutely must make sure that the crimping operation doesn't happen just an instant before the bullet seating deal or they can/will bulge the case some, with disastrous results.

I purchased most of my reloading equipment in the late 70's and early 1980's, plus inherited some from my dad.  It's a combination of Lyman, RCBS and Lee, plus a few items from Herter's dad back WAY back when.

I have a pretty good learning curve with reloading, and learned early on to stick with slower burning powders and start a ways off of maximum loads listed for any particular caliber.

Hoping the solution here is simply changing ammunition.........Cliff

7 hours ago, Rsquared said:

Were those the type that I got you for the 338? If not, I wonder if that might have been the problem last fall with the bolt seizing up in the mrad.

Yep, we do have one for the .338LM. :thumbup:  That other ammo is what did it - all that Federal and (whatever else) caused the big issues.

I had the same problem with my Matrix build. I had an Anderson barrel in it and damn near had to mortar the thing to eject a live round and it was still a problem after several 100 rounds. Barrel wouldn't shoot for schit either, 98 saw the crap groups it shot at the desert shoot a couple of years ago. Taking his advice, I bought a Faxon barrel and swapped it out. accuracy problem solved and live rounds ejected just fine. I took the Anderson barrel to a gunsmith friend of mine (didn't have anything to loose with it at that point) and he ran his chamber reamer through it. Said it was definitely undersized, mostly in the neck area. That's probably why the primers in the fired cases from that barrel where flattened more than from my other 308 AR (sign of high pressure). He said a loaded round would chamber much easier than before and the headspace was still good. I haven't put the barrel in anything yet to see if it groups any better but I don't have much hope on that front, I don't think a tight chamber would have much effect on groups.