• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to the forum and 308 platform

Slothclp

Just wanted say hi. Just purchased my first 308 AR platform. Been building and messing with AR-15s for going on 15 years finally got my foot in the door. Started basic with a psa pa10 gen 2 upper and lower. Upper is just standard fare with a2 style front sight. Haven’t been able to get out yet but so far I’m pleased (work and weather haven’t cooperated). 

Anything I should look for in the first firing other than over gassing. Rifle has been stripped,cleaned and lubricated. Running just iron sights and lancer magazines with on pmag

Here is the mandatory pic thanks for having me look forward to being around more knowledgeable folks

01B40B32-A006-4985-A451-5990DBE89A6C.jpeg

Welcome aboard.  The common story is that the PSA guns are over-gassed, but that's not the reality of it.  Their 18" midlength-gas barrels ship with an undersized gasport of 0.070".  So, with an undersized gasport  - it would be hard to say it's over-gassed.   The reality of the hardware specs tell you that it can't be overgassed.  Not on you - I'm sure others tell you that they're over-gassed.

Reality is, the recoil system is weak.  There's tons of threads on this here, in the PSA section.  Feel free to post up any other issues you have with it, and they'll get solved.  Your gas port diameter in an 18" .308 Win midlength gas system setup should be 0.080"~0.085".  I'd love to see the specs on your recoil system.  It's a pretty safe bet, not even hearing about the specs on it, that you should probably just throw it in the trash, or save the individual pieces for spare parts.

Welcome, take her out and shoot it. If no excess recoil and brass is not messed up like tore up rims, bulging cases or dented you should be good to go. i'm sure someone way more knowledgable than me will be here shortly. just wanted to welcome you and hope you enjoy the new rifle.

Thank you. As for the over gassing I’m not basing that on psa more of overall what research has lead me to. I will definitely be testing my sample of one I do not get overly worried on what I read more bad is published that good on any product. I will say past experiences on recoil/buffer systems has showed in my experience that is the case but easily remedied. It’s been a long time since I fired a 308 ar and that was a extremely over gassed dpms Oracle back during the rush for semi auto rifles

Cool.  Here's your cure for the entire recoil system:

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/

That small gas port, you'll have to drill up, probably on your own.  The info is up there for you.

You'll also probably find that your gas tube is too short - it should end directly in the center ofthe cam pin cutout in the upper receiver - and the PSA, you will see, will end towards the front of the cam pin cutout.

The details are here, in the PSA section.  Read all about it.  Good luck with your gun, man.   :thumbup:

15 minutes ago, Slothclp said:

I do not get overly worried on what I read more bad is published that good on any product.

That won't ever be true for any LaRue rifle, or any KAC rifle, or any LMT rifle, or any Noveske rifle - or any other higher quality rifle, that is built correctly.  Those are just examples.  Had to address that one comment from you separately, I hope you understand.

20 hours ago, SimonSays said:

RRA 👏👏👏

welcome aboard! One of the Good ol’ Boys here has some super secret project going on involving PSA. Be sure to stick around and find out what it is. 

That revelation is imminent my friend! Picked up my lower from one of my gun pushers this morning. It's a beautiful example of what PSA is doing to its customers. There's going to be a write up spanning 4 different forums and probably a video series on Full30 and possibly YouTube.

3 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

That revelation is imminent my friend! Picked up my lower from one of my gun pushers this morning. It's a beautiful example of what PSA is doing to its customers. There's going to be a write up spanning 4 different forums and probably a video series on Full30 and possibly YouTube.

can't tell if sarcastic