• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lake City Ammunition

I finally made time to read the article. In it, the author stated:

“In the end, production-wise, I should mention that there are currently six specific case lines in the world, and five of them are made at the LCAAP. The other is located in Israel.”

I don’t know what case line means? NATO specific cartridges? I’m lost. 

Matt.Cross, that was my initial thought, but that doesn’t make sense. Doesn’t Germany, Australia, Sweden, Russia, China well any country advanced out of mud huts and hunter/gather status make their own munitions from raw materials? I guess it could be cheaper to import ship loads of brass than making your own from copper and zinc, but only 6 production lines in the world? 

13 minutes ago, SimonSays said:

Matt.Cross, that was my initial thought, but that doesn’t make sense. Doesn’t Germany, Australia, Sweden, Russia, China well any country advanced out of mud huts and hunter/gather status make their own munitions from raw materials? I guess it could be cheaper to import ship loads of brass than making your own from copper and zinc, but only 6 production lines in the world? 

I haven't read the article, but I thought it concerned the scope of production for the US military.

6 hours ago, SimonSays said:

I finally made time to read the article. In it, the author stated:

“In the end, production-wise, I should mention that there are currently six specific case lines in the world, and five of them are made at the LCAAP. The other is located in Israel.”

I don’t know what case line means? NATO specific cartridges? I’m lost. 

"Different calibers" is what that means.  Lake City is small-arms only now.  Of the 5 case lines that they make, I know of 4.  9mm, 5.56 NATO, 7.62 NATO, and 50 BMG.  Not sure what the 5th is, but it might be 30-06, since GWOT started, and it's back in use in some platforms.  Might be .45ACP, since it's back again, because of GWOT. They're gearing up for the new 6.8mm sniper round, though:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2019/4/4/lake-city-factory-readies-for-new-6-8-mm-round

Here's some 1996-based history on Lake City:

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a315683.pdf

After some research, I was able to confirm they make:

5.56, 7.62, .50 cal and 20 mm. 

98Z, I’ll take your word that they also make 9 mm. 

It looks like they are adding 6.8 as well. That should be up and running in 3 to 4 years. 

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2019/4/4/lake-city-factory-readies-for-new-6-8-mm-round

Great article!:thumbup:

Back in my early days I lived close to the Kansas Army Ammunition Plant (KAAP) and had friends that worked there. They made ammo a little bit bigger than what any of us here shoot though!😲

Edited by 392heminut