• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Zealand government gun buyback price list

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@308kiwi - I'm looking at this right now, at 11:15pm on 19 June, but this document is dated 20 June on it's cover - have you guys seen this yet?  Time-zone wise, you're about 12~14 hours ahead of me, so I'm wondering...

This got me, right away- on the first page after the cover"

Notify the Police by registering your firearm/s online immediately at police.govt.nz

Do they NOT have a record of what you own?...

Edited by 98Z5V

21 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

@308kiwi - I'm looking at this right now, at 11:15pm on 19 June, but this document is dated 20 June on it's cover - have you guys seen this yet?  Time-zone wise, you're about 12~14 hours ahead of me, so I'm wondering...

Not sure how it is in New Zealand but here in Canada only prohibited and restricted class firearms are registered, non-restricted were not registered then registered and we had a slight win a while back and no longer registered. It's estimated that currently 10.5 million unregistered firearms in Canada. Up here the Grande is non restricted along with Stag 10 rifle.

A lot of stuff will disappear before it gets turned in. 

18 hours ago, Ravenworks said:

There has been less than 600 firearms turned in to date,what's that tell you?

Yeah,the government is worried.

Quebec which is the most anti gun province of all recently created it's own registry for non restricted rifles, the deadline has passed and compliance has been about 25% with a large number of that being store inventory.

The current government saw a huge increase in AR sales in the last month on rumors of a ban, pretty much all stripped lowers and AR rifles sold out across Canada.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/can-ar-15-owners-avoid-gun-ban-pump-action-modifications-not-even-police-know

Can AR-15 owners avoid the gun ban with pump-action modifications? Not even police know

Gun owners are calling on police to clear up confusion over whether banned high powered assault rifles can be modified to comply with the new firearms law.

It comes as a New Zealand importer considers bringing in an AR-15 modification kit, known as the Animus, which can convert the gun from a semi-automatic weapon to pump-action. The AR-15 was the primary weapon system used during the Christchurch mosque attacks.

The converted pump-action AR-15 has a limited capacity and fires slowly, with every bullet pulled into the chamber manually by hand in a similar fashion to a shotgun. It was designed by an American company to comply with their own gun legislation.

There is room under the Government’s gun reform for modifications to make a prohibited firearm legal. However, police are yet to specify exactly how this should be carried out.

Police were unable to confirm whether the AR-15 modification kit was legal when contacted by 1 NEWS today. In a statement, they said they were ”currently looking into the feasibility of modifying these particular firearms”.

Christchurch gunsmith Andrew Bakker, who runs Phantom Gunsmiths, said it was technically possible to convert an AR-15 for a range of different uses, including a smaller .22 calibre and pump or bolt action.

“AR-15's are built so people can convert them to long-range rifles or specialty rifles — depending on what they want them for ⁠— straight out of the box. They have an upper and lower and you can swap parts in and out,” he said.

A representative for the Council of Licenced Firearm Owners, Nicole McKee, said owners were looking to modify where they could because the “true value” of their guns weren’t being met in the buy-back.

“People will be looking at other avenues of being able to retain their firearms in a legal configuration so they can continue to keep them, use them and not be out of pocket for handing them in,” she said.

“We are looking for a fair and reasonable approach to all of this and it's really important that the Government and police have a fair and reasonable approach.”

However, Nik Green of the reform advocacy group Gun Control NZ said the conversions aren’t permanent.  

“Guns are modular tools, you can take them apart, you can swap pieces in and out and what that means in practise is that a semi-automatic weapon that's been converted into a pump-action or a bolt action can easily be converted back again,” he said.

“We would discourage people from doing this. There are opportunities to bring in prohibited weapons, get compensation and buy totally compliant weapons through the buy-back scheme.”

The AR-15 is just one part of the discussion. Many want to convert their banned hunting and sporting rifles, but don't know how.

Gunsmith Andrew Bakker said he's received at least 50 inquiries.

“It's going to be your .22 bolt action rifles that have more than 10 shots, or antique lever action rifles that have more than 10 shots, they're the ones that I've been messaged about the most,” he said.

“Lots of these rifles are collectible, I know people who have got rifles who have come back from WW1 and WW2 that have got a historic significance, and they don't want to see them put through the shredder.”

The question now is whether, with all this confusion, gun owners will stay at home when the buy-back begins in Christchurch on Saturday.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2019/07/gun-conversion-kits-not-in-the-spirit-of-the-law-gun-control-advocate.html

Gun conversion kits not in the 'spirit of the law' - gun control advocate

•  

There are concerns modifications to guns to comply with new firearms laws could be easily reversed.

Police are looking into whether kits designed to modify AR-15s from semi-automatic to pump-action would allow owners to keep the rifles, which are used in about half of all mass shootings in the US. 

Gun Control NZ co-founder Nik Green says allowing the modification kit would render the new laws pointless.

"Any conversion isn't permanent, so you could quite easily switch it back to being a semi-automatic... It doesn't take these dangerous guns off the streets."

A police spokesperson said they are still looking into the feasibility of modifying AR15 semi-automatics.

"The Police Commissioner will publish the manner and standard required for the safe and permanent modification of these and any other firearms. 

A process for how modifications can be carried out - and a list of approved gunsmiths to do the modifications - will be published on the police website soon."

Green says people need to take the moral high-ground, with conversion kits not in the "spirit of the law".

"Our preference is people hand in their guns, take the compensation, and buy a new gun - a gun that is fully compliant, a gun that won't be in the grey area of the law and cause problems in the future."

Council of Licenced Firearm Owners spokesperson Nicole McKee says the confusion is not fair.

"Firearm owners themselves are out there trying their best to comply with this new legislation, and they do expect to be able to have confidence in the legislators to direct them."

She dismissed claims that modifications to semi-automatic weapons can be reversed.

"Once those firearm parts are handed in... then they can't be converted back, can they?" 

McKee says owners are looking to modify because the true value of their weapons isn't being met.

"If they think there is avenue they could take that is not handing in their firearms, but maybe looking at a compensation claim at modifying their firearm, then most definitely hold onto their firearms, for now."

The first buyback event is this weekend.

21 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/can-ar-15-owners-avoid-gun-ban-pump-action-modifications-not-even-police-know

However, Nik Green of the reform advocacy group Gun Control NZ said the conversions aren’t permanent.  

“Guns are modular tools, you can take them apart, you can swap pieces in and out and what that means in practise is that a semi-automatic weapon that's been converted into a pump-action or a bolt action can easily be converted back again,” he said.

“We would discourage people from doing this. There are opportunities to bring in prohibited weapons, get compensation and buy totally compliant weapons through the buy-back scheme.”

"Scheme" is exactly what it is -  That govt is just trying to find a way to get the guns out of legal owner's hands.  It's a "scheme" alright...  with a political agenda, and they don't give a shiit about public safety in the least...  Complete "scheme" in the truest definition of the word.

17 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2019/07/gun-conversion-kits-not-in-the-spirit-of-the-law-gun-control-advocate.html

Police are looking into whether kits designed to modify AR-15s from semi-automatic to pump-action would allow owners to keep the rifles, which are used in about half of all mass shootings in the US. 

That's a pretty straight amount of "about" bulshiit, right there...

13 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Right now 308Kiwi is on the front line dealing with this poop. Here in Canada we watch,hope and offer prayers that somehow not only does the stupidity doesn't spread but reverses itself. 

I wish we could hear from him, but he's probably up to his neck in work right now,directly about this...

@308kiwi- give a shoutout, brother, when you have time.

21 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's a pretty straight amount of "about" bulshiit, right there...

Typical anti gun strategy, up here they tried to show how bad guns where by trying to list pellet,BB and paintball gun injuries. Another tactic was to list all firearms deaths as one lump sum failing to show that suicide are almost 80% of that number.

The actual homicide by firearm in Canada works out to an average(2000-2016) of 164.6/yr for the whole country. If one were to eliminate a few key cities that number takes a huge dive.

While no one wants to see a death, your chance of been killed by a gun are pretty low compared to many other things.

The antis argue guns are not a part of Canadian culture yet there is 34.7guns/100 persons and we rank 7th in the world for ownership.

Edited by Cunuckgaucho

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 3:51 PM, 98Z5V said:

I wish we could hear from him, but he's probably up to his neck in work right now,directly about this...

@308kiwi- give a shoutout, brother, when you have time.

Hey guys, sorry, just saw this thread. 

It's going from bad to worse, they just announced 2 days ago that we are now getting full registration, they have banned all tracer, steel core, AP, and any projectile that is designed for "enhanced penetration", (whatever the fark that is supposed to mean).

The price list they have released is just offensive. 

The 'buy back' events have started but have been, regardless of what the media and police are saying, a flop, very low attendances, mainly old junkers and 22 rimfire lever actions being handed in.

We, wife and I, have 10 rifles that are affected by the law change but only one of them even appears on the list, the wifes very worn out Norinco 56S, (chinese AK47), so what to do, the rest of our stuff is not on the list, so is it considered legal??

The only upside to all this is that the media and the political opposition are starting to see through the lies and the propaganda and are finally starting to see the light.

Meanwhile court cases are being prepared, 2 new pro gun political parties have been formed, we are in election year next year so that will be interesting, one political party has already sworn to repeal this entire mess and reinstate what we had. 

On 6/20/2019 at 6:19 PM, 98Z5V said:

98, yes and no, semi autos with free standing pistol grip, IE not a thumbhole type stock, and magazines +7 round, IE std 20 and 30 round magazines are registered to the owner, semi autos with a thumbhole stock and 7 round mags are 'A' catergory firearms and are not registered anywhere to anyone, This is the type of firearm, an AR15 with thumbhole stock that the center of uranus used in the event that triggered all this, he just bought some 30 round mags, (no restriction on magazine sales here). 

So yeah they don't know where 99% of all the firearms in NZ are, only the ones that are registered to the owners, like me. 

So yeah, I can't 'hide' anything because they know what I have and they have banned all sales of registered firearms, which required a permit anyway so there is no hiding anything.

Hang in there, brother.  Stay with it. Hold out as long as you can and pray for those election changes...

I don't say that lightly.  We, here, are an election away from facing what you are now, and there are SO MANY here that don't even realize that.  Our left side has so lost it's fucking mind that it's not even comprehensible.  They are way gone, by far.  One election away from being "servants" again, here.  If that were to come to bear, it would be very unpleasant here, and probably another revolution.  Anything other than that would be purely unconstitutional, by written word.  It's uglier for you right now, in your situation that you're in, but it's "votes" away from being equally as ugly here, as sad as that is for this country, and this Constitution...

Edited by 98Z5V

15 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Hang in there, brother.  Stay with it. Hold out as long as you can and pray for those election changes...

I don't say that lightly.  We, here, are an election away from facing what you are now, and there are SO MANY here that don't even realize that.  Our left side has so lost it's fucking mind that it's not even comprehensible.  They are way gone, by far.  One election away from being "servants" again, here.  If that were to come to bear, it would be very unpleasant here, and probably another revolution.  Anything other than that would be purely unconstitutional, by written word.  It's uglier for you right now, in your situation that you're in, but it's "votes" away from being equally as ugly here, as sad as that is for this country, and this Constitution...

Hanging in there for sure, the longer we can drag this out the better our chances of some relief. 

It truly would be a kick in the nads should you guys go down any kind of similar path. 

33 minutes ago, 308kiwi said:

Hanging in there for sure, the longer we can drag this out the better our chances of some relief. 

It truly would be a kick in the nads should you guys go down any kind of similar path. 

I've been worried about you, man - not hearing from you for so long after this shiit went down for you.  Initially, you made some responses, then POOF!  You were gone.  That was scary, brother, not hearing a peep from you...    

I read the list and other stuff on the police page.  That is absolutely horrible,  beyond words.  People can't be trusted,  that's not what our founding fathers had in mind.  The Government is going to take care of us, BS!!!  We better win this next election and not fall asleep.  And,  I know not to start a sentence with and,  but I'm not in the mood.  And we better stop bickering among our selves,  we need a united front,  we'll get rid of the douches in our midst later.  Better vote,  this poop is coming. 

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Sadly ☹️

Good luck brother 👍

13 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

What campaigns are there in NZ?  Can we contribute to your gun Organizations?  

COLFO is our primary defense and are the group organizing all the court cases etc They have set up a specific web page for fighting this tyranny, I'm too proud to ever ask for help but there is a donate link on the page.

https://www.fairandreasonable.co.nz/

14 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I've been worried about you, man - not hearing from you for so long after this shiit went down for you.  Initially, you made some responses, then POOF!  You were gone.  That was scary, brother, not hearing a peep from you...    

It's been a hell year, all this happening, we are shifting house at the moment as well, my workshop is half pulled apart and I still have a mountain of jobs to get through, oh not to mention the govt is trying to steal all my stuff.

I appreciate your concern mate and the support from all you guys, it does make a difference I can tell ya for sure. 

This isn't over yet, not by a long shot, we have plenty of fight left and now the dust has settled and the emotions have cooled there are a lot of non firearm people starting to see whats been done to our country, not just firearms, but free speech, democracy, due process.