• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

ABQ/ Northern NM sidearm advice?

BK.RD.RNR

You could do a crude but functional p80 with a razor blade  piece of 80grit, and any sort of hand drill to hold the bits. You could skip the vise and the power drill and still have it work out. It’s a really simple system. Almost too easy really. 

Since it wasn't spelled out; there are a number of things at play here. Even with a pistol permit in the greater state of NY; one CAN NOT carry that pistol into NYC (thus can't fly out of NYC with it). This is a rather common problem for people coming in from other states too. They may call the TSA, learn how to travel with their gun on a plane, land in NYC (still all good). Then when they go to board the flight out of NYC to go back home; they get popped at check in, lose the gun (etc.).

Furthermore; NY State doesn't honor any other state's permits. I mentioned somewhere else recently; there are only about 4,000 concealed carry permits issued to NYC residents total. Only those 4,000 people could fly out of NYC with a pistol; and good luck getting a concealed carry permit in NYC in the first place (you have to be wealthy, famous, or know very important people).

Even with a NY State pistol permit, UT non-resident, and FL non-resident permits; CO doesn't appear to offer reciprocity. I'm sure there is something I'm missing about those other state's laws; but from a NY resident's perspective, this wasn't a simple matter to begin with. Simply having a NY pistol permit doesn't do much good at all in this situation; even if you are able to get one from the county you live in, which is absolutely not a forgone conclusion either. Pistol permit applicants can be denied for any reason at all; and then there is a waiting period before you can apply again. It also doesn't look good the second time around when you have already been denied. After all; things like "being of good moral character" are rather subjective.

Can you imagine if your post histories on just this forum were subject to scrutiny; under the lens of "good moral character" every time you needed to renew your pistol permit (now required every five years in NY state)? Better hope the investigator involved, and the assigned judge have a fantastic sensor of humor...

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

P80 sends you the proper-sized drill bits you need, and the jig.  You need a drill to run those bits.  You need a vise or c-clamps to hold the jig together.  You need a file, to file off 4 tabs that stick out. You need a knife or a razor blade to smooth everything out.  You can literally do a P80 lower in a hotel room, after a trip to Ace Hardware for a few small things.  No kidding.

Hmm. Didn't realize the bits were in the kit. I'll have to look through it again and check some you tube videos... Never dug into it since I had not intended to build it out unless SFTF..

I looked into the P80 option again myself; and if you pick your tools wisely, it appears to be cheap and easy. I was thinking about how it does seem strange (read extremely suspicious) to set up and do this kind of work somewhere; I would not wish to explain those actions to anyone... But I fully understand this particular set of circumstances. It's been on my mind too, as an option while being out of NY state for a few days. I don't care about losing a little money, it's all about the experience and confidence gained in the practice/operation of said process. 

Either pack a file or two as part of the motorcycle essentials tool kit; or stop at a hardware store. Not sure what the cheapest power drill costs; but it's almost overkill considering the material, and only needing to drill six small holes. I didn't see any specific need for a vice or drill press; though a c-clamp might help hold the jig together better than a rubber band. 

I vote for this approach! And I would love to hear about it after the fact.

On 8/25/2019 at 1:26 AM, Lane said:

I was thinking about how it does seem strange (read extremely suspicious) to set up and do this kind of work somewhere; I would not wish to explain those actions to anyone... But I fully understand this particular set of circumstances. 

Thank you for the words of understanding. I do realize that this probably seems like a highly unusual and somwhat suspicious conversation to the majority of onlookers here. Especially those who do not have to be concerned with NY's draconian laws in relation to this issue.

Honestly, if I was not traveling alone this time, it would not even be a concern. If for some reason the bike breaks down in the middle of nowhere and I have to walk out, that gives a big cat plenty of opportunity for ambush, and I am deffinitely not in shape to attempt outrunning a bear either..

It does seem as though the poly 80 build is the most above board way to go about this. 

The P80 kit is legal to buy and have shipped to your house. Beyond that; I can't say what kind of scrutiny one would face traveling with a kit unassembled. What are the odds of walking into a well stocked gun shop and buying the whole rest of the assembly (barrel, slide, lpk, mag, etc.) off the shelf? Might just want to order it from an FFL in the state you land in beforehand?

I often see most of the parts to build an AR-15 when I shop locally in NY; but those parts aren't cheap either. I'm not sure if it's just the location, or clientele (they may typically want high end parts); but that's why I often shop online for some things. In this case; I question the check in process in NYC with an unfinished 80% in the luggage. I can understand bringing some, or all of the tools to build; but the item parts seem foolish to travel with. 

Please do color me wrong; if anyone has experience with this in real life (or better ideas about the theory). 

I would not try to fly with the supplies, although to illustrate my disdain for TSA's cost/ effect ratio;

About 5 yrs ago I was traveling to Spain via NYC-London. I had arranged to borrow a Motorcycle, and was checking my riding gear, and had my helmet in my carry on. I was just over the weight limit on my check bag, and pulled the smallest most dense weight out of my check bag I could think of and tossed it in my carry on. A ~6"x5" motorcycle specific tool kit with sockets, bits, wrenches, but most importantly a leatherman style tool with a 3" blade... I had not even given a thought to how that would appear to security, had not even considered the blade until a day later. NYC let me on the plane, no problem. When I got to Heathrow I had to go through security again, and got pulled aside by what fortunately turned out to be an understanding security agent. Fortunately I had the helmet and gloves in the backpack to support my story. They were nice enough to let me check the carry on at no charge...

16 hours ago, Lane said:

The P80 kit is legal to buy and have shipped to your house. Beyond that; I can't say what kind of scrutiny one would face traveling with a kit unassembled.

It's not even a firearm, in kit form.  There's nothing that anyone can say about it.  In it's kit form, you cannot assemble it into a workable firearm by adding a complete slide to it - you can't even put a slide on it.  In it's kit form, it's only 80% of a firearm, but it's a pile of junk if you don't do something else with it.  I wouldn't travel with the tools to complete it, in a carryon, and you'll never get a complete slide in a carryon, no way, not TSA.  Won't happen.

There's nothing that you can do with a P80 kit, in checked luggage, and it's not a firearm.  It would be smart-as-fuk to declare it, and have it in a locked bag - just like you'd do with flying any other firearm.  Which happens daily, legally, all over this country.

On 8/27/2019 at 11:43 PM, 98Z5V said:

There's nothing that you can do with a P80 kit, in checked luggage, and it's not a firearm.  It would be smart-as-fuk to declare it, and have it in a locked bag - just like you'd do with flying any other firearm.  Which happens daily, legally, all over this country.

I am in firm agreement about the actual legality of this matter. Unfortunately I think this would be a really twisted quest to undertake in real life. I don't want to insert feelings into the situation; but you better believe it's going to raise red flags to have a complete pile of pistol parts in a NYC airport, as a NY resident without a pistol permit?

Check that in a standard locked case (as happens every day in the rest of the US); and you can easily expect charges will be filed regardless of the actual legal standing. One probably carried parts "to make said pistol" across /CITY/ lines into NYC which has its own laws.

Even with a quality lawyer on retainer, you can expect to spend some time by yourself in a quiet room while the flight takes off. Furthermore; judges can play catch with a case like this until something happens. 

I'm not a lawyer. And I've not personally played these games in NYC airports. I am simply explaining how intense the scrutiny is (and has been for a long time); regardless of the actual law. I would personally not try this unless I had at least a month of free time to spare sitting in jail, with a lawyer working round the clock on my case. 

There is no Fisher Price argument in a situation like this (the components of a p80 kit look real and functional). Fail to produce the pistol permit? Even if you win the battle, you still lose the flight. Anyone want to test this scenario for fun? If I were not actively trying to get a pistol permit in upstate NY, I might consider it a bit more seriously... This may be foreign to the rest of the United States citizens at large; but the laws are not applied equally in New York. Corruption has been the cornerstone in NY for generations.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:51 PM, shooterrex said:

Ship the 80% And parts to yourself at the hotel.

This is the best possible scenario I've seen for this inquiry.

Shipping to yourself at home; and repackaging to send to the hotel. Also; use a larger box than needed so the weight distribution is not abnormal. I would never consider carry on tools for this project. But they can be in checked baggage since there isn't anything else weird. If one is riding a motorcycle across four states; I assume there are other metal objects you'll want in that same checked baggage. 

• 2 months later...

Just saw this thread and thought I would chime in here.

I know that it doesn't really have any bearing on the OP's situation but the private transfer background check law that was enacted here in New Mexico is NOT being enforced by ANY law enforcement agency in the state! As it is right now, no one has any idea how to even go about enforcing it and no one is even making any attempt to do so. That B.S. law was passed by the state legislature as feel good legislation to make the dumbazzed liberals of this state feel all warm and fuzzy so they will continue to vote for their favorite democrat at the next election. NONE of those politicians had a plan for enforcing it and for the most part weren't concerned that it's not even enforceable. They did exactly what they set out to do, make their constituency happy so they keep getting the votes!

Oh, and by the way, at least 30 of our 33 Sheriffs refuse to enforce it!

Edited by 392heminut

• 4 weeks later...