Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide
Sign in to follow this  
BK.RD.RNR

ABQ/ Northern NM sidearm advice?

Recommended Posts

I have been planning a Backcountry motorcycle trip in early September. I'll start in Albuquerque, and work my way up into CO, then UT, and AZ. I will likely be going it alone at this point, and have become concerned with wildlife risks, primarily Bears and Mountain Lions.

 

I do have a Non-Resident UT CCW permit. Bringing a sidearm with me is not an option. From the research I've managed, and calling a few gun shops in each state, it seems my best course of action would be to borrow a sidearm from an acquaintance, or 2nd best would be a private party purchase with a background check (per new NM law in effect July 1st 2019), then selling the gun back to an ffl before leaving for home. I have no problem with either scenario, but was wondering if anyone had any better suggestios or ideas. 

 

Preferably I would like something in the 9mm- .45 range, and have no problem leaving a cash deposit to someone generous enough to loan me a sidearm. 

 

Thoughts? Better solutions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to argue with a 10 mm, plenty of juice there for all critters mentioned above. I'd probably go with a Glock 20...won't break the bank and should have decent resale. It blows that a guy has to think like this just for some backcountry tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Move to one of the four States you will be visiting ! If you can't have a firearm where you live legally maybe it's not worth it live there.

10 mm for sure !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Move to one of the four States you will be visiting ! If you can't have a firearm where you live legally maybe it's not worth it live there.

10 mm for sure !

I agree with everything except 460 Rowland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I can understand you can't bring a pistol and you can ccw? why not open carry until your in a cc state? or go the biker way with a mares leg .44 mag and secure it to the bike?  Im missing the rules here? There was a traveler's guide to carry thread and i bought the latest version on amazon several years ago..  there is an updated version every year I think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be blunt, unless you are traveling in grizzly country, which you aren’t, you have more to fear from two legged critters and snakes then black bears and cougars. I live around and coexist with both and don’t even think about them. But 10mm would be a good choice, especially if you can find some shot shells for those above mentioned snakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In AZ, if you're open carrying a pistol on your hip, while you're on a bike - you look just like alot of other people in AZ.  That's 100% legal here, if you're 100% legal to do it.  Hell, in AZ, if you're concealing - it's legal here, if you're a legal gun owner.

I must be missing something here, because you're visiting NM, CO, UT, AZ, and you stated that order.  You're legal in UT, and you'll be legal in AZ.  What am I missing about NM and CO here?

Where are you coming from, to land in NM?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lions tigers and bears?  Oh my!

I wouldn’t worry about the lions. And luckily there’s no tigers.  Bears...well, I e heard they can be reasoned with if you scream at them with a really annoying voice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flying out of NYC, and living in NY is the problem. 
You (I) can't buy a pistol outside of your residence state, and I have been procrastinating about getting my NY permit because it's just such a PIA. I had the opportunity to get the Non Resident UT permit when I took the NRA RSO course, so figured why not, rather than have to double the classroom time down the road when I had my NY permit.

After talking to one of the NM gun shop owners, it sounds like I could do a private purchase, with a background check (as of July 1 2019 by law), then resell the firearm to an ffl before coming home. 

 

yeah, probably overly concerned aboit the dangers of mountain lions, but yeah, rattlesnakes too. Being from the northeast, we are accustomed to being the apex predator here..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BK.RD.RNR said:

Flying out of NYC, and living in NY is the problem.

That is indeed the problem here, and thanks for explaining it.  In the states that you'll visit - you won't catch any shiit for having a gun. NY is what's fucking you here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That is indeed the problem here, and thanks for explaining it.  In the states that you'll visit - you won't catch any shiit for having a gun. NY is what's fucking you here...

Yup, well aware. Part 2 of the dilema is no ffl can sell a non resident a pistol. Federal law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't do it, honestly - because of background. 4473s carry weight, in the worst cases, and the gun is used in a crime.  Once a SN is traced, and the originating FFL of that SN is identified - that FFL has 30 minutes to answer BATF on who they transferred it to, originally.  "get your ass out of bed, go get your books, give us the information, etc." No joke.   After that, it's a BATF crapshoot.  Contact original owner called, "you still own the gun," etc...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BK.RD.RNR said:

Yup, well aware. Part 2 of the dilema is no ffl can sell a non resident a pistol. Federal law.

That's not entirely true - I live in a SnowBird state.  Canadians everywhere once the weather cools.  They buy guns locally all the time. They have a state resident ID, and that's how they do it.  Legal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know anything about the New York laws. You have a pistol there, right?  There’s really no way to travel out of state with it?  Or is it that you don’t have one and need one?  Just curious, sorry it doesn’t help you. But it might help some of us who don’t know learn a little about the state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, you can ship anything you want out of state, FFL-to-FFL. Find a dealer in your destination that that will accept it, preferrably close to where you're arriving.  Whether or not NY "allows" you to get it shipped back to you after that trip - is all on NY laws.  That's all up to your state, and that's on you.

I certainly wouldn't "rent" you a gun for any trip. Full price paid, whatever - what am I out?  I have no way of knowing where that gun goes, you get mugged or shot, run off the road by gang-bangers on the trip, just because you "passed them on the highway..."   gun stolen at that point...  used in a murder after that...  I'm the one explaining, after my FFL is called by BATFE.  I'm the one that has to explain where my gun went, and why...  No Bueno.  Not happening.

Hope that makes sense.  I hope nobody here "rents you a gun" at full price of the firearm.  It's not worth it.

Don't blame us -blame your state laws on this shiit... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Renting Or loaning a firearm to an unknown individual would be a poor judgement call in anyone’s case. I’d be iffy of sending my gun with a lot of the guys here that I feel I know pretty well. Just not a safe move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BK.RD.RNR said:

 

yeah, probably overly concerned aboit the dangers of mountain lions, but yeah, rattlesnakes too. Being from the northeast, we are accustomed to being the apex predator here..

Well.... I’m in MASS and there are lions, bear and rattlesnakes here. But I digress. Not having the license in your state is your weak spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, having procrastinated about getting my ny permit is entirely on me, and is my stumbling block. Had I gotten around to that an ffl to ffl shipment would be the easy answer.

 

In ny you can not "lend" a pistol, they are all registered to you with the serial number on your permit, and there is no reciprocity with other states. And yes, even if it were allowed, it would have to be a very specific set of circumstances for me to be comfortable with such a situation.

 

One ffl mentioned doing a bill of sale, or a bill of gift to obsolve the lender of liability, but with NM new law I don't think that alone would work.

From what I have gathered, a private sale to an out of state resident is permitted, but there still needs to be an ffl involved for a background check, which I have no problem with, and which would legally transfer said firearm and responsibility for it's security to the new owner.

 

As far as the concern for BATF knocking on your door, there is no registration of handguns in the states mentioned, so no tracks to follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's not entirely true - I live in a SnowBird state.  Canadians everywhere once the weather cools.  They buy guns locally all the time. They have a state resident ID, and that's how they do it.  Legal.

Yeah, that's called dual residency, not Non-residency. 

Considering the time frame, and my admittedly poor planning in this regard, that obviously is not an option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you thought of a polymer 80 pistol build when you get to NM?  You would need to source everything beforehand and have it waiting.  Then finish the lower and assemble.  You would not be able to take it back with you and cannot sell the lower.  You should be able to sell the remaining parts though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Have you thought of a polymer 80 pistol build when you get to NM?  You would need to source everything beforehand and have it waiting.  Then finish the lower and assemble.  You would not be able to take it back with you and cannot sell the lower.  You should be able to sell the remaining parts though.

 

Have actually been thinking about that option all morning. Probably the best and most economical solution. 

 

Anyone in Northwest NM have the necessary tools and some shop space they're willing to share for a few hours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:52 PM, BK.RD.RNR said:

I have been planning a Backcountry motorcycle trip in early September. I'll start in Albuquerque, and work my way up into CO, then UT, and AZ. I will likely be going it alone at this point, and have become concerned with wildlife risks, primarily Bears and Mountain Lions.

 

I do have a Non-Resident UT CCW permit. Bringing a sidearm with me is not an option. From the research I've managed, and calling a few gun shops in each state, it seems my best course of action would be to borrow a sidearm from an acquaintance, or 2nd best would be a private party purchase with a background check (per new NM law in effect July 1st 2019), then selling the gun back to an ffl before leaving for home. I have no problem with either scenario, but was wondering if anyone had any better suggestios or ideas. 

 

Preferably I would like something in the 9mm- .45 range, and have no problem leaving a cash deposit to someone generous enough to loan me a sidearm. 

 

Thoughts? Better solutions?

OK. Maybe I'm just confused in general about this. But if you already own a sidearm (regardless of where you live), why aren't you just taking it with you? You're allowed to have a pistol that "belongs" to you, with you. Especially these western states that you're talking about. In general, they don't give a $hit. Is it your weapon? Yes. OK....have a nice day. Hell.....we're not talking about you riding into California.......where obviously you'd be a racist.....white supremacist.....homophobe......genderphobe......and on and on and on, just for wanting to own such a thing.

I've dragged multiple rifles and sidearms (at one time mind you) all the way across the country from the peoples republic of Maryland to Arizona many times. It's not like you have to conceal carry (especially in these states), just keep the pistol in your pack on the back of the bike and you shouldn't have a problem. If, for some reason, you get pulled over, you be straight up with the officer and tell him (her, them, whatever) that you have a pistol in your pack, just for things like random wildlife. More than likely, they'll understand. After all.....they live in those areas. I don't see a problem here.

Or am I not getting something here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BK.RD.RNR said:

Anyone in Northwest NM have the necessary tools and some shop space they're willing to share for a few hours?

P80 sends you the proper-sized drill bits you need, and the jig.  You need a drill to run those bits.  You need a vise or c-clamps to hold the jig together.  You need a file, to file off 4 tabs that stick out. You need a knife or a razor blade to smooth everything out.  You can literally do a P80 lower in a hotel room, after a trip to Ace Hardware for a few small things.  No kidding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...