• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hurricane Dorian

RedRiverII

We're supposed to experience a hurricane soon and I thought I'd get in touch with folks here in Florida.  I've prepared over a couple of years for this situation.  It's best to get prepared now as I see the beginnings of a run on supplies already.  I dislike the way some media folks are presenting this storm,  hitting all the high notes and pausing for effect.  It's like a cheap acting class where folks are emoting for style.  I detest these people who should be calmly assuring us,  and informing us how to best prepare.  The best way to deal with emergencies like this is to do it now while it's sunny and calm.  I'll fill my gas tanks and cans today.  I've got 4 propane tanks for the generator.  MRE's that I don't wish to get into but have enough for a month.  Extra water for a week,  dog food and cat food aplenty,  thank goodness for the dry food stuff.  Remember some pet foods can be eaten by us,  I don't expect it to be that bad but...  Tarps and duct tape are a good thing to have on hand.  Batteries,  batteries,  batteries.  A radio is a terrific item.  

The lists can go on and on.  The storm may be bad and get worse,  or it can turn into a nothing thing.  Keep an eye out for your neighbor,  I'm the youngster in a 55+ community and will be watching.  If you're in a community type arrangement or development know where the sewers are.  All the leaves and debris quickly gather there and can cause flooding.  A simple raking off of debris can save thousands in damages.  Flag the sewers if you can,  a simple pole with a red or orange flag will do.  My man cave,  which is my garage, needs to get ready to accept two cars.  It is not ready,  o boy!  Meds?  Got enough?  You are aware of the main reason we come to this site.  Have that available,  you never know.

I hope this post is a waste of energy,  and we're all safe.  God Bless.

We already talked Red. Not there but have a place in the cross hairs. Have good neighbors and an active community that is prepping already. On a lighter note, had my ten year colonoscopy. Good news no “C”. But the doctor thought I should do something about that tapeworm the size of a Bull snake.🐍

Hey Sisco,  hoping that bull snake is B.S.  I'm guessing it is.

Thanks sketch,  we have what some folks call lakes behind the houses.  Plenty of wildlife live there but they are really huge catch basins.  Sewers,  not sanitary but rain water goes directly into the " Lake".  I have the pumping station right there with the Call box standing by.  Thank you for your concern.@sketch

Edited by RedRiverII

Attention:  Storm seems to be headed North along the coast.  Hope the f'kr heads out to the 800 line and blows itself out.  All quiet here,  most of the storm shutters and prep work completed in my community.  Anyone who has folks down West Palm area,  we may be blessed with some heavy rain but less than predicted.  May get our anatomy handed to us but who knows?  Over prepared is a good thing when you are stationary.  Some friends quietly ran out of town.  Hope they don't need any favors,  ain't happening from me.  Stone Soup.

Yeah, we are not out of the clear or know we are in the feces until tomorrow afternoon. Thank the Lord for our good friends and neighbors who did the things I forgot or didn’t know  to do to get ready for it. Taking them out to the best restaurant I can find when we see them! Stay safe Red.

Grand Bahama:

Dorian severely damaged the international airport on the island, hampering rescue efforts.

Hurricane Dorian's devastation on Grand BahamaImage copyrightREUTERS Presentational white space

Some newer homes survived well, while other structures were obliterated.

Hurricane Dorian's devastation on Grand BahamaImage copyrightREUTERS Presentational white space Hurricane Dorian's devastation on Grand BahamaImage copyrightREUTERS Presentational white space Hurricane Dorian's devastation on Grand BahamaImage copyrightREUTERS Presentational white space Hurricane Dorian's devastation on Grand BahamaImage copyrightREUTERS Presentational white space

Abaco Islands:

The Abacos took the full force of Dorian last weekend. Only the 1935 Labor Day hurricane matched its landfall wind speed of 185mph (298km/h).

The town of Marsh Harbour was devastated.

Devastation in the Abacos, northern BahamasImage copyrightREUTERS Presentational white space

Entire communities were flattened on the Abacos, with thousands of people needing shelter and aid.

Devastation in the Abacos, northern BahamasImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES Presentational white space Devastation in the Abacos, northern BahamasImage copyrightREUTERS Presentational white space Devastation in the Abacos, northern BahamasImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES Presentational white space Devastation in the Abacos, northern BahamasImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES Presentational white space

The coastal surges have still to recede in many parts.

Devastation in the Abacos, northern BahamasImage copyrightREUTERS

Edited by Cunuckgaucho

Bahamas.com/relief  They are listing relief agencies and places to donate.  They are asking for money right now,  goods and services will come later because of no infrastructure now.  God Bless the Bahamas.  It could've happened here,  only 90 miles away.

Edited by RedRiverII

Bleach,  hydrogen peroxide,  disinfectants,  baby stuff,  these are the things needed immediately,  all things are needed but first things first.  Spoke to a gentleman at one of the centers and volunteered for service,  I'll load up with some bleach and hydrogen peroxide,  let my wife handle the baby stuff.  I'll know more tomorrow when I report in.