• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How to destroy a Classic Car...

98Z5V

Take a true Classic Car - 1970 Plymouth Barracuda.  Swap in a 720hp Hellcat engine.  Feature this car - built by SpeedKore - in the "Fast & Furious 8" movie.  Then sell it.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/07/10/kevin-harts-40th-birthday-gift-speedkores-70-plymouth-cuda

kevin_hart_cuda4.ashx?modified=201907101

Comedian Kevin Hart bought the car as a 40th birthday present to himself.  He was born July 6th, 1979, so he turned 40 on July 6th, 2019  - I'd guess he bought it that day?...

He let a buddy drive it - he wasn't driving.  He and the driver have sustained serious back injuries - but there was a girl in the back seat that was unharmed?  In the link below, in the pic slideshow - I can't even see a back seat?...   At any rate, this badass modern classic is done.  That $70k didn't last long...

https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/01/kevin-hart-car-accident-malibu-off-road-passengers-trapped/

e7fcd7333de741bea683f52b5f1e2e2c_md.jpg

0d071ea73321452794ad72af128c5d92_md.jpg

I've driven Mulholland Drive/Highway the whole length, in a built RX-7 - it's a pretty hairy road...  I went from Monterey down there in a day, just to drive that road.  It's not as badass as Robinson Canyon Road, near Carmel (way shorter but SKETCH!), but it's a pretty badass road.  Cali has TONS of great "driving roads," if you're into that kinda thing... 

1024px-Mulholland_Drive.png

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Take a true Classic Car - 1970 Plymouth Barracuda.  Swap in a 720hp Hellcat engine.  Feature this car - built by SpeedKore - in the "Fast & Furious 8" movie.  Then sell it.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/07/10/kevin-harts-40th-birthday-gift-speedkores-70-plymouth-cuda

kevin_hart_cuda4.ashx?modified=201907101

Comedian Kevin Hart bought the car as a 40th birthday present to himself.  He was born July 6th, 1979, so he turned 40 on July 6th, 2019  - I'd guess he bought it that day?...

He let a buddy drive it - he wasn't driving.  He and the driver have sustained serious back injuries - but there was a girl in the back seat that was unharmed?  In the link below, in the pic slideshow - I can't even see a back seat?...   At any rate, this badass modern classic is done.  That $70k didn't last long...

https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/01/kevin-hart-car-accident-malibu-off-road-passengers-trapped/

e7fcd7333de741bea683f52b5f1e2e2c_md.jpg

0d071ea73321452794ad72af128c5d92_md.jpg

I've driven Mulholland Drive/Highway the whole length, in a built RX-7 - it's a pretty hairy road...  I went from Monterey down there in a day, just to drive that road.  It's not as badass as Robinson Canyon Road, near Carmel (way shorter but SKETCH!), but it's a pretty badass road.  Cali has TONS of great "driving roads," if you're into that kinda thing... 

1024px-Mulholland_Drive.png

Drove Robinson Canyon road in a rented Mustang GT when I was out in Carmel in May for my sisters wedding. She had rented a hacienda for guests nearby on Laureles Grade Road.  Badass! Went back and did it three times more! Last one was in fog. Decided that was enough.

Edited by Sisco

19 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Drove Robinson Canyon road in a rented Mustang GT when I was out in Carmel in May for my sisters wedding. She had rented a hacienda for guests nearby on Laureles Grade Road.  Badass! Went back and did it three times more! Last one was in fog. Decided that was enough.

That's 17 miles one-way, that ends at that private country club gate out there - and you turn around and drive back out that 17 miles...   That long straight at the bottom, between the two mountains/hills/whatever - had that RX over 120 in that flat.  Think about all those 180-hairpins that you drove through - I went through those 2nd gear sideways on the rev limiter, brother, in that RX.  Downhill hairpins on the way out, uphill hairpins in the way back...  I was "drifting" before anyone even knew what it was...   '86~'87 in the built '79 RX, and again in '89~'91 in the '87 RX.  First year of the car, for both Gen 1 and Gen 2.  I love those fuckers, and one day I'll own a twin turbo Gen 3.

31 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Laureles Grade Road. 

This is a pretty seriously fun piece of road, too, brother.  Carmel Valley to Hwy 68 to Salinas - shortcut and bypass Monterey altogether, between the two places...  It's awesome, because you can REALLY keep your speed up on that one, and "pray for tire grip..."  :banana::hail:

Highway 68 the other way, from Monterey to Carmel, almost killed me one night - I died out there that night. I'm lucky I'm still even here, and that was as a dumbass 18-year old.  1987 Kawasaki Ninja 600RX, too, brand new.  Didn't even know what it was worth, bought it for the paint.  Black, silver/gray, and red - different from other red.white.blue Ninjas.  Midnight one night, pissed at a crazy girlfriend, hauled ass on the bike to "get away from the madness..." Hit a fucking groundhog in a turn about 80mph, right at the top of the hill, crossing under the bridge at the top. When I woke up, I was on my back, down the hill, in a clear cut tree area, and the sun was up.  I went to undo the chinstrap on the helmet, and the helmet came apart at the top - fell off my head.  I broke the helmet in two pieces, left front to right back.  Split the helmet down the middle.

This is where I went off the road:

1657602763_HolmanHighway.thumb.png.020c5f5524cea4c351c3eb6c16f00631.png 

That was a steep uphill climb, left turn, and it leveled out right under the bridge across the road, and immediately transitioned to a right-hander downhill - I was pissed-riding at midnight, in the left climb, hauling ass - and woke up when the sun was out. Couldn't find the bike, after the helmet fell off me.  Walked back to the barracks and slept. 3pm that day, me and buddies went looking for the bike - it was 100 yards downhill from where I stopped sliding.  It took us a week to get it out of there, uphill, out of that clear cut.  Stumps fucking everywhere.  When we got up there that day, there was a dead groundhog in the road, with a pretty distinctive "V" in the middle of him - I hit that fucker.  No marks on the 2-foot high guardrail, at all - didn't even touch it, cleared it completely - then flew over that hill, missed all the stumps, slid - I don't even know.  The bike didn't miss the stumps - the left side of the bike was damn near gone...  I have no idea why I'm even still here, able to tell about it...   Someone wanted me around, for whatever reason...   :hail:

Laguna Seca is right there too. I didn’t try any thing too hairy. I was just enjoying thumb shifting the 8 speed automatic. I was looking for roads to drive that thing on. Got a deal on it for $100 a day for three days. Was going to get my moneys worth. My nephew enjoyed it in the passenger seat. He just enlisted in the Navy last week.  His wife just got out of the Army! Go figure.

22 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Laguna Seca is right there too. I didn’t try any thing too hairy. I was just enjoying thumb shifting the 8 speed automatic. I was looking for roads to drive that thing on. Got a deal on it for $100 a day for three days. Was going to get my moneys worth. My nephew enjoyed it in the passenger seat. He just enlisted in the Navy last week.  His wife just got out of the Army! Go figure.

I didn't "volunteer" to work any races at Laguna Seca while I was stationed there, but I was "volun-told" to work them many times...  :laffs:  Fuckin' Army shiit...  :lmao:  I've "worked" six of them at that track, and that track is amazing.  I love that area, I just wish we could get it out of Cali, the whole area, and move it to someplace like Tejas...   The Monterey Peninsula is just unreal...   :hail:

34 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I didn't "volunteer" to work any races at Laguna Seca while I was stationed there, but I was "volun-told" to work them many times...  :laffs:  Fuckin' Army shiit...  :lmao:  I've "worked" six of them at that track, and that track is amazing.  I love that area, I just wish we could get it out of Cali, the whole area, and move it to someplace like Tejas...   The Monterey Peninsula is just unreal...   :hail:

Only place in California I feel comfortable.

On 9/1/2019 at 3:18 PM, 98Z5V said:

That's 17 miles one-way, that ends at that private country club gate out there - and you turn around and drive back out that 17 miles...   That long straight at the bottom, between the two mountains/hills/whatever - had that RX over 120 in that flat.  Think about all those 180-hairpins that you drove through - I went through those 2nd gear sideways on the rev limiter, brother, in that RX.  Downhill hairpins on the way out, uphill hairpins in the way back...  I was "drifting" before anyone even knew what it was...   '86~'87 in the built '79 RX, and again in '89~'91 in the '87 RX.  First year of the car, for both Gen 1 and Gen 2.  I love those fuckers, and one day I'll own a twin turbo Gen 3.

I feel that in some way you just plagerized  me ! Sounds like the Charger story back in 85' coming back from lunch at Smitty's with the NBI co-workers. Turns at 85 , 75 , 70 and a 180° @45mph in an intersection. "Drifting before drifting existed , we called it fishtailing ! " I had the car on two wheels !  Also went over the I-10 overpass @120mph. Brakes were $h!t ,had to downshift to get traction. 700+HP and N50 15" tires were not a good combo !

Back in highschool (01-05ish, I know I know lol) westgadad had a 73 Challenger. Primer gray, noisy, obnoxious etc etc. I freaking thought he was the coolest thing since sliced bread lol. His girlfriend used to drive it sometimes when he'd skip that day, I hated her for that. I couldn't imagine trashing a cuda like that. Those don't just grow on trees nowadays.

My fixall uncle had a 60's era ( chevelle I think)  decked out except the motor.. he was trailering it to Alaska from Az. made to I 5 almost to the border and the trailer broke loose and smashed into a guardrail.. wrecking the car! As the legend goes he towed it back to Az. cut a hole in his house big enough to fit the car inside and began to fix it.. that was over 10 years ago? Next time he passes through I'll have to ask him about it? Good chance it's still in his living room? 

11 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

I feel that in some way you just plagerized  me

Psssshhhhh.   I was raging Robinson Canyon Road in a 12A-engined '79 RX in '86.  By the time '87 came around, it was a 3 rotor build, and I was eating Mustang 5.0sout on HIghway 1 and 101...   :lmao:  My nemesis was a built 280Z, that I came up on coming back from Santa Cruz beach...   That dude ATE. MY. LUNCH.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 8:45 PM, Robocop1051 said:

I was in a guys shop last week. He had a 70 Nova, completely gutted, getting outfitted with a complete AWD Tesla kit. It’s gonna be BAD. 

Does it have a CARB E.O. number?   No, wait, ...    Trump is gonna fix all that bullshiit real quick...  :banana::laffs:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 6:55 PM, 392heminut said:

I got one! 1970 with a 5.7 Hemi in it. I haven't started it up in over a year but I have it!😝

I had a 70 Challenger but it had a 318 and was a POS. Sold it to the husband of a lady who took over running Speedworld, saw it run a 10.xx before the dragstrip shut down.