• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Long Distance: Getting started

Matt.Cross

16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Those two are an awesome combination.  They're just getting it done, in Layman's Terms.  I love it.   :hail:

"...that's the mirage.  You can even see it in the snow..."

How many times have I covered that, in the wind-reading classes...   :thumbup:

Their banter back and forth reminds me of shooting with Matt.  I kid you not.   :lmao:

"Hey, counting is HARD. So back up off of me..."   :laffs:

also Hey I don't like being this close to your crotch, (cleckner) apparently just on camera...... LMAO

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

cant2.jpg

Using the trajectory of a 168-grain, .30-caliber bullet, with a ballistic coefficient (BC) of .462 and muzzle velocity of 2,681 fps, let’s examine the effects of these different cants. Our imaginary rifle will have the scope mounted 1.8 inches above the centerline of the bore.

I knew that a canted scope had an effect, it was interesting to see the math and actual numbers.

That's great info right there, brother, and spells it all out.  That's also exactly why I put one of these things on almost every gun that's gonna go over 800 yards...

Vortex Bubble Level for Riflescopes with 30mm Main Tubes BL30

You can pull 800, 850, with just about anything in your inventory, with enough practice and solid distance-fundamentals - and no bubble level.  But man, it sure makes it easier for the spotter to give you accurate corrections, when you're shooting level, every single shot. 

54 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Our imaginary rifle will have the scope mounted 1.8 inches above the centerline of the bore.

This is interesting, too - and the higher the scope centerline is mounted over the barrel centerline (height over bore), the more it's gonna be off.  1.8" height over bore is bolt gun stuff.  Even my Win Mag is 2.0" height over bore, and that's the best (lowest) I could get it with the 30 MOA rail on it.  ARs are commonly 2.5" height over bore - so those are gonna be even further off target, than the distances given above, for the ranges given above...  

• 4 months later...

True info there My Larue 111 mount is a 20 min of angle mount my bolt gun has a 20 min of angle rail on it my sight over bore is 2.38 inches I have to be very carefull and use and believe my bubble and not get in a hurry when i shoot 1000 +it is huge....

Saterlee's method is the one i used to develop my load for the 6.5x284 I had my load in 11 rounds with a ES of 2 at the top of my node with H4350 used that load with three rounds 10 K of the lands fired a group at 100 it was 1/4 inch moved the bullet to 15 k off the lands loaded 7 rounds first two at 400 both dead center hits next two at 800 again both hits went to 1000 first round hit next i missed it was me next round hit  so with less than 25 rounds i was done and dusted!

Edited by Magwa

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's a pretty good article from RECOIL Magazine, on long range shooting.   It's right - ballistics solvers and electronic aids can make anyone a long range hero, if you have enough gun to do it.  My personal views don't jive with the article, though, because I'm a firm believer that you need to be able to do all this stuff without the use of electronic aids.  "What are you gonna do when the batteries fail?..."

Good article, though. :thumbup:

https://www.recoilweb.com/demystifying-long-range-shooting-172201.html

• 1 year later...

That's a great read, and very on-point with regard to communication and trusting your spotter. That lesson concreted itself at the Spring Shoot when a miss looked different from my perspective, yet trusting the spotters call got me on target in a jiffy, rather than adjusting by my data.

5 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

communication and trusting your spotter.

Gotta happen.  When I was working on getting a zero in Andy's gun, Ty was spotting, and calling perfect.  Ty helped shorted that process greatly, with less rounds - and I actually asked him about one call he made, and he confirmed that call without a doubt.  I trusted him, made the adjustment that he called and BAM!  Fuckin' gun was zero'd after that. 

On an experienced 2-man team, the Spotter is usually the more experienced Sniper.  Not what the movies make you believe, the other way around.

On 1/9/2022 at 8:47 AM, 98Z5V said:

Here's a pretty good article from RECOIL Magazine, on long range shooting.   It's right - ballistics solvers and electronic aids can make anyone a long range hero, if you have enough gun to do it.  My personal views don't jive with the article, though, because I'm a firm believer that you need to be able to do all this stuff without the use of electronic aids.  "What are you gonna do when the batteries fail?..."

Good article, though. :thumbup:

https://www.recoilweb.com/demystifying-long-range-shooting-172201.html

I agree with you Tom if you can do the math then you can do it anywhere  but I am going to have to take classes cause I just do not get it ..without my ABS app I am toast past 500.....

13 hours ago, Magwa said:

I agree with you Tom if you can do the math then you can do it anywhere  but I am going to have to take classes cause I just do not get it ..without my ABS app I am toast past 500.....

Well if you're looking for a class might I suggest looking at Rob Furlong's in Edmonton 12-13hrs north of you,especially with how strong the USD is compared to CAD.

From March 2002 until November 2009, Rob held the world record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in combat, at 2,430 m (2,657 yd)

13 hours ago, Magwa said:

We didn't run the full classes last Fall Shoot, brother.  We'll run ALL the Long Distances classes this Fall '23 - and everything will make much more sense.  After that, hear it, practice it, learn it - it'll lock alot of it in.  You won't even need a ballistic app after that, or an electronic laser  range finder.  You'll sight in on something, and it will all click, and make sense.  :thumbup:

That's my money-back guarantee.  I'll refund the cost of the whole course, if you don't understand afterwards.  The course fee is - show up.  Total money traded hands is Free-Fiddy-Free.  I'll refund all that if I can't get you to absorb it and learn it. 

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

We didn't run the full classes last Fall Shoot, brother.  We'll run ALL the Long Distances classes this Fall '23 - and everything will make much more sense.  After that, hear it, practice it, learn it - it'll lock alot of it in.  You won't even need a ballistic app after that, or an electronic laser  range finder.  You'll sight in on something, and it will all click, and make sense.  :thumbup:

That's my money-back guarantee.  I'll refund the cost of the whole course, if you don't understand afterwards.  The course fee is - show up.  Total money traded hands is Free-Fiddy-Free.  I'll refund all that if I can't get you to absorb it and learn it. 

Magwa say... Good Trade!

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2023 at 1:53 AM, 98Z5V said:

Gotta happen.  When I was working on getting a zero in Andy's gun, Ty was spotting, and calling perfect.  Ty helped shorted that process greatly, with less rounds - and I actually asked him about one call he made, and he confirmed that call without a doubt.  I trusted him, made the adjustment that he called and BAM!  Fuckin' gun was zero'd after that. 

On an experienced 2-man team, the Spotter is usually the more experienced Sniper.  Not what the movies make you believe, the other way around.

100% Fact. Your only as good as your spotter. 🙂