• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Long Distance: Getting started

Matt.Cross

This thread has been long overdue. I am going to pin this thread as a topic for the specifics of long range shooting, as defined by ranges in excess of 500 yards for centerfire cartridges and 100 yards or more for rimfire. 

Here's a good video starting point:

This thread (and some others) will serve to extend the classes that are given at the spring and fall shoots.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was a great video!  Down to earth, simple terms from Ryan, always. 

At the 10-minute-ish mark, he was talking about ocular focus, and I want to add what I do.  Most of the scopes I buy anymore (last 6 or 7 years) have a parallax adjustment on them - "side focus" is a common term for it.  I always set the focus up on a new scope at 100 yards, at a defined target that I can see clearly (one of those sighter targets in multiple colors, or something like that).  I set my parallax adjustment to 100 yards THEN I start tweaking the ocular focus ring, until I can see clearly. 

Not only are you focusing your scope to YOU, but you're "zero'ing" your parallax adjustment.  SUPER IMPORTANT not to fuk that up.  Let's say your parallax adjustment was almost on 500 when you set your scope up - and you adjusted the focus to YOU like that - your parallax adjustment, and the ranges on it, are worthless to you when you're out there doing it,with wind, dirt flying, etc.

I like these targets the best, for this task:

695cf1a9-6c6b-42da-9997-76d2d956f321_1.2

If you're red/green colorblind, they won't work well for you...  

Here's the best place for anyone that wants to get into long range shooting - to get into.

My :soap: here - it's SO COOL to watch a bunch of videos on YT, and learn what they say!!!  But... you have to go out there and DO IT. 

Book Knowledge versus Practical Experience.  You can learn all you want, and learn more, and learn more...   and if you don't go DO IT... You're a bookworm, that talks all the proper terms, talks all the shiit when people report their results downrange - you're THAT GUY giving the critique of someone out there that's really DOING IT...  and you're an armchair quarterback.  This is easy to pick out, in the critiques, if you've done it before.

So, forewarning, right now...  If you're a video warrior, a YT Ninja, and you learn everything there is online - and you've never shot 800-ish yards or more...  it's gonna be readily apparent here.  We have a bunch of guys here that have done it, lived it, and load their own ammo just to get more of it... 

On that note, for long range shooting, most people need to start right here, with Rex Reviews.  Sniper 101.  There are 101 videos in this series. This series will give you a complete understanding on everything that you need to know to make long range shots.  What this WON'T give you is the experience.  Just the info, and knowledge...  Go Practice..... Ammo ain't cheap,and building up a skill like this takes YEARS WORTH of money, just in ammo...   :thumbup:

Start with #1:

Remember - there are 101 videos in that series.

Edited by 98Z5V

Next up is this - every single video that Ryan Cleckner ever made while he was working with the NSSF.  Watch them all, learn from them all, absorb it all.  It's GOLD. 

That's a free education - but it's just an education, and it gives you zero experience.  You need to go apply that.  Watch something - go do something...  

Here's a link to them all:

https://www.nssf.org/tag/ryan-cleckner/

Once you guys get into this - you'll start fucking with me during the Long Range and High Angle classes at the shoots...   :thefinger::lmao:

"But, but, but...!!!"  I'll hear all about it.  "But, HE said!...."  

Then, we go out and DO IT.  That's when that momentary burst of Rational Clarity slams you in the side of your head, and everything starts to make sense...  When YOU are on the gun, and doing it, for real.  Not by watching a video...  :thumbup:

How long have I been pimping scope levels? I have one on every one of my "serious distance guns."  Not so much on a battle-rifle, or truck gun, but they're on ALL of my guns that I consider "distance guns." That's 1k+ for mine.  Here's why:

tip to remember, LOAD that bipod the same each and every time , living room floor is a great place to dry fire, make triple sure your scope is level, do a ladder test and remember to zero your gun and check that zero often ,(making sure your zero stop works properly) make sure whatever program or dope you are using the the info you i=enter on your program is 100 % correct ie scope over bore, twist rate, velocity of ammo, and BC of bullet G1, G7, or custom and don't believe the velocity of your ammo printed on the box it comes in or what the book says chrono that poop.....

53 minutes ago, Magwa said:

tip to remember, LOAD that bipod the same each and every time , living room floor is a great place to dry fire, make triple sure your scope is level, do a ladder test and remember to zero your gun and check that zero often ,(making sure your zero stop works properly) make sure whatever program or dope you are using the the info you i=enter on your program is 100 % correct ie scope over bore, twist rate, velocity of ammo, and BC of bullet G1, G7, or custom and don't believe the velocity of your ammo printed on the box it comes in or what the book says chrono that poop.....

Excellent addition to the thread! 

On 11/3/2019 at 1:01 AM, 98Z5V said:

Here's the best place for anyone that wants to get into long range shooting - to get into.

My :soap: here - it's SO COOL to watch a bunch of videos on YT, and learn what they say!!!  But... you have to go out there and DO IT. 

Book Knowledge versus Practical Experience.  You can learn all you want, and learn more, and learn more...   and if you don't go DO IT... You're a bookworm, that talks all the proper terms, talks all the shiit when people report their results downrange - you're THAT GUY giving the critique of someone out there that's really DOING IT...  and you're an armchair quarterback.  This is easy to pick out, in the critiques, if you've done it before.

So, forewarning, right now...  If you're a video warrior, a YT Ninja, and you learn everything there is online - and you've never shot 800-ish yards or more...  it's gonna be readily apparent here.  We have a bunch of guys here that have done it, lived it, and load their own ammo just to get more of it... 

On that note, for long range shooting, most people need to start right here, with Rex Reviews.  Sniper 101.  There are 101 videos in this series. This series will give you a complete understanding on everything that you need to know to make long range shots.  What this WON'T give you is the experience.  Just the info, and knowledge...  Go Practice..... Ammo ain't cheap,and building up a skill like this takes YEARS WORTH of money, just in ammo...   :thumbup:

Start with #1:

Remember - there are 101 videos in that series.

A very good video, but maybe I missed something, "The Ladder Testing for reloading" Maybe one of you modern long range shooters would explain how to do a proper long range cartridge reloading Ladder Test. I know how, but I am not really into long range shooting (over 500 yds).

OK Ladder test is done at 100 yards take a piece of cardboard over 30 inches tall , take a level or any other straight edge and make a line 30 inches long down the center of the cardboard take a sticky little target like a 1 inch round one and stick it on the bottom of your line then if you are shooting MOA that is my system measure up 30 inches exactly and put the other stick round 1 inch target so that the bull is right on 30 inches. so to make sure everyone understands what you will have is a piece of cardboard with a line in the middle going from top to bottom at each end will be a 1 inch sticky target so between the two bullseyes is exactly 30 inches this is for MOA mils will be a bit more i think but you will have to do the math for mills.

So now go to a range and take a level the cardboard MUST be set up right and that line on it must be level, and the bench you shoot from must be level then your scope is level as well as long as it is on the gun correctly. OK target level check gun and scope level check now fire a 3 shot group at the bottom target you should hit dead center on the line and on the target if you are zeroed at 100  then dial up say 10 min. of angle while still aiming at the same target you just shot at 100 the little stick your group should be 10 inches higher and on the line. dial up 20 do the same then if you have it dial up 30 and do the same all of your groups should be on the line and they should be the amount you dialed up so if you dialed 10 then 20 then 30 you should have 3 groups on the line at zero+100 yards group 1 then ten inches above that group for 10 MOA then 20 inches above the first group then finally 30 inches above  REMEMBER you are always aiming at the 100 yard group but if your scope is tracking correctly then it should move the group up the line, if the groups are not on the line then your scope is either not setup correctly or it is drifting ..you can repeat this test up down make a square and shoot one corner then say it is 6 inches square dial 6 min left to the next corner then up 6 min then right 6 min all the while AIMING at the FIRST square you shot.....

when everything checks out then you are ready to dial up some distance...hope this helps

Edited by Magwa
adding content

Good one Magwa, this is what I call "the ladder test"to verify a rifle scope setup for distance be sure you use the same rounds you intend to use for long range.

There are more than one type of Ladder Tests.  Another one is used to find the best powder load for long range shooting. It involves loading at least 3 rounds of ammo with the same brass and bullet but varry the powder in .5 grain such as: 3 rounds with 36grain of 4064, 3 rounds with 36.5 grain, 3 rounds of 37 grains, etc.,etc. Using the same aiming point.

There are probably several other ladder tests possible,  but the commonality is changing the variant in equal steps using the same aiming point to establish a ladder step pattern of data to use.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

This is exactly what I go over at the Shoots.  Using your parallax adjustment ("Side Focus" on your scope) to determine wind at different ranges, out to the target...  

Also exactly why I stated earlier that it's important to "zero" your parallax adjustment at the distance that you're zero'ing your rifle, BEFORE you adjust your eye focus...  Zero the parallax (say it's 100 yards - set the parallax adjustment to 100), THEN zero your eyeball.  Then, you zero your scope,with ammo, on target, at that 100 yards...  if you skip that parallax step, you'll never be able to accurately use your scope for reading wind at different ranges UP TO the target...   I shiit you not...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

Those two are an awesome combination.  They're just getting it done, in Layman's Terms.  I love it.   :hail:

"...that's the mirage.  You can even see it in the snow..."

How many times have I covered that, in the wind-reading classes...   :thumbup:

Their banter back and forth reminds me of shooting with Matt.  I kid you not.   :lmao:

"Hey, counting is HARD. So back up off of me..."   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V