• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Another year done...

Cunuckgaucho

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Well things are looking up. Crawled underneath today(better weather today see OP for weather yesterday) looks like the front axle u-joint failed at the transfer case end, there are some marks on the oil pan and y-pipe but no other signs of damage to undercarriage. I've seen/heard horror stories of u-joint failure tearing things up. 

So if anything maybe if Tom stood closer none of this would have happened...

See even saying it's not your fault I've made it your fault :popcorn:

Was it a Dodge.. 

1 hour ago, mrmackc said:

Not that I really remember but there may be a picture of a brotherly butt hug somewhere around here,

Hey didn't 'dem boys from Menny-Soda whupup on them Aught-to-have-burned Tiagers today?

It didn't sit too well wid 'Dem ES&P&N guys, they must of believed all that hoopla that the sports media did by rateing Auburn #12 and Menny-Soda #18 in the nation.

BTW     H A P P Y    N E W    Y  E A R  ! 

:fullauto::laffs::bitchslap:🔊🔊

Being a Minnie Soda alumni, it was fun to see the Golden Rodents tear up the SEC big boys. Ski U Mah!

4 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Nope... it's a Land Rover

DAMN!!!   You're rollin' DEEP brother!!!...   Rovers and shiit!!!...   :hail:

#1 Question here...   How the FUK did you break a Rover?!...   :laffs:

You're worse than GREG...   That guy could break an anvil in a sandpit...   No other tools required...   :lmao:

Gonna take GREG a minute to find this hidden little gem...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

There are stronger U-Joints than OEM spec.  I learned this in the Jeep World, early '90s.  What U-Joint was the thing spec'd with.  Jeep example I have is shucking the 297X u-joints for 760X u-joints.  I'll find a cross-reference for you, bet one that.  I have a stronger one for you, brother.   :thumbup:

Thank god I was a 4-wheeler in my past life...   :banana:

EDIT - FWIW, I've been doing the Jeep shiit long enough that those 297X u-joints were THE upgrade...   :cool:

Edited by 98Z5V

23 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Thanks brother,

The guy with the lift only does Rovers. I'll definitely get the heavy duty u-joint. Turns out the one that failed is sealed and no grease nipple hence the weak point. Others aren't bad( greasable) but will have them upgraded while it's on the hoist. 

Grease nipples in the cross aren't a weak point - if you install them right.  You can clock that thing 90 degrees when you're putting it in, and MAKE it a weak point though.  That's bad installation, right there.  Don't fear u-joints with zerks in them - you just gotta install them correctly, and they will never, ever fail at the zerk.   :thumbup:

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Grease nipples in the cross aren't a weak point - if you install them right.  You can clock that thing 90 degrees when you're putting it in, and MAKE it a weak point though.  That's bad installation, right there.  Don't fear u-joints with zerks in them - you just gotta install them correctly, and they will never, ever fail at the zerk.   :thumbup:

Must be my accent :banana: the weakness in this u-joint wasn't the grease nipple but the lack of one. For some reason LR installed all the others with grease nipples but this one is sealed tucked up behind the engine and above the exhaust Y. Goes on the hoist Monday, going to beef up all the u-joints, rebuild/beef up/balance drive shaft

16 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Must be my accent :banana: the weakness in this u-joint wasn't the grease nipple but the lack of one. For some reason LR installed all the others with grease nipples but this one is sealed tucked up behind the engine and above the exhaust Y. Goes on the hoist Monday, going to beef up all the u-joints, rebuild/beef up/balance drive shaft

I completely understood that, when you said it, brother.  Believe me.  What I was clarifying is one simple fact - zerks in the cross of the u-joint are NOT a weak point, if those u-joints are installed correctly.  If they're NOT installed correctly - they're a definite cause of a future driveline failure, and it WILL happen.  If you use a u-joint with a zerk on the cross, you need to be smart enough installing it, that you don't "clock" it wrong, or it WILL FAIL prematurely.  You clock it right, zero issues, for the life of it.  It's the little things, that make the big differences...  

That was my point.  :thumbup:

18 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Well you've been married twice so you've got way more experience being 'wrong'  :hornet: :lmao:

I'm just as bad 3rd time was the charm.

It's like the pain you felt from doing something stupid, after awhile you forgot how much it hurt ...  and you do it again. 😖

Edited by unforgiven

1 hour ago, unforgiven said:

I'm just as bad 3rd time was the charm.

It's like the pain you felt from doing something stupid, after awhile you forgot how much it hurt ...  and you do it again. 😖

Glad it's worked out finally...so there is hope for @98Z5V  seeing as he's 2/3rds of the way there :thumbup: