• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's 6mm ARC

98Z5V

@DayWalker, this is for you, brother.   :hail:

Building a 6mm ARC, and I don't have a single part yet.  I'm making a phonecall in the morning, and I'll bet I get a barrel.  It WILL be a barrel with the SPR profile (Mk12 profile). 18", rifle gas, and straight badass.  News on that endeavor tomorrow night. 

Next up.  LaRue.  I'll build this thing in a LaRue rifle.  I'll have to BUY a LaRue rifle, and swap some stuff out, but that's the way it's gonna go down.  Smartest thing for me to do is buy a LaRue Grendel Ultimate Upper kit, and just part with the barrel.  Next time we're in need here, that LaRue Grendel barrel will go up for auction, for the need at the time. 

Brace yourselves, men, this is happening. 

I found this interesting, because I just changed over ALL my .308 Win precision loads to the Hornady 178 ELD-X projectile. The 178 ELD-X is no joke, and I've got that load DIALED IN...

Hornady-6mm-ARC-4.jpg

Oh, some unit in the military already adopted the 6 ARC - before the cartridge was even announced.  We'll see, for real, how this thing shakes out compared to Valk and Grendel.  :thumbup:

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/hornady-6mm-arc/376852

Edited by 98Z5V

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^  I have to point this out, just because I saw it in that article.  They're making the major comparison in that article between the 6mm ARC 108gr projectile, and the .308 WIN 178 ELD-X projectile. They're claiming 2600 fps on the 178 ELD-X through a 24" barrel:

Exceeds AR-10 308 Win. external and tactical terminal performance with 30% lighter system*

*6mm ARC Match 108-Gr. ELD: 24” BBL; .536 G1 @ 2750 FPS (STD Atmosphere)
308 Win 178-Gr. ELD-X: 24” BBL; .552 G1 @ 2600 FPS (STD Atmosphere)
(Data courtesy of Hornady)

They're not doing something right, with that projectile and load.  I'm pulling a true, chrono'd 2530 fps on my load, through a 18.5" barrel... 

Something isn't right with their numbers, if they're only getting another 70fps over my load, and they've got a 24" barrel, vs. my 18.5" barrel. 

So, not only does this thing have to do distance-battle with the 18" Grendel SPR, the 18" Valk SPR, now it has to fight with the Mk11, too.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

I like the plan brother. It wasn’t the rifle I had originally in mind to build yesterday, but I think it’s gonna turn out to be a bad Mofo. So far my original digging yesterday didn’t turn up many parts, but were also 5 days in to original release. 

According to the press release, like 15 companies have committed to supporting the caliber, so somewhere out there everybody is just hiding what they got. I know for sure Faxon and Ballistic Advantage are making barrels. 

The more I sit around and stew on this build, the more I like it. I’ve got that Nightforce scope just going to waste on that 700 project. Nothing wrong with the 700, it’s just not really exciting. Plus, when we did the high angle shoot last year, I discovered just how fukin miserable it makes everybody stuck in the small shooting hole with you. Blast is outrageous from that bastard, bare minimum it needs a flash hider not a brake on it. 

Anyway, I had thought about slamming the Nightforce on the LWRC REPR, but it really needs a LPVO on it, not a 5x18 or whatever that Nightforce is. Fuker will work beautifully on a DMR build though. 

Just absolutely diggin the idea of a LaRue build for you, that’s gonna be bad ass. I’d love to build mine as an MK12 style, but all that schitt is too pricey for me at the moment. I’m thinking 18 barrel like you already threw out, and some sort of full length rail, maybe Midwest Industries?

12 hours ago, DayWalker said:

I’d love to build mine as an MK12 style, but all that schitt is too pricey for me at the moment.

You can't deny the Complete Sexiness of a Mk12, I'm with you.   :thumbup::hail:

7 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

Maybe it's time to conduct another clandestine PSYOP, you and I. It's been a while...

You know I'm in.   :thumbup:  You need a barrel?...   :popcorn:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, Matt.Cross said:

Maybe it's time to conduct another clandestine PSYOP, you and I. It's been a while...

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

You know I'm in.   :thumbup:  You need a barrel?...   :popcorn:

Alright. I see what you fukers are doing. You're trying to psychologically twist me into building another rifle. You ain't fooling me.

You're thinking that this will be another "night vision" OP against me (which I STILL say that I came up with on my own). Fukers!

..............................................................................................................................DAMMIT! Now I'm thinking about another rifle build.

1 minute ago, Rsquared said:

Alright. I see what you fukers are doing. You're trying to psychologically twist me into building another rifle. You ain't fooling me.

WE DIDN'T EVEN MENTION YOU, BROTHER!!!   :laffs::banana:

^^^   You two...   The pressure IS ON!!!   I LOVE IT!!!   :lmao:

My Ballistic Advantage 18" Mk12 SPR-profile 6mm ARC barrel will be here in a week. 

I pulled it for about $60 less than it's being advertised for - it helps to know people...   :laffs::thumbup:  I'll have a second one coming in a week after that.  I'm just sayin'... 

No better barrel to test against the 18" SPR Grendel, with the Ballistic Advantage Mk12 profile barrel, and the 18" SPR .224 Valkyrie, with the Ballistic Advantage Mk12 SPR profile barrel.  Pit these 3 against the 18.5" Mk11 .308, with the old-skool Kreiger-Criterion Fulton Armory Match barrel, running my Hornady 178 ELD-X handloads that were brewed up JUST for that gun...   :popcorn:

This is heaven, men.  We get to see what all the hype is about, real, in person, right behind these guns - at 850 yards and more.   :hail:

Edited by 98Z5V

Just for shiits and giggles, we can lump some 5.56 into this test, too.  My 75gr Hornady BTHP handloads, through the Mk12 Mod 1 - with a what?  Ballistic Advantage 18" Mk12 profile barrel, of course. We'll just keep track of drop at 850 yards for a center-mass hit in the IPSC steel, for the comparo.  Long Range Day at the Fall Shoot is gonna be LOOONG... 

Bring sunscreen, and a balaclava or shemagh to cover your neck...   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, COBrien said:

I'm kicking around a 6mm ARC upper...

I stopped by the local jeweler/gun pusher's place last week (last-minute anniversary shopping...), and he asked me what I'd heard about the 6 ARC. He's a big proponent of the 6 CM, 6 PRC and, well, just about every 6mm wildcat there is. So I got to looking. And dammit...

I've been putting together a parts list for this upper (to drop onto the lower my Dissipator is built on, so FA receiver, FA LPK, MBT, LaRue APEG, and ODG A2 buttstock).

So far, the only barrel I've found is the "Brownell's Exclusive" Faxon HBAR in 14.5", 16", 18", or 20", and I'm leaning toward the 20" rifle gas. But I suppose the prudent thing to do would be to watch @98Z5V , wait, and see who else cranks out a barrel, maybe in a different profile. Hoping Criterion starts kicking out some Hybrid profile 6 ARC barrels.

Yeah so far barrels and parts are hard to find. Brownells had a few lengths of BA barrels in stock, they’re gone now. Without the bat cave phone number 98 clearly has, the rest of us are probably gonna have to wait a while for parts to start trickling in

12 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Yeah so far barrels and parts are hard to find. Brownells had a few lengths of BA barrels in stock, they’re gone now. Without the bat cave phone number 98 clearly has, the rest of us are probably gonna have to wait a while for parts to start trickling in

Probably more or less a matter of putting in a direct phone call to Ballistic Advantage, the folks there are good people and would likely love to help you into one of their barrels.

22 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

Probably more or less a matter of putting in a direct phone call to Ballistic Advantage, the folks there are good people and would likely love to help you into one of their barrels.

Now wait just a second Matthew, are you implying what I think you are? Are you saying I can use this phone in my hands to make phone calls? Actually speak to a person on the other end? How barbaric :laffs:

40 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Now wait just a second Matthew, are you implying what I think you are? Are you saying I can use this phone in my hands to make phone calls? Actually speak to a person on the other end? How barbaric :laffs:

You sir are a man of extreme acumen and uncanny discernment, I'll be keeping an eye on you! 

2 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Hmmmm i am really interested in how this would compair to a 6.5 grendel in energy on target also. 

I'll be able to give you the math on that, energy at distances, once I shoot this thing and get a real muzzle velocity number.  Everything after that is just math. 

5 hours ago, COBrien said:

But I suppose the prudent thing to do would be to watch @98Z5V , wait, and see who else cranks out a barrel, maybe in a different profile. Hoping Criterion starts kicking out some Hybrid profile 6 ARC barrels.

Gonna be Ballistic Advantage, 18" SPR-profile barrel, brother.  That's the only way I can accurately pit this thing against the 18 Grendel and 18 Valk, since they both have that barrel profile, from the same manufacturer.  I have my order confirmation, and I called today, just to make sure it's really an order, and not a "pre" or "back" order - it's real, and it's mine.  It just hasn't shipped yet.  I was told that I'd get it no later than next Thursday, the 19th. 

Wilson Combat is on board with the 6 ARC, from what I've found.  Just nothing listed on their website yet for it.  FWIW, there's no mention of it on BA's website yet, either.  When they did the 16" Grendel SPR barrel, I had that thing in-hand 5 weeks before they got it on the website.  I already had it built and zero'd and stretched to 500 yards, before it went public-for-sale. 

Figured I needed to give this 6 ARC the same amount of attention, just because @DayWalker called me out on it...   :bitchslap::lmao::banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

3 hours ago, DayWalker said:

The toughest thing is getting that barrel.  After that, just use a ToolCraft 6.5 Grendel BCG and either the E-Lander 6.5G 17-rd mags or the C-Products 6.5G 25-rd mags.  It really is just a Grendel bolt, and Grendel mags.  I haven't tested any other Grendel mags but the two that I listed, but I'll guarantee that they work - in a Grendel.  We'll see how this 6 ARC likes Grendel mags. 

6 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Man, that’s a pretty sweet friends hookup right there. $60 off is a solid deal

It helps if you review their product - really use it, beat it, find out it's badass - then tell the world.  So far, I'm the ONLY guy to leave a review on their 16" Grendel SPR barrel.

Oh, and when you're at SHOT, and Clint has kegs there in the booth at 3pm on Thursday - you show up and try to drink him out of beer, and shoot the shiit whilst doing it...   :banana:

Click this, and check the only review so far for that barrel.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-65-grendel-spr-mid-ss-premium-barrel.html

I'll make it easier:

92537501_BA16GrendelSPRReview.thumb.png.cf8c556813a1758a09a6dc56c0881933.png

^^^  When I bought that particular barrel - it was a phonecall.  I pulled that barrel for $165 charged to my card, WITH a pinned gas block...  I didn't even know what I paid for it until I read the invoice in the box, when it arrived.  They rock.  :hail:

Edited by 98Z5V

Well, as usual you make great points. I was joking with Matt about using the phone function on this here handheld device, but truthfully it’s something I never think about doing. Calling gun parts companies, why? Apparently I’ve been wrong all this time. $165 is a killer price for that setup, especially with the gas block already pinned. 

I’ve never bought BA products before, but running a couple of your rifles last year definitely made me believe in their products. Hearing they’re good dudes certainly doesn’t hurt either. The 2 barrels I’ve been looking at have been either the BA or a Faxon. I know Faxon makes nice stuff too, but their current 18inch 6mm barrel is a mid length, not rifle. I kind of what that rifle length gas for this DMR build, though mid length would certainly work. 

You talking about getting a LaRue upper and just swapping the barrel got me thinking. BA currently is selling an 18inch 6.5 Grendel upper with BCG for like $700. Since it’s my first order from them, they’ll immediately take $70 on that price. $630 for a complete Grendel upper with the 18SPR barrel you love so much, that’s a highly tempting purchase. Possibly get that and then swap in the 6mm barrel, see how we like it. Worst case dump the 6mm barrel and put the Grendel back in. Decisions decisions my dude, so many options.