• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

Where can I buy 6.5 Grendel followers?  

I don't think there's anybody just selling the followers.  For the mags, I look at what I need - always need that 30-rd body, and prone the 20-rd bodies are great.  For that, because that cartridge case is fatter, round count is lower.  I've only used what I know works, and the Alexander Arms or E-Lander 17-rd mags are flawless, and the C-Products 25-rd mags are flawless (the ones with the blue followers).  :thumbup:

34 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

@98Z5V here ya go brother

That's badass - completely. 5.7 mils at 800 yards is fucking amazing.  :thumbup:   I'm really looking forward to this one, and coming up with my own handloads. 

There's a pretty big jump in the BCs on the Hornady projectiles, looking at the 103 ELD-X, 105 BTHP and the 108 ELD-M.  Click it to make it bigger.

1832617784_Hornady243projos.thumb.png.6989a553b7074ec128684bdc2f1f50e0.png

10 minutes ago, Radioactive said:

I wish I could run 108s outta my 243 ackley bolt gun

I don't think I'll be able to run them out of my new-ish .243 Win Rem 783 bolt gun - but I'm gonna try.  I think I'll end up with two separate loads here, one for each gun.  I'll keep it updated in this thread, though.  I think that 90 GMX is gonna work out pretty well in the bolt gun. 

That reference to the followers was from an article about an effective magazine for the 6mm ARC.  I finally caught up to an article that wasn't fascinated with the round. That's 10 pro,  and 1 con for the 6mm ARC.  Any writer worth his weight and wants to continue in the gun writing field,  had better not totally crush a new offering,  unless of course something dangerous is afoot.  Personally I like the look of the cartridge.  Call me Ishmael,  yes I'm looking for that do all cartridge also,  the great white whale of a bullet and casing that takes gopher and Elk,  stays supersonic past a thousand and comes in at .50 a round commercial.  I'm old enough to remember Tubb sneaking in a 6mm round and championing a switch from the usual at Camp Perry when it was like top secret.  Yep,  sometimes it is the arrow and not always the Indian.  All in all this leaves me at the point of wondering which magazine would best suit the 6mm ARC?  That secret DoD group that bought into the round which mag are they employing?  I've already joined the wait list for a barrel and have also committed to a complete upper in the 6mm ARC,  both of which are being manufactured or shipped at this time.  Just sayin' my piece out loud because I have skin in the game,  and when you pay the piper you gets to dance.  " He beckons. "

Grendel mags, brother, Grendel mags.  The case on this thing is damn near identical to the Grendel cartridge. 

10 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

Call me Ishmael,  yes I'm looking for that do all cartridge also,  the great white whale of a bullet and casing that takes gopher and Elk,  stays supersonic past a thousand and comes in at .50 a round commercial.

We'll see how this all shakes out, but if I were to advise you on that perfect do-all cartridge - prior to this one, the 6 ARC - I'd HANDS DOWN tell you that you need a 6.5 Grendel.  HANDS DOWN.  That IS the most efficient cartridge that's ever, ever been developed for the AR15-based small-frame AR platform.  HANDS.  DOWN.

Now, this 6 ARC... if it blows a Grendel away, then EYE will be blown away...  (Emphasis on the word, not the spelling...)  I'm taking this jump because I think it can compete - and maybe beat - the 6.5 Grendel.  After all, it's a 6mm Grendel we're talking about here, with the same long, slim, skinny projectiles...  That's what the ballistic coefficient is all about, when - WHEN - it's got the sectional density behind it to back it all up.  :thumbup:

I pulled this from the 6.5 Grendel forum. 

The post is by the administrator.

"Is your primary use hunting? The 6.5 Grendel is an AR15 hunting cartridge with long-range target capability.

Is your primary use target shooting? The 6mmARC is an AR15 long-range target cartridge with hunting capability.

For long-range target shooting, 6mm bullets give you better BC for the same-weight 6.5 bullets, or same BC in lighter weight bullets. This means less recoil and more velocity — all wins for target shooting. Same argument PRS shooters will make in favor of the 6mm Creedmoor vs 6.5 Creedmoor.

Huge plus, in my mind, for 6.5 Grendel is Wolf steel-case. I got no problem shooting it even in my original cut-rifled Satern barrel cuz of the conclusions of the Lucky Gunner tests (don't go nuts with mag dumping and you'll be fine!).

I think I'd boil my argument down to this: 65G has heavier bullet mass for more smack on big game. 6mmARC has better external ballistics with even less recoil than 65G.

If you already have one you don't NEED the other. But what do you WANT?"

Theres a 13 page thread over there about the 6mmARC

2 hours ago, dpete said:

I pulled this from the 6.5 Grendel forum. 

If you already have one you don't NEED the other. But what do you WANT?"

Theres a 13 page thread over there about the 6mmARC

They are the absolute finest source of deep Grendel knowledge out there.  I'm gonna go check out that 6ARC thread.  :thumbup:

The LaRue lower hasn't shipped yet, but I ordered it on Friday night.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.  The barrel is enroute, still with a Friday, 19 June delivery guess, according to tracking.  I'm starting to get a little antsy, here. 

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

The LaRue lower hasn't shipped yet, but I ordered it on Friday night.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.  The barrel is enroute, still with a Friday, 19 June delivery guess, according to tracking.  I'm starting to get a little antsy, here. 

Oh I bet you are, as much as we’ve been talking about these fukers lately. I myself am anxious to  get building something, though trying to pace myself for cash reasons. 

I ordered a stripped upper from BCM earlier for this build. It’s from their demo/scratched category, $59 including the port cover and forward assist in the box. Can’t beat that price, and who cares about scratches? This thing is gonna get thrown around the desert. 

Been eyeballing rails all day, trying to decide what way to take this bastard. 2 quad rails, a BCM and the LaRue. The Geissele MK13, which is their Mlok with 1913 sections on the end. Or, the King Swinging Dick himself, that damn PRI MK12 bastard. Honestly I think I’ll like it no matter which route, the main question is gonna be total cost at the end. 

Barrels are still all but no existent on the internet  as of yet, and I’ve been too lazy to call about one. More than likely I’m gonna do the same as you, BA SPR 18in. Haven’t completely ruled out a Faxon offering as of yet though, and there is the question of would we want mine to be a 20” to compare to your 18”. 

27 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Oh I bet you are, as much as we’ve been talking about these fukers lately. I myself am anxious to  get building something, though trying to pace myself for cash reasons. 

I ordered a stripped upper from BCM earlier for this build. It’s from their demo/scratched category, $59 including the port cover and forward assist in the box. Can’t beat that price, and who cares about scratches? This thing is gonna get thrown around the desert. 

Been eyeballing rails all day, trying to decide what way to take this bastard. 2 quad rails, a BCM and the LaRue. The Geissele MK13, which is their Mlok with 1913 sections on the end. Or, the King Swinging Dick himself, that damn PRI MK12 bastard. Honestly I think I’ll like it no matter which route, the main question is gonna be total cost at the end. 

Barrels are still all but no existent on the internet  as of yet, and I’ve been too lazy to call about one. More than likely I’m gonna do the same as you, BA SPR 18in. Haven’t completely ruled out a Faxon offering as of yet though, and there is the question of would we want mine to be a 20” to compare to your 18”. 

Awesome post!   :hail: I can't do any other barrel besides the BA Mk12 SPR profile.  I just can't. 20" is just too much gun, and 18" moves so much better.  Now, that's the personal reasons.  For testing reasons, it just can't be any other barrel - because all the others are wearing that same barrel, in whatever-caliber, and it needs to be an honest comparison.  There's no other way for me to do it. I can't run the 6.5G BA Mk12, .224Valk BA Mk12, toss in the 5.56 BA Mk12 for shiits and giggles - then try to fight that Kreiger-Criterion old-skool Fulton Armory 18.5" .308 Win gun (the Mk11)...   with a 20" barrel by someone else.  I'm stuck with that BA Mk12 barrel, if for nothing else, than comparison purposes.  It's my favorite personal choice for a barrel anyway, so that's a plus...  :laffs:   It's damn sure gonna be apples-to-apples, and oranges-to-oranges, that way.  The truth lies in the efficiency of the cartridge, and all the claimed ballistic coefficients (and sectional densities). True test... 

IF...  IF you decide to move on this one and do the PRI rail...   I will buy it, and get your $$$ down on it.  Don't spend more than you have to, here.  IMHFO...  this 6 ARC is gonna deliver.  I don't think you'd HATE a Mk12 Mod 0 6 ARC.  If, for whatever reason you DO hate it...  you already have the necessary parts to run that 5.56 Mk12 Mod 0 in the future - you're not wasting money here.  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

Can’t beat that price, and who cares about scratches? This thing is gonna get thrown around the desert. 

This, my brother, was my favorite take-away from what you said.  By far.  Run it hard, it's not a fuckin' Safe Queen.  Beat it's ass, and it will deliver.   You NAILED that.  :thumbup:

I don’t believe in safe queens. Guns are tools, they’re meant to be run. If it breaks because you aren’t babying it, you’ve got a piece of $hit. @Rsquared can verify I once literally threw my AK at the ground cause it was jamming and pissing me off, who knew even they don’t like being completely bone dry :lmao: . Put a few drops of oil in that Romanian born bitch and we were able to reconcile a different day haha. The only exception I make to that rule is historical stuff. I’ve got a couple ww2 guns I wouldn’t beat on, but I for sure still shoot them. 

14 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

I don’t believe in safe queens. Guns are tools, they’re meant to be run. If it breaks because you aren’t babying it, you’ve got a piece of $hit.

I'm in that boat - FUK THAT THING UP, and beat the living shiit out of it.  "Mongo SMASH!!!" kinda shiit. Kinda treat them like full-on GREG would.  CRUSH!!!  :lmao:

14 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

I’ve got a couple ww2 guns I wouldn’t beat on, but I for sure still shoot them. 

I'm in THAT boat, too.  My M1 Carbine and the Springfield M1903A4, and that sweet 8mm Mauser...  are to be shot.  In a past life, maybe they were for smashing heads open, too, but now...  they get babied, and just shot, and taken care of.  :thumbup:

I read the thirteen pages as if it were dialog from a back porch conversation.  Terrific read and it's based on pre and post announcement from Hornady.  June 3rd was the announcement from Hornady but some folks had inside info as well as many of the manufacturers.  It was a well kept secret as it turns out.  I've ordered a barrel from Brownells and an upper from Odin,  the clock is ticking.  One company has the complete rifle for sale as of now,  our friend doesn't care for this brand so I won't mention the name,  but soon there will be others.  Barrett has a gov contract for some spec-op unit,  not for us.  

On 6/14/2020 at 9:55 PM, DayWalker said:

@Rsquared can verify I once literally threw my AK at the ground cause it was jamming and pissing me off, who knew even they don’t like being completely bone dry :lmao: .

Now THAT was some funny $hit at the range that day. You should have seen the looks on some of the other peoples faces as he slammed that $hit down. :lmao:

BUT......him and I aren't known for baby-ing any of our $hit. (not counting the Garands, 03's, 98K's, Enfields......aka historical military stuff).

It's made to RUN.

My barrel made it to Phoenix today, at 11:26pm.  I don't understand how it's gonna take until Friday tomove it another 45-ish miles south, to me.  Is what it is.  If it comes in early, I'll be happy.  At this point in the build, it's the most important part, but it's still just a fancy club, or long tent stake, until I can get the rest of the stuff moving.  The LaRue lower receiver still hasn't shipped yet, but I knew that going into it.  You order one, you might get lucky right when then just finished a fresh batch, and filled backorders - or, you might be ordering into one of those backorder lists...  It'll get here, when it gets here.  I'm thinking Athlon Ares BTR 2.5~15 scope on this one.  We'll see.

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

The LaRue lower receiver still hasn't shipped yet, but I knew that going into it.  You order one, you might get lucky right when then just finished a fresh batch, and filled backorders - or, you might be ordering into one of those backorder lists...  It'll get here, when it gets here. 

I really want one of those LaRue lowers. :drool:

My parts roamed Illinois for a few days. Even went to the same sorting facility twice. Who knows when I’ll actually get them. 

cant wait to see the 6mm buildoffs. I’ll wait til you’re done before I decide 6.5 or 6. 

1E7BAD1B-7F7B-4F21-820A-1803A2A5C821.png