• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's 6mm ARC

98Z5V

Alright gentlemen, I think I've decided what my 6mm build is gonna look like. I'm digging the idea of an MK12 build, but I don't think I can justify the investment right now on a Mod0, but a Mod1 on the other hand...

Got that BCM stripped upper on the way, shipped this morning, that is a nice starting point. Now I need a quad rail, and I'm currently mulling over two of them BCM QRF 12"quad https://www.opticsplanet.com/bravo-qrf12556blk-bcmgunfighter-ar-15-quad-rail-12-6061-t6-aluminum-black-hard.html or the LaRue 12 Quad https://www.larue.com/products/larue-quad-rail-handguard/. @98Z5V I know you have the LaRue on your MK12 Mod1, what are your thoughts on this? BCM certainly makes nice stuff, and it is slightly less expensive than the LaRue, though not by much. Not sure which would look the part better for a Mod1.

Next up is barrel, I've got some time on that one since nobody is really showing any in stock yet, but I'm heavily leaning towards the BA 18" SPR that someone here loves to death :thumbup:.

The lower is gonna be a Spikes Tactical lower I've had sitting in the safe since last year. I'm thinking I'm gonna keep this one kind of traditional, Fixed A2 stock. As much as I try and fight it, I always like the look of a fixed stock. Also that keeps it more in line with the original Mod1s deployed by SF and the Marines. This would be a nice time to work in a silly nice Geissele trigger, but I've had such good luck so far with the LaRue triggers, I might stick to those and save the money. I'm certainly open to a A5 buffer setup and a SopMod or something, but for now I'm planning fixed stock.

Thankfully glass is easy for this one at the moment, got a Nightforce 5-18 going to waste on a 700 build I hardly shoot. That bastard will be fukin sweet on this! :banana:

Let me know what y'all think, got any ideas, I'm certainly open to suggestion. Not gonna make any promises the lower will be complete by Fall, upper is the priority right now. Worst case, this upper will work nice on my Daniels M4 lower with a LaRue trigger in it.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LaRue 12" rail, brother.  Hands down.  There were actually some of the SF guy that used LaRue uppers over there.  They'd buy them on their own, slap them on their M4A1 lowers, and run with scissors.  The LaRue was definitely - in some circles - better than that KAC rail that was on the original Mod 1s.  Can't tell a Clone Builder that, or a Purist, though -you know, those same guys that insist that you MUST use a Swan Sleeve, yada yada yada... 

IMHO, if you want it - the only thing better-for-the-money that you can put in this for a trigger - Again, LaRue kick, that MBT-2S is badass for rifles like this, and you just cannot beat that price.  The only other trigger that's gonna smoke it - and you'll pay - is a Geissele Hi-Speed National Match.  That went into my Mod 0, and it went into my 18" Grendel SPR.  And, it went into @Matt.Cross' Grendel Mod 1.  SAH-WEET TRIGGER!!! 

I'd save that G Hi-Speed NM for your Mod 0, down the road.  Just run the MBT-2S in this one.  It won't let you down.  Wait 'til this Fall, and shoot my G triggers more...  :thumbup:

15 hours ago, Radioactive said:

I really want one of those LaRue lowers. :drool:

This whole thing has me somewhat excited.  It'll end up looking like this, after I paint the shiit out of it:

6-5_grendel_34_0-ax99.jpg

Mark LaRue makes some damn nice, hard-as-woodpecker-lips equipment - but it's sexy AF, too...  

Parts-mlok-8139b.jpg

UUK_MLOK-50417.JPG

UUK_MLOK_3-16d79.JPG

UUK_MLOK_5-10dd4.JPG

UUK_MLOK_6-b29f0.JPG

Barrel update - it's back to Thursday, again...   :thumbup:  Time to start picking up some of that Hornady Match ammo and Black ammo...  

1410997095-6mm-ARC-Ammunition---beauty-s

There you go, between the two of you LaRue Rail it is. I was already leaning that way, but wanted to confirm. I love that LaRue MBT-2S I run in that Daniels, that is an easy option for any build moving forward. That full LaRue rifle is gonna be a sexy mofo, I can't wait to see how it turns out :thumbup:

Edited by DayWalker

5 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

There you go, between the two of you LaRue it is. I was already leaning that way, but wanted to confirm. I love that LaRue MBT-2S I run in that Daniels, that is an easy option for any build moving forward. That full LaRue rifle is gonna be a sexy mofo, I can't wait to see how it turns out :thumbup:

Good Call, brother - you're gonna end up real close to this when you're done...  If you layed my Mod 1 5.56 gun down, and put Matt's Mod 1 Grendel next to it, and walked away...   you'd get confused as to which one is which, when you walked back to them...  

P1050859.JPG.344deadefa0975c7b6c76aac89173ba9.JPG

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2017_09/P1050860.JPG.bd5b2af02c7843118dc78456e0a68529.JPG

10 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

What kind of A2 stock is that with a QD mount built in? I like A2 stocks, but I prefer the simplicity of QD mounts for slings, I've never seen one of those before. That would be exactly what I want right there

That's a regular old A2 stock, and I put a Noveske Flush Cup in it.  Hat Tip to @blue109 on that wonderful piece of kit.  I put one on my Mk11, too.

P1080374.JPG.b3fcb1e36e714b7a30213d627c876002.JPG

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2019_12/P1080376.JPG.0b5f6dc5269ddba5654b15f15fb8db03.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Yeah, Matt - thanks for that link!  You know, the information wasn't that important, but that link is MINT, brother!... 

Hey, @DayWalker...    :thefinger:

😁 thought you’d like that :hornet:. All joking aside I appreciate the heads up 98, I really like that setup. The QD cups are just so much easier than any standard sling setup

I just found a pile of money that I didn't know that I really had...   SO...   this 6 ARC is gonna progress faster than I thought.  I think I'll sign up for a Long-Distance Shooting School, too - just to see what they're doing.  More details on that later.  Class date, early August.

@Matt.Cross might have a serious ass-whippin' coming, by the time we get to the Fall Shoot...   :bat::banana::lmao: 

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I just found a pile of money that I didn't know that I really had...   SO...   this 6 ARC is gonna progress faster than I thought.  I think I'll sign up for a Long-Distance Shooting School, too - just to see what they're doing.  More details on that later.  Class date, early August.

@Matt.Cross might have a serious ass-whippin' coming, by the time we get to the Fall Shoot...   :bat::banana::lmao: 

You know better than to threaten me with a good time! Let's do this!

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Oh $hit, already thinking about getting that LaRue rifle kit moving towards your place? As for the shooting school, do you think they’ll explain how “meal” dots work? Or just MOA?

Just now, Matt.Cross said:

You know better than to threaten me with a good time! Let's do this!

You willing to travel to Utah in early August, brother?...   Just a weekend...   :popcorn:  Set you back about $400, course fee...   Working on the logistics right now...

3 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Oh $hit, already thinking about getting that LaRue rifle kit moving towards your place? As for the shooting school, do you think they’ll explain how “meal” dots work? Or just MOA?

If they don't understand the Meals, then I'll break it down for them...   I can't wait to see what they teach for wind reading, and that "OH SHIIIIT!!!" moment when the winds go above 12 mph, and your mirage disappears...  When that happens, ya gotta do SOMETHING, right?...  

That LaRue upper set will be moving here by tomorrow or the next day.  With the mount and the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5~15 scope.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

If "all others" can't tell already - this thread just isn't about a gun build.  THIS RIGHT HERE has magically morphed into a Giant Pile of SHIIT TALKING...   :lmao::banana::thumbup:

So, let's not disappoint, alright?...  Bring it, when you wanna bring it...   :popcorn:

Edited by 98Z5V

Just now, 98Z5V said:

If "all others" can't tell already - this thread just isn't about a gun build.  THIS RIGHT HERE has magically morphed into a Giant Pile of SHIIT TALKING...   :lmao::banana::thumbup:

:lmao:

It happened quick too man. I couldn’t help but poke at Matt and his “meals” after jabbing at you. Gotta keep the head on a swivel, it’s a target rich environment 

1 minute ago, DayWalker said:

:lmao:

It happened quick too man. I couldn’t help but poke at Matt and his “meals” after jabbing at you. Gotta keep the head on a swivel, it’s a target rich environment 

Yeah, it is...  and I'm watching YOU, too...    :thumbup::banana:

If you don't bring a badass 6 ARC to the Fall Shoot, then you're fuckin' FIRED...   :bitchslap:

Edited by 98Z5V

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Yeah, it is...  and I'm watching YOU, too...    :thumbup::banana:

If you don't bring a badass 6 ARC to the Fall Shoot, then you're fuckin' FIRED...   :bitchslap:

Oh I plan to brother. I’ve just got to figure out the exact parts buying sequence, but it’s gonna happen. Now that I’ve settled on the mod1, it’s just a matter of budgeting. I’ll bring the subgun again this fall too, use it as a distraction if need be :banana:

2 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Oh I plan to brother. I’ve just got to figure out the exact parts buying sequence, but it’s gonna happen. Now that I’ve settled on the mod1, it’s just a matter of budgeting. I’ll bring the subgun again this fall too, use it as a distraction if need be :banana:

There are no "distractions" for you, my man.  YOU are the one that The Rule was emplaced on.  No pressure, though...  You have no choice but to perform, here...   :popcorn:

I'm just over here making SURE that my side of this shiit is handled...   :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

It's pretty gracious of everyone here that you were given until the Fall Shoot to get your invocation of The Rule emplaced upon you - it usually happens much, MUCH faster.  The reprieve should be a blessing, but it better not be an excuse for not getting it done.  Eyes are watching...   :lmao:

Just now, 98Z5V said:

It's pretty gracious of everyone here that you were given until the Fall Shoot to get your invocation of The Rule emplaced upon you - it usually happens much, MUCH faster.  The reprieve should be a blessing, but it better not be an excuse for not getting it done.  Eyes are watching...   :lmao:

It’s savage, and I love it :thumbup:. Having just learned about The Rule a very short time ago, I appreciate the kind grace period y’all placed on me. I promise to uphold the laws of the rule, and will have a functioning 6mm Arc as soon as possible. The kids better hope they like Ramen, cause obviously an MK12 build is important shitt. They need to understand what to prioritize in life :lmao:.

Right now I’m planning on getting the barrel and rail hopefully next month, which only would leave the BCG for a functioning rifle. I’ve got my buddy here all fired up for this build too, he’s chomping at the bit hard also. Wants me to get this fuker built so we can go test run it somewhere.