• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's 6mm ARC

98Z5V

That's exactly what I'm doing - LaRue 6.5G Ultimate Upper kit, 18" barrel.  It's $792, and I can pick "unassembled" when I order, so I don't have to take it apart when it gets here...  :lmao:  It's in my cart right now.

LaRue now sells their 5.56 lowers to anyone, for $199.  The .308 lowers are $299.  So, for $991 (5.56 lower), I could have a complete LaRue 18" 6.5 Grendel rifle - and swap out the barrel.  That's a no-brainer for a badass gun.  :thumbup:

I'll either donate/auction that barrel here, when the time comes, or I'll put that barrel in my 18" 6.5 "Light(er) Hunter", and donate the Faxon barrel that's currently in that gun. 

Win for me, win for everyone.  

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

Tacticalshit.com sent me an email. They have those 6arc barrels for sale.

I'm seeing the CMMG barrels there, but nothing else right now.  It's some slim pickins right now - haven't seen an interest in a new cartridge like this in a long time.  It's crazy. 

The supply and demand for ALL GUNS right now is pretty crazy...

Got my tracking number on my barrel today.  Arrives 18 June by end of day, unless FedEx makes it happen sooner.  It's in their hands now.

This little hooker arrives next week, so I need to get on that LaRue 5.56 Lower order pretty quick - that's gonna be the long-wait piece in this puzzle, I think.

This is the Grendel barrel pic, but you get the idea - it's just like the Grendel, 5.56 and .224 Valk barrels.

18in_6.5_grendel_hanson_1_1.jpg

This is next.  GAWD DAYUM, THIS THING IS SEXY!!!   :drool::hump:

d2d9207fecd1ba931f40d69b8c7308d7.jpg

And, I'm gonna FDE Cerakote the FUK out of this thing. 

Edited by 98Z5V

On 6/8/2020 at 7:36 AM, DayWalker said:

Just absolutely diggin the idea of a LaRue build for you, that’s gonna be bad ass. I’d love to build mine as an MK12 style, but all that schitt is too pricey for me at the moment. I’m thinking 18 barrel like you already threw out, and some sort of full length rail, maybe Midwest Industries?

Just DO IT, brother.  There isn't an 18" AR on the planet that is as Sexy as a Mk12.  Nor as efficient.    If the Mk12 is what you're after, then just don't be disappointed about something else.

904063302_Mk12Madness.JPG.ed6ccfbaf99faaae5d1376d25b5c3969.JPG

20191011_150648-1.jpg.0982116bb8421c5063a1db35e153d9e4.jpg

Just ask @Matt.Cross - you've already been given an invite into his downward freefall (with thrust rockets attached) into his 6.5 Grendel Mk12 Mod 1 progression. 

Don't let yourself down.  Mk12 this fucker.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

9 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Just ask @Matt.Cross - you've already been given an invite into his downward freefall (with thrust rockets attached) into his 6.5 Grendel Mk12 Mod 1 progression. 

God, Eugene Stoner, and John Moses Browning got together to discuss how to to make the AR platform realize it's ultimate potential: the Mk12 Mod 1 was the result. Tom and I got together to see how we could improve on their success and the Mod 1 Grendel was the outcome.

If you fail to build a Mod 1 in 6mm ARC, you'll be letting down God, JMB, Eugene Stoner, Tom, myself, your immediate family, and everyone on this forum. That would be almost impossible to live with...

Do the right thing here @DayWalker , but no pressure or anything like that....

😇

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Just DO IT, brother.  There isn't an 18" AR on the planet that is as Sexy as a Mk12.  Nor as efficient.    If the Mk12 is what you're after, then just don't be disappointed about something else.

904063302_Mk12Madness.JPG.ed6ccfbaf99faaae5d1376d25b5c3969.JPG

20191011_150648-1.jpg.0982116bb8421c5063a1db35e153d9e4.jpg

Don't let yourself down.  Mk12 this fucker.  :thumbup:

They are sexy - that’s a fact. Isn’t parts sourcing an exercise in frustration?

7 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

God, Eugene Stoner, and John Moses Browning got together to discuss how to to make the AR platform realize it's ultimate potential: the Mk12 Mod 1 was the result. Tom and I got together to see how we could improve on their success and the Mod 1 Grendel was the outcome.

If you fail to build a Mod 1 in 6mm ARC, you'll be letting down God, JMB, Eugene Stoner, Tom, myself, your immediate family, and everyone on this forum. That would be almost impossible to live with...

Do the right thing here @DayWalker , but no pressure or anything like that....

😇

Now who on earth would let down these beings?  Not I,  so I started an investigation on parts gathering.  I may not be a good builder but boy o boy can I gather !!!

Edited by RedRiverII

10 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Man, I hate how spot on that whole speech is. Obviously no pressure at all. None whatsoever. :laffs:

15 hours ago, DNP said:

PRI Handguards on sale 25% off on DVOR.  FYI. 

THAT is where the sale is!  If he commits to a Mod 0, I'll buy him that handguard that he needs right now.  Like, RIGHT NOW.  I'll store it for him until it's time.

@DayWalker - think about it.  Mod 0 or Mod 1.  Hit the other thread for the details on the money output.  I can't beat that 25% off, not daily. 

The only thing DVOR has right now is the Gen III Natural carbon fiber, at $265.

https://www.dvor.com/precision-reflex-gen-iii-ar-15-m16-round-free-float-rifle-length-forearm.html

PRI%2005_073_03%20Natural-2__74589.15716

If we're gonna paint this thing, then it just doesn't matter.  Otherwise, you need to "like" that look of the carbon fiber.  I'll buy this fucker right now, and hold it until you're ready.   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

THAT is where the sale is!  If he commits to a Mod 0, I'll buy him that handguard that he needs right now.  Like, RIGHT NOW.  I'll store it for him until it's time.

@DayWalker - think about it.  Mod 0 or Mod 1.  Hit the other thread for the details on the money output.  I can't beat that 25% off, not daily. 

Yeah I gotta put some thought into that. Love that mod 0 big time, but it’s a lot of money by the time I buy all the other stuff you listed. 

3 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Yeah I gotta put some thought into that. Love that mod 0 big time, but it’s a lot of money by the time I buy all the other stuff you listed. 

If the Mod 0 has your heart - then that's where you need to go.  You will LOVE IT, every single time you pull the trigger.  If you compromise on the Mod 1, when it's not really what you wanted, you'll wish you'da done it different.

That is EXACTLY why I built a Mod 0 first.  :thumbup:  Going with a Mod 1 after that was a cakewalk...  :laffs:

I STILL have to finish my Grendel Mod H, with some proper parts.  It sucks to still need to do that, but I need to.  It's another few hundo that I need to put into that thing to make it right - because it's designed around a Gen III carbon forearm.  It'll never be "right" without the other stuff.

Edited by 98Z5V

Just now, 98Z5V said:

If the Mod 0 has your heart - then that's where you need to go.  You will LOVE IT, every single time you pull the trigger.  If you compromise on the Mod 1, when it's not really what you wanted, you'll wish you'da done it different.

That is EXACTLY why I built a Mod 0 first.  :thumbup:  Going with a Mod 1 after that was a cakewalk...  :laffs:

Well ideally I’d like to build both eventually. I’ve been in love with those rifles forever, and then playing with yours last year sealed the deal. I’m debating building the 6mm as possibly the mod 1, then slowly piecing together a mod 0 in 5.56. Honestly I’m a little nervous to spend mod 0 money on the 6mm build, when we don’t even know how much we’ll all like it. I’ll love a 5.56 mod 0 forever. 

It all comes down to me still being unsure of the direction with the 6mm. 

6 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Well ideally I’d like to build both eventually. I’ve been in love with those rifles forever, and then playing with yours last year sealed the deal. I’m debating building the 6mm as possibly the mod 1, then slowly piecing together a mod 0 in 5.56. Honestly I’m a little nervous to spend mod 0 money on the 6mm build, when we don’t even know how much we’ll all like it. I’ll love a 5.56 mod 0 forever. 

It all comes down to me still being unsure of the direction with the 6mm. 

Solid, sound logic, right there - well done throughout that thought process.  That's exactly what I'd do, too.  On that damn Valkyrie, I just built that thing with nice parts, and made it "SPR-ish" to make it a good foundation.  I won't say I hate it, and I have uses for it, but it certainly wasn't the Grendel-Killer that the gun-media hyped it up to be.  I'll keep it and won't sell it, and I'll shoot it and fuk some coyotes up with it.  I'm glad I built it like I did, and didn't sink Mod 1 or (:embarrassed:) Mod 0 money into it.

I'll have the lowdown on this 6 ARC before summer is over.  It'll be a few months for me, too.  Right now, the barrel (THE barrel) is a done deal, if FedEx can actually pull this off, and I need to get that lower done TONIGHT.  After that, it's easy street for this one. 

Who would have ever thought it's cheaper to have a LaRue rifle?...   Fuckin' Mk12s ain't cheap...  

@DayWalker, not to add any pressure to you, on that future Mk12 Mod 0 build, and I'm not sure if you noticed it or not...   but my Mod 0 was built on Noveske receivers.  I'm just sayin'...  If you're gonna build a Mod 0, don't hold anything back...   :thumbup::hail:

That Valk is exactly what I’m thinking about right now. I was hot for that late summer last year. Was really tempted to build one, seemed like a really sweet round on paper. Funds never materialized for that one before the fall shoot, and I’m kind of happy it didn’t. We played with them out there, and I certainly liked the caliber. Guns were sweet, round shot well, but signs started showing it wasn’t better than Grendel. On top of that, Grendel ammo is way easier to find around. 

I have no issue being a guinea pig for 6mm, I’m enjoying the random thoughts were all having on build projects. I just don’t want to dump a $hitload of cash into it then have it be ho hum. 
At least a really nice LaRue rail isn’t stupid expensive like you said, it’s a high quality rail, and you’re done with rail parts after that. Not immediately dumping another $400 or so on extra mod 0 parts.

I'm way more hopeful on this 6 ARC - it's just a necked down Grendel, and Grendel is fuckin' KICKASS...   I think this 6 ARC is gonna be good, and that's why I'm taking the plunge on the LaRue hardware all the way.  If you're gonna have a LaRue rifle, it BETTER be a badass...  I think this is gonna play out very, very well, in distance, accuracy, all that.  I think this cartridge really has it. 

And...  you succeeded.  I'm the fucking guinea pig here...   :laffs::thefinger:

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

And...  you succeeded.  I'm the fucking guinea pig here...   :laffs::thefinger:

:laffs:That’s true. Somehow I’m the one who had “the rule” invoked and yet you already have parts on order. You’re a good sport my brother, taking the plunge with me on this. 

I agree with what you said too, all signs point to this being a sweet round. I’ll be interested to see how well it catches on, especially knowing someone out there in the DOD blanket is actively running it. 

3 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

especially knowing someone out there in the DOD blanket is actively running it. 

That's what sealed it for me, and just "make this one very nice from the get-go."  There's only three possible DOD entities that this can possibly be, because those are the only three with that kind of pull.  This round happened fast, and there are very few places with that kind of "rapid-acquisition" horsepower.