Noreen Upper/Lower

Yankee Hill Machine Gas Block - Low Profile

Odin Works Rifle Length Gas Tube

Ballistic Advantage Modern Series .308 Rifle Barrel - 20"

Magpul MOE Stock

Brownells BRN-10 Retro BCG

VG6 Epsilon Muzzle Brake

Aero Precision M5 .308 Rifle Buffer Kit

I have put about 30 rounds through it and am consistently seeing classical symptoms of short stroking.  I am using different sized magazines - 10 round, 20 round and 25 round Magpul Gen 3.  So far, have tried 147 gr and 180 gr cartridges with same results.  The bolt does not lock back after the last round is fired.  Brass is ejecting around 3 o'clock for 147 gr and around 5 o'clock for 180 gr.  Put a few rounds in a magazine, and the first shot is fine; brass ejects and next round is chambered.  However, can't fire that next round because the bolt has not gone all the way forward - have to eject that round, manually lock the bolt back and then release bolt to properly chamber a new round.  This is a standard gas block (not adjustable), so I am thinking the problem is not under gassing.  The only thing I can think of is that the Aero Precision buffer spring is way too stiff.  Anybody else have this problem with similar build?  Any advice? Further trouble shooting?

Edited by NealeJW
Missing word

My first thought would be to make sure it is well lubed and shoot it some more before making any big changes.  30 rounds is not enough to break it in enough to determine if there is a problem.

5 hours ago, NealeJW said:

Aero Precision M5 .308 Rifle Buffer Kit

16 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

The buffer on the aero set is too light. Should be about 5.5oz bet yours isn't over 3.6 oz. Also need a stronger spring. The bolt is traveling to fast.

It looks like he has a rifle buffer system  Most places don't screw up rifle buffer systems.  It wouldn't hurt to weigh the buffer though.

The recoil spring is gonna be fine, but if you're worried about it, put in a genuine Armalite EA-1095 spring. 

What's your gas port diameter, what's the protrusion of the gas tube into the upper receiver?  <<<Pic of this one.   How wet was it when you shot it?  Almost dripping, with lube, or not?

30 rounds isn't anywhere near enough to break one of these big bastards in...

Edited by 98Z5V

2 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

I'm tempted to think this is going to be a lube problem, just not enough slippery stuff to make all the action happen mo' betta.

That, plus carbon fouling, which will seal the gas block to the barrel, and gas tube to the gas block.  :thumbup:

It needs shot more, with heavy lube.

2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

My first thought would be to make sure it is well lubed and shoot it some more before making any big changes.  30 rounds is not enough to break it in enough to determine if there is a problem.

It looks like he has a rifle buffer system  Most places don't screw up rifle buffer systems.  It wouldn't hurt to weigh the buffer though.

My bad. My mind stopped at MOE stock and automatically thinks carbine.

before this thread goes south welcome from Idaho grab yourself a quart of Mobile one synthetic oil 30 wt. and get a shallow tray and soak your BCG in it for a couple of weeks shoot then clean then re soak the BCG after a few weeks the metal will be permeated with the synthetic oil  will stay slick .... and yes lube her like you mean it ...