• Visit Sportsmans Guide

10mmAuto AR

MikedaddyH

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MikedaddyH said:

This build will be my second attempt. The first one crashed and burned.

Still gathering parts. Here is what I have:

New Frontier lower AR10/45 which takes Glock mags.

KMT PCC billet upper recever

AR 6.8spc BFG

Hope it works. I wanted a 10 mm but wasn’t willing to take on the probs getting it to run. I haven’t read one review that convinced me. I would also really like a lever gun in 10mm but not to the tune of a couple grand for the total custom action required. Instead I’ll just be patient with my Springfield long slide trp (that I can’t find a holster for). I’ll make one myself eventually when my other project calm down.

Edited by Radioactive

On 8/31/2020 at 10:56 PM, 98Z5V said:

I'm out.  Not shooting it.  I've shot your fukin' 10mm "warm" loads through a handgun.  I'm not shooting this thing and cutting off my right shoulder.  I'm just sayin'...

I wanna see YOU shoot this thing first...   🤪

Yes.

On 8/31/2020 at 11:03 PM, Matt.Cross said:

Mike's handloads are a public service to people who have always wanted to know what it feels like for a pipe bomb to detonate in your hand. 

And definitely yes.

On 8/31/2020 at 9:56 PM, 98Z5V said:

I'm out.  Not shooting it.  I've shot your fukin' 10mm "warm" loads through a handgun.  I'm not shooting this thing and cutting off my right shoulder.  I'm just sayin'...

On 8/31/2020 at 10:03 PM, Matt.Cross said:

Mike's handloads are a public service to people who have always wanted to know what it feels like for a pipe bomb to detonate in your hand. 

:lmao: They are that hot huh?:hail:

57 minutes ago, Radioactive said:

If your scared just say your scared. :thefinger:

Come on out, brother - and shoot some of his "warm loads" as he calls them.  THEN, you'll know...  You'll feel it in your wrist, afterwards, for days.  When you shoot these things, and you're standing in front of a 10x10 canopy - and the brass CLEARS the canopy, and you find it all 30 feet back - you'll see what's up with the "warm loads..."  :laffs::lmao:

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Come on out, brother - and shoot some of his "warm loads" as he calls them.  THEN, you'll know...  You'll feel it in your wrist, afterwards, for days.  When you shoot these things, and you're standing in front of a 10x10 canopy - and the brass CLEARS the canopy, and you find it all 30 feet back - you'll see what's up with the "warm loads..."  :laffs::lmao:

nope - I’m scared. I’d like to come out but not this time. Oct/ Nov is no good this year.

Jesus guys ... The Warm loads cycle and only go 1250 fps , just like Mike's from Double Taps. The Hot loads I don't shoot any more because they don't cycle in the Witness. But I will try them in the G20. The AR 10mm will be gas operated and with enough weight the recoil should be minimal. Probably will try an 8 or 9 once buffer.

16 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Jesus guys ... The Warm loads cycle and only go 1250 fps , just like Mike's from Double Taps. The Hot loads I don't shoot any more because they don't cycle in the Witness. But I will try them in the G20. The AR 10mm will be gas operated and with enough weight the recoil should be minimal. Probably will try an 8 or 9 once buffer.

The "warm loads" cleared the canopy, brother. By FAR.  I think I've shot the "hot loads" too - because I'm your guinea pig...   :lmao: That .300 WSM comes to mind, now that we talk about "warm" and "hot" loads...  That 6lb bitch is BRUTAL...  

No matter what platform you shoot those fuckers from, I did my time...    :thefinger::laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

On 8/31/2020 at 7:56 PM, 98Z5V said:

Tom I got a new Tank... The G20 is bigger than the Witness. Just ordered a SS guide rod and 20# , 22# , 24# recoil springs. The fun gets to start all over again .😈😿

Edited by MikedaddyH

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 1:08 PM, MikedaddyH said:

Tom I got a new Tank... The G20 is bigger than the Witness. Just ordered a SS guide rod and 20# , 22# , 24# recoil springs. The fun gets to start all over again .😈😿

Tom I just installed a 22# spring and SS guide rod in the G20. I have and extra 20# & 24# spring just in case.

Another update, got a LPK and a pistol receiver extension for this build. Parts are  out there. Went to a LGS , his prices are a$$ rapingly high !! There are a lot of parts on the shelves and Handguns on the wall. Dude is marking up 50% to over 100% from what was there just a few months ago. Will only go back if I really need something ! And he is on my text messages list of friends. Going to leave this one alone !!

• 3 weeks later...

Went to my favorite paintball (LGS) they got another FFL. Pick up a bunch of little parts. Raw upper, buffer tube, 2- 7.5oz buffer.

Owner was explaining that gun parts manufacturers are locking in prices until February and March on all of their orders. This helps explain the shortage of AR parts in Gun Stores. Store owners don't want to get stuck with high price inventory.

• 5 months later...
On 10/6/2020 at 9:32 PM, 98Z5V said:

YOU NEED A HEEEEAAAAAVY BUFFER FOR THIS THING, BROTHER!  HEAVY!

On 10/7/2020 at 11:48 AM, MikedaddyH said:

Ordered an 8 oz buffer. 

If that doesn't work will have to get a 10 oz KAW buffer.

Sprinco RED spring for this bitch, brother. I have one standing by, to test next week.  I know you'll need it for this thing.

Back out with the 40 pcc.

Replaced the 10oz solid buffer with the Odin, 4 tungsten weights,  Sprinco red.

4-1/8" buffer came in at 11.36 oz

Weights and pads fit tight, so sanded a little bit off the bumper to get a little bounceout of the weights.

Put Wilson 33 round 9mm springs in the old 22 round .40 mags. Speed up the feed slowed down the bolt.

Was running reliability but still getting the occasional double / triple burst, this cured it, no double taps and 100% feeding 155 gr XTPs in the 1500 fps range. 

Going to watch for a deal on a couple more Odins, do my pistol and the brother's while I'm on a roll.

20210328_122159.jpg

Edited by Albroswift

3 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Replaced the 10oz solid buffer with the Odin, 4 tungsten weights,  Sprinco red.

Going to watch for a deal on a couple more Odins, do my pistol and the brother's while I'm on a roll.

These Odin adjustable buffers are pretty damn cool.  I'm glad they did this.  Makes tuning and checking a whole lot easier. 

My old Olympic Arms AR-45 might end up getting my Odin AR15 Heavy adjustable buffer - we'll see.  It used to double up sometimes with an H3 and stardard carbine spring.  Now it's got a Sprinco Orange in there, and the H3.  If it doubles up again with this combo, I'll try the Red spring and see. After that - the Odin heavy goes in there.

The Oly Arms setup uses a different bolt/BCG configuration - it's not a flat-faced BCG like other pistol stuff out there - it actually has a bolt in it that's non-reciprocating - roll=pinned into the BCG body, just a standard AR15 BCG.  Because of that, if you use a PCC-specific longer heavy buffer, it won't lock back on the bolt face, it'll only lock lack on the BCG body - not enough BCG travel to lock it back right, with a pistol buffer.  So, you're stuck with a 3.250" buffer to get it to cycle right. 

Edited by 98Z5V

I think the sliding weights and pads were the last piece of the puzzle. The red spring is for longer buffers could be the spring rate of the longer spring helps as well. The orange spring doesn't get compressed with the longer buffers. It's a thought anyway. Really like the .40 for a PCC caliber but they seem to be a tricky bugger to get balanced.