MikedaddyH

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

You could use a 7-11/16 tube and the 4-1/8" Odin

I might switch to that.  Great idea.   :thumbup:

Function test this weekend, with the spring change, maybe another (Red) spring change after that.  It runs great, and has for years.  Just once in awhile it doubles up.  Once I solve that, it's done.  It only doubled on people that had lazy trigger fingers, but the concern was that it did it in the first place, lazy finger or not...  

Just thinking out loud, If I were building a blowback 10mm, I would go with the AR 10 carbine tube, and turn a 4-3/4" buffer  that would take up to 6 tungsten weights. My guess is you could get up to a little over 14 oz total buffer weight. Could also make some different "collars" / spring spacers to change the length of the head to tune the spring rate. 

Buffer.thumb.JPG.9e83f503b6da68536892a94cf809c402.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2021 at 12:24 PM, Albroswift said:

10oz solid buffer with the Odin, 4 tungsten weights,  Sprinco red.

Actually wasn't Odin, theirs only hold 3 and are 3-1/2" long, even for their PCC buffer.

It was a Quarter Circle 10, found out when I tried ordering another one. Odins are all 3.5, QC10 are discontinued. 

So making a couple. 

First one is a KVP 4-1/8" Solid SS that I'm boring out, adding a collar for correct spring compression. Should match the QC10's 11.3 oz.

Second one on the lathe right now is going to be a 4-13/16" 5 weight model for 7-11/16" AR10 tubes. Still keeping the tail at correct spring compression dimension. Waiting on a long end mill to ream and flatten the bottom of the bore. Adjustable weight on that one should be close to 15oz

20210502_155324.thumb.jpg.67188249d9bca863b758c2afb3e566dc.jpg

20210502_155339.thumb.jpg.4c5d92263fdda95937b4b5811c5f12c5.jpg

2 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Yea baby....

20210507_194116.jpg

You're gonna NEED that, brother.  I'm running an 8oz buffer and a Sprinco Red spring in a 9mm - and it is having "issues."  It's running too fast.  My next move is a KAW Valley 10oz buffer, to try to slow this thing down.  Normal ammo, too, 115gr 9mm, not hot by any means. 

That plus a 19oz bolt seems about right little under 2.2 lbs.

I've been soaking in an article by a fellow named Chinn, he calculates it at around 2.8 lbs. Couple excerpts:

"The 10mm level of power really represents the upper level of the blowback action due to the necessary weight of the bolt. Any more power and the bolt becomes so massive that the weapon becomes cumbersome, the exact opposite direction we want to go. If we add a locking mechanism, the complexity of design goes up, again not the direction we want to go. The 10mm shows its excellence by delivering the most force out the barrel controlled by a bolt weight within a reasonable consideration."

“NOTE: There is one point which requires special clarification at this time. In many descriptions of blowback actions, it is strongly implied that the driving spring contributes a substantial portion of the resistance which limits acceleration imparted to the bolt by the powder gases. Actually, this is not so. Although it is true that the driving spring absorbs the kinetic energy of the recoiling bolt and thus limits the total distance it moves, the resistance of the spring does not have any real effect in the early phase of the cycle of operation. The bolt acceleration occurs mainly while the powder gas pressures are high and are exerting a force of many thousands of pounds on the bolt. The driving spring, in order to permit the bolt to open enough to allow feeding, must offer a relatively low resistance. Although this resistance is sufficient to absorb the bolt energy over the comparatively great distance through which the bolt moves in recoil, it is not great enough to offer significant opposition to the powder gas pressure until the chamber pressure has dropped to a relatively low level well after the projectile has left the muzzle.”

Good article, 

The American PDW

https://10mmautocombat.wordpress.com/blowback-bolt-calculations/

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You're gonna NEED that, brother.  I'm running an 8oz buffer and a Sprinco Red spring in a 9mm - and it is having "issues."  It's running too fast.  My next move is a KAW Valley 10oz buffer, to try to slow this thing down.  Normal ammo, too, 115gr 9mm, not hot by any means. 

The problem I have with the KAW is it's a solid, offers no dead blow effect. I think that is as huge a factor as is weight. Almost done boring out my KAW SS 7.5 oz for 4 weights, should match performance the discontinued QC-10 that I have great luck with in the AR40 carbine, maxes out at 11.3 oz with 4 tungsten. For the 9MM maybe 2 tung and 2 steel, +/-

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, Albroswift said:

New Frontier Armory has 12.5" and 16" barrels in stock, just grabbed a 12.5" for a future build. Already have a lower and maybe an upper, if not plenty of regular uppers laying around. . 

Just hold my beer.. I can make it...🍻🍻🇺🇸

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 7:58 AM, Albroswift said:

The problem I have with the KAW is it's a solid, offers no dead blow effect. I think that is as huge a factor as is weight. Almost done boring out my KAW SS 7.5 oz for 4 weights, should match performance the discontinued QC-10 that I have great luck with in the AR40 carbine, maxes out at 11.3 oz with 4 tungsten. For the 9MM maybe 2 tung and 2 steel, +/-

If you come to the fall shoot . Please bring some extra buffers. The heavy ones !

1 hour ago, MikedaddyH said:

If you come to the fall shoot . Please bring some extra buffers. The heavy ones !

I'm going to make one of the shoots, but this year hunting season blends right into a Mexico trip so no bueno. Maybe spring. Brother is trying a few out in his 45 Zombie Killer this weekend. I'll send you a couple to try out if you want. Not trying to compete with Slash or anything big time, just having fun making chips.  

1 hour ago, Albroswift said:

I'm going to make one of the shoots, but this year hunting season blends right into a Mexico trip so no bueno. Maybe spring. Brother is trying a few out in his 45 Zombie Killer this weekend. I'll send you a couple to try out if you want. Not trying to compete with Slash or anything big time, just having fun making chips.  

I can get 8.4oz ones here but that is it.

On 9/24/2021 at 10:38 PM, sketch said:

Just hold my beer.. I can make it...🍻🍻🇺🇸

You ass better show up !!!!!!

I found some 10mmAuto ammo buried and loaded 4 stick mags. I am ready ! 

Found a 551 sight ,NIB , so I will be swapping out the Sig Sauer MSR with that next. Also going to change the pistol tube receiver extension to something less lethal  like a blade type buttstock.

I'm interested in hearing how this build runs! After building my 40 S&W AR I decided that if I ever decide to build a 10mm it will be a gas gun with a locking bolt. No way I'm going to try building a blowback 10mm! I've got the Sprinco orange AR-308 spring and a 8.5 oz. buffer in the 40 build and it is still pretty violent.

On 10/15/2021 at 4:14 PM, 392heminut said:

I'm interested in hearing how this build runs! After building my 40 S&W AR I decided that if I ever decide to build a 10mm it will be a gas gun with a locking bolt. No way I'm going to try building a blowback 10mm! I've got the Sprinco orange AR-308 spring and a 8.5 oz. buffer in the 40 build and it is still pretty violent.

Larry, that is not exactly what i need to hear.

The 40s&w AR has the 8.4oz buffer so does the 357sig AR.

3 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Larry, that is not exactly what i need to hear.

The 40s&w AR has the 8.4oz buffer so does the 357sig AR.

...better be running either the Sprinco Red spring, or the Armalite EA1095, in that bitch.

I'm juust sayin'...   Trust me, doubt me - better change that recoil spring to one of those two I just told you about.  My $0.03 on it - this one gets the extra penny...

We'll see how this shakes out in about a month from now, I know that...  :popcorn: