• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Finally building a poly80 Glock

DayWalker

So i finally decided to take the plunge on one of these bad boys. Big Daddy Unlimited was selling the frames for under $100 a few weeks ago, so I couldn’t resist. Only one real problem with this build, and I think everyone knows what it is. Parts for Glocks, just like everything else right now are hard as hell to find. I’ve been searching all around and I don’t think I’ve seen one frame parts kit in stock anywhere. Just wondering if anyone has any sites that had parts kits in stock. 

I found a company that makes slides and barrels in house, Rock Slide USA. They actually have everything required to finish it out, but it’s like $580 for all of it. Obviously the constant mass panic in the gun world means nothing is cheap right now, but I hadn’t really planned on almost $600 to build this damn thing. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tl/dr version: If you get a good product from them, you are good to go.  But I saw quality control issues and had difficulty with customer service.

I am not looking for any help or comments on my issue.  I do not want to derail @DayWalker's thread.  This is meant to detail my experience with the company he has mentioned.

I ordered 2 slides from Rockslide.  One works great (black slide).  The other one (FDE) has not functioned well.  The first would not go onto the frame fully so I returned it.  The second one was incompletely machined and would not allow the barrel to fully seat into the slide, so I returned it.  The third one was back to not going on the frame.  I have let someone look at this one to figure out and fix it instead of returning it yet again.

All parts between the slides were identical and would work in the black slide perfectly.  None have worked in the FDE slides. 

Their customer service is spotty as well.  Granted it was during the shutdown originally, but it took 4 attempts to get them to respond through the online form for the first one.  The average response time was 1-2 weeks (after the first time).  They said they would not answer the phone due to understaffed because of Covid.  

They tried to blame my other parts and say it needed fitting even though all of my parts worked in one of their slides.

FDE slide on FDE frame.

IMG_20200403_212439.thumb.jpg.455ee13c96418a57ad6f5cc91ae8d5b3.jpg

FDE slide on black frame.

IMG_20200403_212529.thumb.jpg.061ad99000b77e61cd186e6b65c710be.jpg

Here is a video of the second slide with the barrel seating issue demonstrated.

@Armed Eye Doc
That is certainly annoying, parts working in one and not the other. I also don’t love the fact that is their 3rd try to fix it and never getting it right. Everything I have heard about them before this has been positive, interesting to see that issue. I’m not dead set on buying their stuff, they just seem to be the price to beat. Between the slide being about $200, and barrels around $80, that’s a good bit cheaper than anywhere else, granted you get what you pay for. 

17 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

@Armed Eye Doc
That is certainly annoying, parts working in one and not the other. I also don’t love the fact that is their 3rd try to fix it and never getting it right. Everything I have heard about them before this has been positive, interesting to see that issue. I’m not dead set on buying their stuff, they just seem to be the price to beat. Between the slide being about $200, and barrels around $80, that’s a good bit cheaper than anywhere else, granted you get what you pay for. 

Just wanted to provide my experience.  I know they can make a good product.  I have one.  My problem is that I ordered two.

Internet review ratings are not always what they seem.

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

600 is getting off easy. I had more than that into the slide. 

parts kits no, but you’ll have to shop individual pieces. I went by glockstore...it’s a long walk from my office. I could hit their front door with a rock thrown from my off hand. They had no kits months ago. Enough parts to put everything together though. They aren’t the cheapest, but worth a call. 

23 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Just wanted to provide my experience.  I know they can make a good product.  I have one.  My problem is that I ordered two.

Internet review ratings are not always what they seem.

Ron I see the problem and could fix it with a small file. A dremil would do the trick also.

Sorry you have had issues with that company. I have one of their slides and have been using Sovereign Guns for years and have never had any problems.

17 hours ago, DNP said:

600 is getting off easy. I had more than that into the slide. 

parts kits no, but you’ll have to shop individual pieces. I went by glockstore...it’s a long walk from my office. I could hit their front door with a rock thrown from my off hand. They had no kits months ago. Enough parts to put everything together though. They aren’t the cheapest, but worth a call. 

Your going to source individual pieces like Dirk is saying. I put a G17 together last month, had two unicorn parts and found them in Colorado. Get anodized parts off of eBay from the Bay area. Get Lone Wolf internals from ID.

On 10/3/2020 at 10:30 AM, DayWalker said:

So i finally decided to take the plunge on one of these bad boys. Big Daddy Unlimited was selling the frames for under $100 a few weeks ago, so I couldn’t resist. Only one real problem with this build, and I think everyone knows what it is. Parts for Glocks, just like everything else right now are hard as hell to find. I’ve been searching all around and I don’t think I’ve seen one frame parts kit in stock anywhere. Just wondering if anyone has any sites that had parts kits in stock. 

I found a company that makes slides and barrels in house, Rock Slide USA. They actually have everything required to finish it out, but it’s like $580 for all of it. Obviously the constant mass panic in the gun world means nothing is cheap right now, but I hadn’t really planned on almost $600 to build this damn thing. 

Question, brother - your dad is OUT for Fall Shoot.

Are there Family Ties in that decision?...   :popcorn:

Corona has him skeered to travel, or it's just too hard, or some shiit like that, so he's out.

Does that pertain to the rest of his family?  You out, or making it, brother?  Kate - she turn bullshiit on all this, or can she ride with you? 

I'm just curious, if Ron was powerful enough to take out the whole Family here.  If he's out "due to complications" then I get it - but that doesn't mean you two are out.  We NEED you two down here.  I'm just sayin'... 

On 10/3/2020 at 10:30 AM, DayWalker said:

I found a company that makes slides and barrels in house, Rock Slide USA

I have 2 Rock Slide USA complete uppers, and they are the tits.  Perfect.  Thought I'd at least answer a question that you had, after I derailed your thread, brother.   :thumbup:

Come down for Fall Shoot.  :hail:

31 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Does that pertain to the rest of his family?  You out, or making it, brother?  Kate - she turn bullshiit on all this, or can she ride with you? 

I’m not 100% sure yet, but this year is just difficult. I definitely want to come, had an absolute blast last year, but circumstances are moving against me. My wife just started a new job a few weeks back, and that’s causing all sorts of complications with what to do with the kids each day. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice having that second income after over 4 years, but with school only being 2 days a week it makes things hard currently. I don’t know that I can get away for a week without making her life miserable. 

As for Kate, she also just started a job pretty recently, and they aren’t gonna approve a week off yet. She said she could get like 2 days, but being a 12 hour drive, I don’t how she’ll get down this year. I know both of us want to come, even if Ron punts on this year, but I think the chances are getting slimmer.

Back to business on the Glock front, @MikedaddyH was a huge help. He sent me a bunch of links to stuff and lots of websites to check out. With his help, I was able to track down all OEM Glock parts, which I was shocked given the current climate of everything being sold out constantly. Still need to decide on a slide and barrel, but everything else has been accounted for now. 

6 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

I’m not 100% sure yet, but this year is just difficult. I definitely want to come, had an absolute blast last year, but circumstances are moving against me. My wife just started a new job a few weeks back, and that’s causing all sorts of complications with what to do with the kids each day. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice having that second income after over 4 years, but with school only being 2 days a week it makes things hard currently. I don’t know that I can get away for a week without making her life miserable. 

As for Kate, she also just started a job pretty recently, and they aren’t gonna approve a week off yet. She said she could get like 2 days, but being a 12 hour drive, I don’t how she’ll get down this year. I know both of us want to come, even if Ron punts on this year, but I think the chances are getting slimmer.

This bums me out, but I get it.  2020 just SUCKS ASS.  In light of all this, I'm just gonna bust Ron's chops even more...   :bat:

After all - it doesn't have anything to do with you, brother - it all comes back to him...   :lmao:

This is some Lion King "Full Circle" shiit, right here...   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

This bums me out, but I get it.  2020 just SUCKS ASS.  In light of all this, I'm just gonna bust Ron's chops even more...   :bat:

After all - it doesn't have anything to do with you, brother - it all comes back to him...   :lmao:

Yeah, I’m really over this year myself. I don’t give a rats as$ about the ‘Rona, that’s all nonsense, but all the other complications this year has from the masses being terrified. Fuk it’s brutal. Oh, and never miss an opportunity to jump on Ron for no reason, it’s character building. Granted he’s already got plenty of character :lmao:

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

Back to business on the Glock front, @MikedaddyH was a huge help. He sent me a bunch of links to stuff and lots of websites to check out. With his help, I was able to track down all OEM Glock parts, which I was shocked given the current climate of everything being sold out constantly. Still need to decide on a slide and barrel, but everything else has been accounted for now. 

The first link , that SS barrel is great ! 

Sovereign Guns has black barrels.

As if I don't have enough $hit going on. I turn around, minding my own business and Bap, Bip, Bap, Pow! :lmao:

What The actual Fuk?

Eehhh.....That's okay. I say bring it on. I've always followed the theory of having tapered shoulders....not broad shoulders. I just let it all roll off.

FUKER! You know who you are. :laffs: I've got your full circle.