• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 load data and cci #34

johnml

due to the current primer situation i have only been able to get cci #34 primers for a 308 load.... i am looking at 40 grains of IMR 3031 and a 150 grain fmjbt.....the load calls for a large rifle primer......can i use the 34s for a LRP, or do i need to reduce powder charge and if so by how much?... tia for any responses

Here's the best place to start, with that question:

https://bfy.tw/PiJ5

So, research is what you need to do.  Thanks for blasting this in 4 different places on this board - literally, the exact same thing, 4 times.  Like that will shorted up the answer-time for you. 

Edited by 98Z5V

It’s really no wonder new users often don’t post to many of the forums.  Someone with six posts might not be as familiar with everything as someone with 30k posts.  They don’t deserve that kind of reply.  I’m sure I’ll get something similar but I don’t really care.

2 hours ago, tcoz said:

It’s really no wonder new users often don’t post to many of the forums.  Someone with six posts might not be as familiar with everything as someone with 30k posts.  They don’t deserve that kind of reply.  I’m sure I’ll get something similar but I don’t really care.

Isn't there a notice when you sign up about posting in the intro section? Isn't there a section on how this board works and what is expected? You want us to cut YOU slack because YOU don't follow directions. Probably not going to happen.

5 minutes ago, johnml said:

some people just apparently get off on trying to appear superior and putting others down, rather than being helpful.

If you don't think 98 is helpful then you haven't read much here yet. He may rub people wrong but he puts in serious time trying to help people get a running rifle, above and beyond.

46 minutes ago, johnml said:

some people just apparently get off on trying to appear superior and putting others down, rather than being helpful.

And other people wander blindly into a group of people they don't know and start arriving at ill-informed conclusions, which they then spout as gospel. Surely you can understand why that's not putting you in the good graces of folks here.

Feelings aside, if you have questions you'll be pointed towards valid data to solve your problems, but you have to understand that said data was gained through hard-earned personal time, money, and experience/experimentation.

Newcomers aren't owed anything, perseverance and thick skin combined with the ability to listen to what you're told will make you a fixture in this community.

14 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Feelings aside, if you have questions you'll be pointed towards valid data to solve your problems, but you have to understand that said data was gained through hard-earned personal time, money, and experience/experimentation.

Newcomers aren't owed anything, perseverance and thick skin combined with the ability to listen to what you're told will make you a fixture in this community.

That's a great way to put it Matt. Well done sir.

@johnml

As long as they fire, I would have no problem using them with typical load data. As always, start low and work your way up. I think it is a hardness difference, and there is a school of thought out there that you should always use hard primers in AR's. (I have never had an issue.) 

Edited by Albroswift

1 hour ago, Albroswift said:

@johnml

As long as they fire, I would have no problem using them with typical load data. As always, start low and work your way up. I think it is a hardness difference, and there is a school of thought out there that you should always use hard primers in AR's. (I have never had an issue.) 

CCI 34s are hardened mil-type primers, but they're hot like CCI 250 Large Rifle Magnum Primers, and they're not the same as CCI 200 Large Rifle Primers.  There's alot more punch in those 34s, over a standard 200.  Same deal with CCI 41s for small, and CCi 400 standards, vs' 450 Magnums.  Those 41s are magnum-powered.

Start low...

I have no problem with magnum primers in non magnum recipes, could be an issue in zero freebore barrels but just speculating, havent loaded or chrono'd for any rifles like those. I've used Mag rifle and Mag pistol in non mag reloads, didn't get much of a bump in velocities or signs of pressure problems, but  I'm sure there is plenty of anecdotal evidence both ways.