• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Trigger Job

DustBuster

I’m getting close to installing a trigger and lower parts into my DPMS Lr-308.

In the attached photo, is a trigger and hammer of which I do not know what type it is and need to learn.  Single stage, double  stage, POC, or good enuff.  Is it worth it for me to go ahead and use this trigger or should I buy some other type of trigger parts to save myself having to do it later.  Or some kind of Drop in unit instead?  Any ideas? 

AB3B72CE-36DB-442F-8A02-12C05C7387B9.jpeg

Where did that picture come from?  Is it a stock photo from a website or something that you already own?

The quick answer is to get a Larue MBT2S.  It is a hell of a trigger, especially for the price point.  They also have a 1 stage trigger that I haven't tried.  Both are available in curved or straight option.

31 minutes ago, DustBuster said:

They seem cheap enough... I might as well try one.  If for some reason I dislike it after testing , I’ll sell it back to you if you want Doc.  Thanks for tip

Great!  Then I'll finally have the spare that someone on the forum owes me. :hornet:

We'll see how long it takes for that person to find this. 😃

17 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Great!  Then I'll finally have the spare that someone on the forum owes me. :hornet:

We'll see how long it takes for that person to find this. 😃

Oh, I found it last night  - and I knew it then....  :laffs:   I was ready for the SS delivery, but I might as well get the big care package in the mail...   :thumbup:

28 minutes ago, DustBuster said:

I’m sure I’ll be happy with it, so you’ll maybe get your spare anyway from 98z I’m guessing.  I just ordered the Larue... way cheaper than Gisselle’s for example.  

Be prepared for a long wait.  I ordered one the end of January and it's supposed to ship in a couple of weeks.  Maybe.

1 hour ago, cwouscg said:

Be prepared for a long wait.  I ordered one the end of January and it's supposed to ship in a couple of weeks.  Maybe.

I read that somewhere...Oh well... guess I can install the plain Jane one I have an then and see how she behaves, then pop in the Good one after the long wait and then marvel at the improvement.  I had a gunsmith reduce the LBs on my bolt action 30-06 a long time ago, I wonder if these Larues and even the plain Jane milspec trigger can be adjusted.  I have not looked very closely at the one I have.

Stock triggers can end up all over the map for pull, creep, roughness, etc.  Once in a while you'll get one that is decent but for the most part they aren't that great and certainly no where near where you will need one to be for best accuracy/tightest groups even locked down pretty hard bench rest shooting.

I "re-work" my own here but have decades of experience with that sort of thing (Military SAI for 20 years) and used to shoot on a Military rifle team so used to working with the stock parts.  I guess for the do-it-yourselfer there is money to be saved and with enough practice you can end up with excellent results (plan on buying a few spares to get you thru the learning curve).  Even with that said reducing "creep" goes well beyond just lightening spring tension and polishing mating parts, you will need to remove material as well.

That's where the monkey wrench gets thrown into the mix as reducing engagement of the parts on this type of platform can reduce reliability and margin of safety.   Mostly for that reason I recommend just buying a good trigger as recommended above right to start with.  The price of the LaRue is very attractive and although I've never tried one they get raving reviews, and likely why they are not able to keep up with orders.  This COVID thing has done that to a lot of companies, so much so that it's been pretty much a full time job for me to keep stocked up on parts I sell here since this "pandemic" started. 

Not to get off on a rant but a LOT of companies have suffered since this started, where others have flourished.  I'm one of the lucky ones, have been so busy I don't have time to reach around and scratch my ass most days, and running 2-3 days behind filling orders off the website, even starting at 4am and working all day long.  Yah, I know, it sounds great but rest assured "Obiden" and company will find a way to take my money and give it to the bottom feeders so they can bridge the gap between those that work and those that lay around waiting for a hand-out.....FWIW......

I don’t like my Larue as much as my SSA-E, but I could get a couple Larue’s for the price of the Geissele...and I do like the Larue a lot. If you can get one, and 98 doesn’t steal it...you won’t be unhappy. You will however never want a stock trigger again. 

7 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I will be the first to state that I willingly loaned that to him.  With interest, he'll owe me an entire Larue rifle before too long. :lmao:

Whoa!Whoa!Whoa!   We never talked about INTEREST, brother...    But, I guess, there's interest, to be paid.   I'll figure out something, to pay off the interest...   :thefinger:

We used to have a smilie here, waving his ass back and forth - I miss that one...   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

After seeing people pop the hammer and trigger pins in and out...I wonder if they get loose after a while.  There are detents on them but I suppose friction and spring shear force are all that keep them from wiggling out.  Thanks to Doc I found out about these awesome Larues, but alas I am on backorder now too and will have to wait maybe a long time to see.  Roger on no poundage tuning on the triggers( except maybe for swapping out different springs) and also a Roger on some having experience with filing and professional ability to fine tune trigger creep.  I am still working to make a jig for use with my new dewalt router.  As of yet I have no home for any kind of trigger.  I guess I have plenty of time before I need to get impatient on a little Tuna Can with a MBT in it.