• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 Pistol rail/ handguards

Chistang.GT

So I am new to this forum, or any firearms forum. I have recently purchased a Diamondback "DB10P13BGFDE". AR10 pistol basically......

I am going to assume you guys know what I am talking about considering this forum. I wanted it as a SHTF/ battle rifle but something I could also use as home defense with the stopping power of Thor's hammer. 

The barrel is 13 inches long with a break at the end and the rail is 12.5 I believe (don't quote me on that). Never the less I am looking for a shorter rail to shed some weight and just expose the barrel a tad bit more just for asthetics purposes really. I was looking at say a 10" or 9.5" rail/ handguard, Has anyone got a set up similar to this already in use? If so do you guys know any good companies or kits, I don't want something that will shatter the bank either say in the $100-$250 price range. I want sturdy, solid and light weight construction. 

Thanks! posting pics below

DB10P13BGFDE.jpgI literally have this EXACT firearm.

That's perfect. Leave it alone.  .308 Win cartridge sucks for home defense, because of barrier penetration (over penetration), but there's nothing wrong with that configuration.  Don't touch it.

Research Box O' Truth on YT if you want to see what works for home defense, and over-penetration. TONS of vids on it.  Search the early chapters.

Not a pistol. But an 12" SBR. I love all of my AR-10's. But as others have said, I wouldn't wanna light this little bastard off indoors. One because of the noise. Two....because it would go through the perp.....the wall behind them.....the exterior brick wall behind that.....the brick wall of the neighbors house another 50 feet away....and then it's really gonna get ugly.

1318428324_UpdatedAR-10SBR_1.thumb.JPG.f34143987a49991100af2790e933fe77.JPG

13 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Ok 1 has a 10" rail the other a 12".

Here is the 10" railed pistol.

IMG_20210317_044511.jpg

THAT IS PERFECT! I want the barrel to poke just a tad more and yeah I have been hearing that 308 is not ideal for home defense but my goal is to suppress it later and yeah realistically it maybe wont be my first option but it is my first 308 and now what rail is that? Do you guys know any 10" aftermarket ones that fit easily?

1 minute ago, Chistang.GT said:

Do you guys know any 10" aftermarket ones that fit easily?

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/TRIM-Tactical-Rail-Interface-Modular-AR-10-DPMS-10/productinfo/TR-TRIM-AR-10-D-10/

Maybe I wouldn't say easy, it takes a bit more work with the barrel nut shims(unless you just happen to get the right shim stack first try) They are solid rails, get an extra rail section if they have them as the rail is discontinued but hard to get anything that quality for more than double the money. 

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/TRIM-Tactical-Rail-Interface-Modular-AR-10-DPMS-10/productinfo/TR-TRIM-AR-10-D-10/

Maybe I wouldn't say easy, it takes a bit more work with the barrel nut shims(unless you just happen to get the right shim stack first try) They are solid rails, get an extra rail section if they have them as the rail is discontinued but hard to get anything that quality for more than double the money. 

I'm here to tell you about these Wilson Combat handguards. They're SOLID as a rock. I've got one of these style of rails on a 7.5" 15 build that I did a couple years back. If the rifle ever goes click instead of bang, you can swing these things around and club somebody with them. They lock up against the upper receivers rock solid.

1904134321_7.5Uppertestfit.thumb.JPG.8eac5fcd804432158d25d35fa3694a3a.JPG

Edited by Rsquared

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

@Chistang.GT I forgot to ask the rail height on your receiver, the page linked runs through what that Wilson rail fits, the DPMS high pattern.

https://www.diamondbackfirearms.com/portfolio/db10p13bgfde/

Here is the link to Diamondback's official page about this gun because I will be honest I don't yet know much about DPMS and receiver heights yet, so any and all information is welcome. I really like the look of that 10" rail on the 13" barrel and I like wilson combat. My concern is now the fitment, what all would I need to fit that rail on my firearm?

40 minutes ago, Chistang.GT said:

https://www.diamondbackfirearms.com/portfolio/db10p13bgfde/

Here is the link to Diamondback's official page about this gun because I will be honest I don't yet know much about DPMS and receiver heights yet, so any and all information is welcome. I really like the look of that 10" rail on the 13" barrel and I like wilson combat. My concern is now the fitment, what all would I need to fit that rail on my firearm?

You need to measure your upper receiver, first.  Determine what you have, for a rail height.

DPMS LR 308 products from Midwest Industries, a U.S. manufacturer of  quality tactical rifle accessories.

You need to do the work, and figure out what you have.  It's in your hands, so we don't know what you're holding... 

Edited by 98Z5V

Maybe put a forward blast unit on it instead of that muzzle brake, that thing will shatter light fixtures in the room along with your ear drums. Also your DB is a high rail. as mentioned the 308 is overkill for home defense. I'd also leave the stock rail on but that is a matter of personal preference. everybody is different.

I don’t have a handguard suggestion for you. That is what Google is for, a lot depends on how you want to attach accessories and personal taste. I will ask how do you hold your rifle? I wrap my thumb over the top. More rail give you better control, the further out you hold it the better.

• 1 month later...

That IS a nice looking muzzle device.  :)

FWIW I picked an SLR Helix 12.5” (exact length) M-Lok to go over a 12.5” barrel with (carbine gas length).  Specific intent on this one was for a look similar to above where the full diameter part of the muzzle device begins behind/under the handguard.  The flash can I'll be using is the KAK fluted micro slim flash can, it is 1.75” long with about 3/4" of that being what covers the threads.

A 13" handguard would have been ideal in my opinion for the amount of overlap (ie the look) I was looking for but they didn't make one.  12.5" handguard should  work OK though.  The can should stick out about an inch when I'm done.

Evidently SLR recommends handguard to be about .5" longer than barrel when you want this type of muzzle device and overlap look.  (and they make a nice looking linear comp too).  They recommend a handguard .8" shorter than barrel when you want the handguard to stop just short of where the threads start on the bbl if you plan on attaching a suppressor that doesn't have to fit inside the handguard apparently this gives just enough gap to be able to get most of them off and on without clearance trouble.

"Barrel length" begins at the face of the chamber, and ends at the very end of the threads on the barrel.

Rails don't measure that way - and all rails from all manufacturers - they all measure differently.  My $0.02 on it.  I can put up pics of the differences, if necessary.

Here's a Ballistic Advantage 8.3" 9mm barrel, with a GunTec USA 6.75" rail.  Can you imagine if that rail was another 1.5"-ish longer?...

IMG_0358.thumb.JPG.a9cb3bcac9dfcafd97687de57a7c8dab.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

Yeah, looks like you'd have a rail that lets part of the muzzle dev "stick out" a bit.

Not sure about chamber etc on mine.  BA calls it a 12.5" barrel and SLR says the guard length is 12.5" long.  All  I know is the end of threads on my bbl line up with end of the rail when I held the guard against upper to verify what it would look like.  (and it was what I expected)

Was hoping for a bit more overhang of the guard (or said different, that a tad more of the fat part of KAK micro slim flash can was behind the guard) but it will do since they don't make a 13” guard. 13.5” is next size up, too long for what I had in mind.

Anyway they seemed to be going for similar look (albeit with a different muzzle device) so I chimed in.  Hope that is OK.

Do you have any power tool skills?  If so there is always the option to keep the rail you have that you know fits the rifle and cut it down. 

Something like this:

DB10P13BGFDE_LI.thumb.jpg.b5b472bff4d161eed933443f0833f57c.jpg

All the cuts would be short straight lines and you can smooth out the cut edges with a dremel tool then repaint them flat black.  Or even make the cuts with a dremel tool.  A couple hour project, no cash outlay, and you would have a perfectly fitting rail.

7 hours ago, dpete said:

All the cuts would be short straight lines and you can smooth out the cut edges with a dremel tool then repaint them flat black.  Or even make the cuts with a dremel tool.  A couple hour project, no cash outlay, and you would have a perfectly fitting rail.

I've DONE this. I'll find the gun I did it to, and get pics up - but I'm pretty sure it was one of the 5.56 pistol builds.  It turned out perfect.  :thumbup: