• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Whew! It works...

1500VHO

I just want to Thank everyone in this community for their suggestions, reviews and comments.

I ESPECIALLY want to Thank and give a Big Shout out to 98Z... Everything he pointed me to and stated in posts was and is true!! And you can take that to the bank.

I finally was able to go out and shoot my new 308AR build. It worked beautifully with Russian ammo (Steel case), which it was having problems with before. It shot Federal or Winchester stock ammo and my brass reloads beautifully also...

Ejection placement was at the 3 to 3:30 o'clock position for all spent cartridges. No jams, no failure to feeds or failure to ejects and the bolt held back on the last round each time. AND no slam fires with CCI, Winchester or Federal primers. I'm just so happy about my new build!! I was a little worried about slam fires with the new buffer spring and buffer, but 98Z was right about that as well. Nothing worry about!!

For those that may not know - it is a Aero Precision upper and lower with Ballistic Advantage "Heavy Profile" 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 20 inch barrel 1:10 twist with a Precision Armament EFAB hybrid muzzle brake. Magazines are IMI and Magpul 20 round PMags.  Trigger is a Rise "Blitz" 3-3.5 Single stage. Carbine adjustable stock with Sprinco "Orange" buffer spring and Odin adjustable buffer set at 5.45oz - Many, many Thanks to 98Z for all that info. As well as telling me to drill out the gas port to .096 (#41 drill)  from the stock .086 (#44 drill).

Thanks to all for making my day!!

@1500VHO, glad it's running, man!   The pattern for solid operation works, and works well.  That combination that you have will eat any ammo that you throw at it, and that's the entire goal, the whole time.

No need to thank me, though - buy me a beer sometime...   :thumbup:

I ESPECIALLY want to Thank and give a Big Shout out to 98Z...

and

Many, many Thanks to 98Z for all that info.

Geez, now you've done it, thanked him twice in the same thread....now your gonna have to enjoy a warm shower with him while you're having that beer!...LOL

Seriously, there is NO replacement for experience with these things.  I built half a dozen 308-AR's before finding this site and becoming a member.  Even with decades of experience with the M-16/M4/AR-15 (Military SAI for 20 years) I ran into quite a few issues including incompatibility and using different parts.  I still have a decent size box of leftover chit under the work bench for my efforts..........Anyhow, glad it is working as it should be.

I'm not overly fond of the steel case stuff.  Every once in a while my AR-47 will encounter one that jams and locks it up so tight I have to use a steel ram-rod and a BFH to get the bolt back and case out of it.  Kind of weird, but it will run many hundreds of rounds w/o issue then just lock-up.  Got to be the ammo, either too much pressure or piss poor sizing of the cases.......

Edited by Cliff R

22 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

@1500VHO, glad it's running, man!   The pattern for solid operation works, and works well.  That combination that you have will eat any ammo that you throw at it, and that's the entire goal, the whole time.

No need to thank me, though - buy me a beer sometime...   :thumbup:

@98Z5V - I will buy you that beer or whatever drink you would like the next time I'm near the border...  I "assume" you are in Texas. I have good friends in Dallas and Fort Worth.

BTW - No warm showers as Cliff R suggested... LOL :lmao:  Not that kind of guy!!! 

15 hours ago, Cliff R said:

Seriously, there is NO replacement for experience with these things.  I built half a dozen 308-AR's before finding this site and becoming a member.  Even with decades of experience with the M-16/M4/AR-15 (Military SAI for 20 years) I ran into quite a few issues including incompatibility and using different parts.  I still have a decent size box of leftover chit under the work bench for my efforts..........Anyhow, glad it is working as it should be.

I'm not overly fond of the steel case stuff.  Every once in a while my AR-47 will encounter one that jams and locks it up so tight I have to use a steel ram-rod and a BFH to get the bolt back and case out of it.  Kind of weird, but it will run many hundreds of rounds w/o issue then just lock-up.  Got to be the ammo, either too much pressure or piss poor sizing of the cases.......

Thanks Cliff R.  I built several AR15's and a 300BLk. You are absolutely correct. :thumbup:

The 308AR is a completely different animal. As far as a parts bin. I have the same thing in the basement. Lots of trail and error parts (triggers, stocks, buffers, sights, scopes, hand-guards, muzzle brakes, buffer springs, etc)

Now back to reloading some brass...

18 minutes ago, 1500VHO said:

@98Z5V - I will buy you that beer or whatever drink you would like the next time I'm near the border...  I "assume" you are in Texas. I have good friends in Dallas and Fort Worth.

BTW - No warm showers as Cliff R suggested... LOL :lmao:  Not that kind of guy!!! 

AZ, my man.  Stupid hot summers, but paradise for 9 months out of the year.  If you get this way, let me know.  We'll shoot at my SDTF - Secret Desert Test Facility.  You don't even need to bring guns or ammo - got that part covered.  :thumbup:

An overview of the SDTF...

PicsArt_10-11-04.39.52.jpg

Pic acknowledgement to @blue109, for demonstrating his shooting prowess for the photographers.  :hail:

Edited by 98Z5V