• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello! I'm brand new to the AR10

Comrade_Cthulhu

I'm familiar with the AR15, but now I'm in the market for a 7.62x51 NATO rifle. I decided on the AR10, since it's already in use by NATO forces as the Knight's Armament M110. I'm just building my first AR10 now. I've just purchased a PA10 stripped lower, and a DPMS low profile upper. Found this forum while I was searching for parts that would work on building mine, and figured I'd join to get help and advice. I already know about the proprietary lower parts on the PA10, such as the bolt catch, mag release, and retaining/detent pins. Guess I'll be asking a lot of questions around here, so I don't end up with a ton of expensive parts laying around that I can't use.

9 minutes ago, Comrade_Cthulhu said:

I've just purchased a PA10 stripped lower, and a DPMS low profile upper.

Those two major components of the gun system might have great difficulty working together.  Let's see what happens.

Welcome aboard. 

Just now, 98Z5V said:

Those two major components of the gun system might have great difficulty working together.  Let's see what happens.

Welcome aboard. 

From what I could find online, the new PA10 gen 3 upper is a DPMS low profile pattern. I'll test fit them as soon as the upper arrives, and my FFL gets my lower in.

3 minutes ago, Comrade_Cthulhu said:

From what I could find online, the new PA10 gen 3 upper is a DPMS low profile pattern. I'll test fit them as soon as the upper arrives, and my FFL gets my lower in.

That's just for rail-height - the only reason they give that information.  To select a rail.  That doesn't mean it'll pin to your lower.

Here's my story with PSA PA-10s.  I can pin an Aero M5 upper to a DPMS LR-308 lower, and vice versa.  I worked on a PSA PA-10 upper for someone - complete upper - and it would NOT pin to my Aero M5 lower, to test fire. So I tried it on my DPMS LR-308 lower.  It would NOT pin to that one, either.  I had to take the whole PSA upper apart, and transplant all it's guts into an Aero M5 upper, just to test fire it, and make sure it was good to go.

That's my history with the two platforms.  When PSA says they're "proprietary" - they're not kidding.

But, we'll see how this works out.  I'll await your test-fitting. :popcorn:

By the way - this is not an "AR-10" - the Armalite AR-10 platform is vastly different, and won't work with much of the parts you're describing.  This is information for you, just so you know.  This is a ".308AR" that you're working on, but it's not an AR-10.  You'd see that right away, if you tried to pin a real AR-10 upper to your PSA PA-10 lower.  :thumbup:

These platform differences are why this board exists in the first place. We've been around for a minute, and might know what we're talking about.

Edited by 98Z5V

10 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That's just for rail-height - the only reason they give that information.  To select a rail.  That doesn't mean it'll pin to your lower.

Here's my story with PSA PA-10s.  I can pin an Aero M5 upper to a DPMS LR-308 lower, and vice versa.  I worked on a PSA PA-10 upper for someone - complete upper - and it would NOT pin to my Aero M5 lower, to test fire. So I tried it on my DPMS LR-308 lower.  It would NOT pin to that one, either.  I had to take the whole PSA upper apart, and transplant all it's guts into an Aero M5 upper, just to test fire it, and make sure it was good to go.

That's my history with the two platforms.  When PSA says they're "proprietary" - they're not kidding.

But, we'll see how this works out.  I'll await your test-fitting. :popcorn:

I see. So, on my .308AR, do you think the DPMS pattern upper could be filed, or filled to fit the PA-10 lower, or do you think I should wait out the backorder on the PA-10 upper and cancel the order on my upper?

6 minutes ago, Comrade_Cthulhu said:

I see. So, on my .308AR, do you think the DPMS pattern upper could be filed, or filled to fit the PA-10 lower,

No.  It's not gonna work.  Cancel one or the other.  Buy upper and lower receivers from the same company to avoid major headaches down the road. Best bet altogether is to avoid PSA PA-10s, and that's no joke. Too much "proprietary" going on there.  Stick with something that at least adheres to either the "real" DPMS LR-308 pattern, or the Armalite AR-10 pattern.  Aero Precision sticks to the DPMS LR-308 pattern, perfectly, in the DPMS-High Rail pattern. Nobody can beat them, for what they do for this Large-Frame AR platform.n it'

Nothing about this platform, in it's 3 major configurations, is like building or running AR-15s.  Too many differences amongst the patterns.  You're finding that out now.

Edited by 98Z5V