Commando build carry handle and front sight

Albroswift

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Yep, thanks.

Found one at Bravo for cheap. Picture above is for the M203 mod, one I got doesn't have the 2 notches. Assume the large and small frame hand guards are same size?

Same.   :thumbup:

203 notches were standard on all (every single one of) the .mil stuff.  The aftermarket came up with the one without notches. Doesn't matter which one you use, notched or not, it'll work.

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 months later...

308 Commando. Bout got everything rounded up.

RRA carry handle about 1/4" overhanging the charging handle but I probably have the technology to fix that if it bothers me.

Noreen forged receivers

Armalite AR10 recoil of course.  

12.5" Sig barrel's shoulder exactly right place  for 6" Armalite handguard,  just need to drill port in the correct location, maybe plug the old one, maybe it will seal itself up without any messing around. 

Fake suppressor bored out for a sound forwarder. Pin that to the barrel. Nice lightweight handling forend 

Maybe getting ahead of myself,  but thinking of going with cerakote in a desert camo color scheme 

20210906_133715.thumb.jpg.799a298f88e0e79ea1245b14b27e6f31.jpg

20210906_134824.thumb.jpg.d8317f40609e8030fc429e492e9e450c.jpg

5 hours ago, Albroswift said:

308 Commando. Bout got everything rounded up.

RRA carry handle about 1/4" overhanging the charging handle but I probably have the technology to fix that if it bothers me.

Noreen forged receivers

Armalite AR10 recoil of course.  

12.5" Sig barrel's shoulder exactly right place  for 6" Armalite handguard,  just need to drill port in the correct location, maybe plug the old one, maybe it will seal itself up without any messing around. 

Fake suppressor bored out for a sound forwarder. Pin that to the barrel. Nice lightweight handling forend 

Maybe getting ahead of myself,  but thinking of going with cerakote in a desert camo color scheme 

20210906_133715.thumb.jpg.799a298f88e0e79ea1245b14b27e6f31.jpg

20210906_134824.thumb.jpg.d8317f40609e8030fc429e492e9e450c.jpg

Can't wait to see finished product brother 🍻

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 3:28 PM, Albroswift said:

If your gas block covers the original gas port don't sweat it. Mine did and I just left it alone, no leakage problems at all.

That's a great looking build brother!:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Gas tube strange length, 10-1/16", if I measure to the center of the cam cutout However, barrel measures 6-3/4" from shoulder to barrel extension ring. (6-7/8" back side of ring where it hits the upper) Seems to be standard length for short barrels, and the Armalite hand guard fits perfect with these numbers. Maybe the Noreen upper has the cam cutout 5/16" further back and a 9-3/4" tube is correct? I have the whole gun de-greased and blasted, hanging on hooks ready for finishes so I don't want to start banging things around and touching oily BCG's but guess I should assemble with another upper and see. Try a couple BCG's make sure the upper is usable.   

These 2 highlighted dimensions match my sig barrel to a tee. 

image.thumb.png.9f3ae13416de5b8f89a950e5b5ffcf7c.png

Edit: Last post just for conversation, a little late not thinking straight. There is no large frame standard tube for this length, only small frame. Armalite calls the hand guard AR-10/ M15 6" Carbine  but can't see that it fits any of their 10's. 9-3/4" vs 10-1/16" sounds quite similar to the 11-3/4" vs 12-1/16" tube for midlength (or AR10 Carbine?). 

AR-10® / M-15™ 6” BLACK CARBINE HANDGUARD WITH DOUBLE HEAT SHIELD
Edited by Albroswift

21 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

11 1/8". How far did you move the gas port rearward?

I remember that, mine was actually 11-3/16. Drilled new hole to the spec on the drawing above, .295 off the shoulder, or just a little over 1" back from original location. Math works out, just getting rummy.

I should assemble it completely, shoot it, then disassemble, degrease (again) , blast (again), and finish but boy that would be a lot of work! Just going to go for it. I do have extra new upper and clean new BCG so will double check with that but I think I'm good. 

Thanks

Edit: Just double checked, 1.165" center to center so a little under 1-3/16", so  10" to 10-1/16" tube pretty close.

Now I have an extra 11-1/8" to 11-3/16" tube now if anyone wants one. 

Edited by Albroswift

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

You are right it was 11 -3/16" not 11 -1/8'

Seems like some of the first Sig barrels needed a shorter one some of the brothers were saying back before the real buying frenzy started. 

3 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I just may have a place for that. :thumbup:

Let me know, all yours.

43 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

Seems like some of the first Sig barrels needed a shorter one some of the brothers were saying back before the real buying frenzy started.

All the SIG 12.5" barrels that I helped figure out numbers on came out one of 2 ways, only.  It was an 11.000" gas tube, or it was a 11.250" gas tube.  No other gas tube lengths showed up in those discussions.  So, if this is that SIG barrel...   But, you re-drilled, so it's different. 

Just now, 98Z5V said:

All the SIG 12.5" barrels that I helped figure out numbers on came out one of 2 ways, only.  It was an 11.000" gas tube, or it was a 11.250" gas tube.  No other gas tube lengths showed up in those discussions.  So, if this is that SIG barrel...   But, you re-drilled, so it's different. 

Easy way to figure it, because all gas tubes are made the same exact way, dimensionally...   Center of cam pin cutout to center of gas port (mounted barrel), then add 0.600" to that length that you get.

Every gas tube goes another 0.600" to it's end - past the gas port in it. 

14 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Had to go back out and check, still have have one from the last group order from WOA, 11-1/8" on the nose. The one I made was closer to 11-3/16". May be one of the reasons the barrels were $49.95. Anyway, After the re-drill to AR-15 spec above, 10-1/16"