• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bore Scopes-Teslong, Depstech etc.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had one for a couple years, don't remember the brand, but one nice use is to look in the bore and check alignment of the gas port with the gas block. you can see right up in there nicely. Take it to the range.  The one I have you focus the right angle mirror, or remove. Seems to have a pretty short focal plane. Light level adjusts.

Some photos looking down my muzzle loader after a good soap and water bucket cleaning, and some milling looking at the takedown recess at a less then 0.001 step. They work pretty good for a close up camera. 

Flash hole

20200601-133858.thumb.jpg.1f1950312cc7b19d808f4e3f2210b5a2.jpg

20200601-134018.thumb.jpg.cda33f8beb0535745c6fb54306d8d918.jpg

milling

80-Step.thumb.jpg.dbd4ab041f9347660f66cfc0e9a3ef0e.jpg

6 hours ago, Lane said:

I don't think you can see a difference in headspace from that vantage point. I was planning to measure the max neck length I could cram in some 300 Blackout builds though; and that would be done with pictures like those you took (and ideally a measuring scale). 

Someone else is welcome to chime in on this. But headspace is measured between the bolt face and the datum line on the shoulder of the cartridge. Even if you ended up with a bolt that doesn't close on the cartridge; the borescope view should be the same, as the cartridge is jammed up against the shoulder inside the chamber already... So that distance from the tip of the neck to the ridge in the chamber is an allowance for longer case neck. Since they stretch over time. I'm guessing based on that picture that you could probably go a hair over max length (assuming what's inside is trimmed to min length already).

Yes you are probably right Lane.  The flaw in my strategy of possibly seeing a difference between a properly headspaced brass and a Tight Brass is the fact that Ejectors will push the loose one tight and the tight one is already tight. I’d have to take the ejectors out and somehow make sure the brass stayed tight to bolt face.  Not worth the trouble.I might have to just rent the gauges again.  Borescope can be used to keep an eye on copper build up and other miscellaneous.  

31 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

Thanks i will look for both of them

Finally found confirmation the Knockout has been discontinued by manufacturer 😢. The Outters brand at Wal-Mart is fukn garbage,  don't waste the $$. The Otis foam works pretty decent.

https://otistec.com/foaming-bore-cleaner/

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Can't remember what I was using before this as it was a bottle I bought in 1979. Bought this a few years back when I ran out. This has that same nasty stuff, ammonia and such, it does work good just clean up well behind it.

IMG_4323.thumb.jpg.99a0dbdae430b05e1f0d374b71d907f5.jpg

Barnes makes some good products. i probably have several guns i need to get the copper off.

9 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Nice & quick! Think our forum here bought a fair amount of their stock in the past week 😂🤣

There were 19 left in stock a few minutes ago; then I ordered another (can't say no at $16). Now there are 18 left in stock...

2 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Oh crap, an inventory count down......I remember what I did when that started on those Sig 716 barrels........schit that worked out pretty good, I better go check inventory..... at least I can't hit some stupid number on one order, that will slow me down a bit.

6 monthes from now when we're  all staring at a stack of bore cameras setting in the corner of the gun bench......WTF?!😂🤣

With so many cameras on hand, and coming in. I think it's time to grind down the end of a few mirror attachments at measured lengths. That's the only way to get a good focus through a gas port from what I can gather. Hadn't fully thought it through; a gas block without a gas tube installed would be easy to align with a borescope. Just mark the position. I don't have any builds in that state to check; but I'm sure someone else can show off with a barrel, a gas block, and a Depstech camera. 

Also still waiting for @Belt Fed to post some pictures of a million round barrel. That's what I'm curious about.

20 minutes ago, Lane said:

Also still waiting for @Belt Fed to post some pictures of a million round barrel.

That AR180 has many thousands through it. i have an MG34 barrel that has a slew of ammo through it. probably all kinds, and probably corrosive too. it's in a safe somewhere. those old war weapons i have no clue how many been through them.

8 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

That AR180 has many thousands through it. i have an MG34 barrel that has a slew of ammo through it. probably all kinds, and probably corrosive too.

The corrosives are what I'm most curious about. But high round counts could be really interesting too.

Albroswift's nasty muzzle loader images are what I mean here... That's a lot of red iron oxide; Fe2O3!

12 hours ago, Lane said:

With so many cameras on hand, and coming in. I think it's time to grind down the end of a few mirror attachments at measured lengths. That's the only way to get a good focus through a gas port from what I can gather. Hadn't fully thought it through; a gas block without a gas tube installed would be easy to align with a borescope. Just mark the position. I don't have any builds in that state to check; but I'm sure someone else can show off with a barrel, a gas block, and a Depstech camera. 

Also still waiting for @Belt Fed to post some pictures of a million round barrel. That's what I'm curious about.

I have a set of Rt angle mirrors for my Teslong borescope I just screw them on or off to get a good focused picture on my PC monitor or laptop, I haven't needed to use it on the Iphone.

Teslong Mirrors Set for Rifle Borescope, Only NTG Barrel Bore Scope, with 5mm, 7mm, 8.3mm and 12mm Diameter, Fit .22.308.38.50 and More Calibers Barrel

image.png.3f285c2f83da5cbc78d9ca10475b8f1f.png

Edited by mrmackc