• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Accurized AR Match, 25 Sep 21.

98Z5V

Here I am again, out-kicking my coverage, and talking about something that hasn't happened yet... 

Me, @JBMatt, DirtBike Tommy, and @BigNate are all signed up and in Sqd 4 for the next shoot, this Saturday, 25 Sep.  Doesn't matter how we do, when it's all said and done, because we'll finish at Wild Horse West for Bloody Mary's and a burger, and pick on each other for how bad we sucked in the match...   :thumbup::lmao:

The story will continue, the results will be fun - and no matter what, it's a hoot every single time.   :hail:

https://www.wildhorsewest.com/

Edited by 98Z5V

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Scuba Steve signed up this month to shoot with us, so this will be his first match.  He's shooting a 5.56 gun, and it's a blessing that he's not trying to enter Tinkerbell, and shoot bowling balls...   :laffs:

the time limits would make tinker bell a challenge to run, but it would still be very entertaining to watch. 

Well, we all did HORRIBLE today.  Even Matt.  He was just a little bit LESS horrible than the rest of us.  :laffs:

It sucked.  It was the most fun I've had all month, doing absolutely terrible job at something...  :lmao:

I timed out on every stage, didn't clean a single stage.  Came close, down to the last target or two, in a couple of them, but it was still a hoot!   @JBMatt got some good pics and vids.  I'll get more information in here after I look at all the info.

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Well, we all did HORRIBLE today.  Even Matt.  He was just a little bit LESS horrible than the rest of us.  :laffs:

It sucked.  It was the most fun I've had all month, doing absolutely terrible job at something...  :lmao:

I timed out on every stage, didn't clean a single stage.  Came close, down to the last target or two, in a couple of them, but it was still a hoot!   @JBMatt got some good pics and vids.  I'll get more information in here after I look at all the info.

LOL… I was all giddy because I sucked a tiny bit less than last month (4 more hits than last month).  

Had a blast… learned a couple of things… screwed some stuff up including distracting Matt by babbling about the timer while timing one of his rounds… 

‘It was a good morning.

For whatever reason, this was a tough match for us. Not sure the reason, but it wasn't for lack of training with @98Z5V. 🍻 :laffs: We just couldn't get started. I ended up cleaning the last 3 of the 5 stages. The weather was ideal. Can't use that as an excuse. 

I want to point out part of what makes doing this so interesting to me. The way that like minded people can look at the same thing and have 2 different ideas of the best way to do something. I'm not saying that any way is right or wrong, because everyone's comfort level with different positions is different.  I'm just saying it's something I notice. I didn't get many pics but I did get enough video to compare Stage 3 between @98Z5V and me. 

@98Z5V started prone and transitioned to kneeling. He went 7 hits for 10 shots but timed out. He took 23 seconds to engage his first target, however he hit 4 targets with 5 shots, including a cold bore hit. 

I started standing and transitioned to prone. My cold bore shot/impact was at 4 seconds. I cleaned the station with 12 shots to make 8 hits. 

Not saying either way was gooder than the other but if @98Z5V hadn't taken his sweet ass time to get going, he would have cleaned the stage as he was EXTREMELY accurate from his chosen firing positions. 

Those of you that are coming to the Fall Shoot, we'll have plenty of opportunities of similar things for you to try out and play with. To have fun, but most importantly to realize what it actually takes to shoot uncomfortably. And do it well. You'll be able to get a handle on what your actual proficiency is. It's been eye opening for me. I'm not as good as I think I am or would like to be, for sure. Some of these guys are absolute animals. 

Just because you have a sub MOA rifle doesn't necessarily mean that its going to make you a better shooter. It definitely helps, but the loose nut behind the stock has to be tight as well. 

Enjoy the pics, fellas. I look forward to the feedback. 

Screenshot_20210926-111829_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210926-111655_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210926-112327_Signal.jpg

Screenshot_20210926-112521_Signal.jpg

20210925_093149.jpg

Edited by JBMatt

Talking with @JBMatt, there were some scoring discrepancies with both he and I.  He didn't get credit for some of his hits, and he noticed that on Stage 3, I was credited with 4 hits, and I really went 7 out of 8 that stage.  We'll try to figure out what's up, but I don't think anything will come of it.  I had a busy-ass weekend after the match, and still haven't even looked at the scores yet.  I'll get the match info stage info and descriptions together and post them in here next.  It was a good course.  Like I said, I've never had so much fun doing an absolutely shiitty job at something...   :bitchslap::laffs:

^^^   On Stage 1, with that bike.  They did GREAT on it, they really did.  You could easily tell who was used to moving "in a fucked up situation" and had experience, as such.  There were lots of guys that just got up from the bike to "move left" to the shooting matt, and they'd damn near trip over the braces that were welded to that bastard-of-a-shooting-platform...  

Teaches you TWO things...  Know where you are, what you have to move around - IF you have to move (and we HAD to move), but also, put your fucking gun on safe ANYTIME you have to move.  That should be automatic, in your brainpan, but it isn't for alot of guys.  If putting that thing on safe anytime you break position isn't ingrained in your memory, then TRAIN.  The only time you move, and your gun isn't on safe - is if you're moving AND shooting at the same time - and that's 2-Way Range Rules.  No other excuse. 

I FUCKING CRINGED every single time I saw a dude get tripped up on the braces for that bike.  It wasn't pretty.

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I FUCKING CRINGED every single time I saw a dude get tripped up on the braces for that bike.  It wasn't pretty.

You beat me to it...  I adjusted where I was standing a couple of times - watching folks catch their foot on that brace while transition with a loaded rifle.   I honestly don't remember for sure - but I think that I caught a foot on it myself.   This was one of those things where the exercise / competition (training) was very real - and in the moment my first thought was "man - that's stupid to have a transition that runs across that trip hazard... "   

Monday morning quarterbacking being what it is - I'd think it would be good to have that kind of stuff - but that it REALLY calls for some additional controls around where folks were standing / watching.   Being 90 degrees to the side of that shooting position is cool when folks are shooting from it...  but when they turn 90 degrees to their left to transition to the next position - moving with a loaded rifle - and trip - well, that is not a good situation. 

As to the habit of flipping to safe on transition - I need to get better in that space.  As I said when we were at lunch - years of carrying DAO hand guns and decades of my only rifle shooting happening from fixed positions with no transitions has resulted in the loss of muscle memory and habit around moving rifles between safe and fire.  I feel like I'm solid with trigger finger discipline, muzzle management, etc. - but "flip to safe immediately before transitioning and flip off safe immediately before firing" is a habit that I need to rebuild.   I'll ask all the guys out there to be in my ear about this if you see me violating that rule.