• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR 10 A2 issue, need help!

Super Dick

Have an original Armalite AR10 A2 and it has an issue. It fires and cycles live rounds fine. It is when you say.... fire 3 rounds and put the safety on take the mag out and try and pull the charging handle back to unload the weapon, it will not eject the live round. It is like frozen. I have to take a piece of wood and a mallet and whack the charging handle to exert enough force to get it to eject the unfired round. The ammo is std lake city ball ammo, nothing special. Any thoughts? It cycles live unfired rounds with the charging handle fine. I am puzzled. Thank you for any help. 

Gonna need some pictures of the BCG, spent brass and the live round. Look close at the lugs and the cam pin for any unusual wear, check in the upper receiver for wear marks as well. I assume you've cleaned and inspected the chamber? How many rounds through the rifle? I remember my AR-10 being super tight when new. Have you tried mortaring it instead of hitting the CH? A little easier on parts, not that you should need to.

10 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Gonna need some pictures of the BCG, spent brass and the live round. Look close at the lugs and the cam pin for any unusual wear, check in the upper receiver for wear marks as well. I assume you've cleaned and inspected the chamber? How many rounds through the rifle? I remember my AR-10 being super tight when new. Have you tried mortaring it instead of hitting the CH? A little easier on parts, not that you should need to.

This rifle has had not 100 rds through it its entire life. BCG is stock Armalite and lubed. Extractor works fine. It is a cold live round, sticking in chamber at issue. It isn't the chamber being hot either very few rds fired in succession ie (3) the 4th wont come out manually. I can fire the 4th rd that is still chambered and it ejects the spent case. So maybe being really tight is the issue. Thanks for your insight. 

8 hours ago, DNP said:

Just going through the symptoms. It cycles fine by hand, but jams it tight when fired, cycles when you’re firing it though. You say you put it on safe and drop the mag…will it do the same with safety off and the mag still in?

Yes that round is stuck mag it or out. Safety selector is not a factor either. It will come out by firing round and ejects fine. 

2 hours ago, Super Dick said:

Yes that round is stuck mag it or out. Safety selector is not a factor either. It will come out by firing round and ejects fine. 

Ok, I had to ask because they were in there like details of what was happening.  Always want to rule out what is fluff and what is detail. 

how many rounds through the rifle?  Will it empty a mag?  Check headspace and polish the chamber. 

edit, sorry…I just read up the thread 100 rounds through it. 

Edited by DNP

2 hours ago, Super Dick said:

This rifle has had not 100 rds through it its entire life.

So it's still new basically, had to have lots of time in the rack then, was it field stripped and cleaned before firing? gotta ask. 

There won't be much there but is the wear on the bolt lugs even? I would still hold out hope it is just tight and a few more boxes of ammo will settle things in. Lube it up and get some dry fire practice, couple hundred cycles might help, much funner to just live fire though. :thumbup:

Gotta say I expected a little more attitude in the replies with a screen name like @Super Dick :laffs:

1 hour ago, blue109 said:

So the piece of 2x4 we used to beat the bolt open every shot wasn't factory?

No. No, No. Don't go exaggerating things Fuker. It was a "no-bounce" hammer that we were tapping the bolt back with. :laffs:

Pay no attention to some of these clowns @Super Dick, they're just not happy sometimes unless they're slinging $hit at others. Luckily.....I never engage in that type of behavior. :nutkick:

For your rifle. Something you can try is to soak your BCG in a pan of Mobil 1 overnight (completely submerged). When you pull it out, only dry off the face of the bolt, and drop her into the rifle. You'll literally be slinging oil when you first start running it. These large framed AR's like to run "wet" during break-in.

And......it can never hurt.

3 hours ago, Rsquared said:

No. No, No. Don't go exaggerating things Fuker. It was a "no-bounce" hammer that we were tapping the bolt back with. :laffs:

Pay no attention to some of these clowns @Super Dick, they're just not happy sometimes unless they're slinging $hit at others. Luckily.....I never engage in that type of behavior. :nutkick:

2 hours ago, DNP said:

Lmao. It does seem to be getting deep around here. 

All good Rsquared! Thanks! I'll try that. 

11 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

So it's still new basically, had to have lots of time in the rack then, was it field stripped and cleaned before firing? gotta ask. 

There won't be much there but is the wear on the bolt lugs even? I would still hold out hope it is just tight and a few more boxes of ammo will settle things in. Lube it up and get some dry fire practice, couple hundred cycles might help, much funner to just live fire though. :thumbup:

Gotta say I expected a little more attitude in the replies with a screen name like @Super Dick :laffs:

I'm going on the assumption it is just tight from the consensus of "expert" opinion. Thank you all and Merry Christmas. I just don't like being a super dick on the Holidays!  I will post to this thread when I run about 5 boxes thru it and see if that mitigates the situation. 

Had issues with my AR10T B series with stuck cases, but only on fired rounds, never live rounds. Soaked BCG in Mobile 1 synthetic (as mentioned above) for a couple of days & also noticed chamber looked a little rough in a few spots w/the bore camera. Took a mop and a little Isso paste to it & polished it up nicely , haven't Had a problem since.

46 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

also noticed chamber looked a little rough in a few spots w/the bore camera. Took a mop and a little Isso paste to it & polished it up nicely , haven't Had a problem since.

I think this is the way to go in this case.  Get some Flitz all over a bore mop, chuck that thing up in the drill, and polished that chamber a little bit.   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V