• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Palmetto State Armory PA-10 Gen 3 - Bolt carrier very tight

AR-Bobby

I just recently purchased a PA-10 and I can cycle the gun when empty (after I oiled the bolt with some Weapon Shield) but when i used a couple dummy rounds in a PMAG, it will chamber a round into full battery but it is extremely difficult to pull the bolt and cycle it manually with the charging handle. Shouldn't i be able to cycle it manually? Maybe I need more lube oil or a different lube like Slip 2000? It almost seems like the round is stuck in there and the bolt just won't move. I did get it to eject the round after i removed the magazine but it was still very difficult. Seems like the tolerances are very tight. Or maybe the dummy rounds are off-spec crap.....still i would think that i should be able to cycle it manually with the dummy rounds. 

Welcome to the forum.  I am not trying to talk down to you with the rest of my post.  You did not indicate your level of firearm knowledge, so I will keep it pretty basic for now.

Have you shot the rifle yet?  If not, I would not worry much about it being tight.  Things will get looser as it breaks in some.  I would recommend soaking the BCG in some Mobil-1 overnight before you head to the shoot it.  Wipe off the bolt face and let a little of the excess drip off.  Then put it in the rifle with a lot of lube still on it.  As long as it appears safe, shoot your rifle before doing anything other than lube.  

Also, you might look at some of the other threads in the PSA section to see what kind of problems you might experience when shooting.  PSA can make a 308AR that functions normal most of the time.  However, there are some issues that regularly present themselves.  It would be wise to be aware of them as you shoot.  

Thank you so much for the reply and no need for the disclaimer, as I am very appreciative of any tips and know-how from individuals that have experience with the AR-10 - and almost everyone on here probably has more experience with the AR-10 than I do, LOL!

I have experience with the AR-15 but this is my very first AR-10 rifle. My AR-15 is about 10 years old, made by a company called DoubleStar and is an older style M-4 carbine that functions silky smooth and maybe I'm just spoiled but the BCG on that rifle seems to slide very smoothly and i've never had a jam or problem with that rifle. Also, the ejector on that AR-15 BCG seems quite a bit more "springy" with more give if one presses down on it. By contrast, my new AR-10 has an extremely stiff ejector that can be depressed but is much much harder to push down. I understand that moving up to .308 from the little .223 means that things need to be more robust but it's quite a bit more stiff than I was expecting. 

I guess you're right, I really need to get to the range and shoot the darn thing before worrying about any problems. I will check some other posts. So Mobil 1? Is that what everyone is using these days? 

Thanks again for the reply and hope all is well in TX.

Just a bit of nomenclature, AR-10 is a proprietary term for the Armalite large frame AR.  PSA makes the PA10 as a large frame AR.  Many of the rest of the 308ARs are DPMS compatible.  The reason we make the distinction is that there is no military spec for the large frame AR and there are many different parts that will only fit certain manufacturer's rifles.  PSAs PA10 is loosely DPMS compatible but with many proprietary parts.  Proper terminology ensures we can recommend correct fixes to the problems that may occur.  It is not as easy as the AR15, but that's part of the fun.

Mobil1 works well for lube.  It's designed for high heat and friction.  Give us a range report when you get one.

Thanks you both for the comments. 

I did a couple hours of research on using Mobil 1 as a gun lubricant, and wow, do I feel like a fool!

With few exceptions, from what I can tell, most of the experienced folks out there seem to say that it runs every bit as good and even better than most gun oils. Summing up a few of the comments in response to shock and resistance to using synthetic oil as a gun lube: "you use Mobil 1 in a $40,000 machine that runs at sustained high heat, pressure and extreme friction but you're worried about using it as a lube on your gun"? LOL. Mobil 1 is one of the best engineered lubricants ever and has added corrosion inhibitors too. 

Wow, I feel like a total sucker who got totally drawn into the gun oil marketing hype. ☹️

Do either of you recommend any particular viscosity? 5W-30, or 0W-30 perhaps?

Thanks again for the helpful info, I really appreciate it.

2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Just a bit of nomenclature, AR-10 is a proprietary term for the Armalite large frame AR.  PSA makes the PA10 as a large frame AR.  Many of the rest of the 308ARs are DPMS compatible.  The reason we make the distinction is that there is no military spec for the large frame AR and there are many different parts that will only fit certain manufacturer's rifles.  PSAs PA10 is loosely DPMS compatible but with many proprietary parts.  Proper terminology ensures we can recommend correct fixes to the problems that may occur.  It is not as easy as the AR15, but that's part of the fun.

Mobil1 works well for lube.  It's designed for high heat and friction.  Give us a range report when you get one.

Thank you for the clarification on this! I was assuming that it would be like the AR-15 world where everything is standardized, but I was so wrong! Learning a little more each day. 

Welcome aboard, man - read the PSA section well.  I've put a ton of reseaerch into these things in the last few years, and know what the solutions are for the problems that PSA ships out the door.

Hit this one, too, so you understand the background on why I say what I say about these large-frame ARs...

Edited by 98Z5V

On 1/6/2022 at 10:07 PM, 98Z5V said:

Welcome aboard, man - read the PSA section well.  I've put a ton of reseaerch into these things in the last few years, and know what the solutions are for the problems that PSA ships out the door.

Hit this one, too, so you understand the background on why I say what I say about these large-frame ARs...

I will definitely check these out! Thanks for the info!

RANGE REPORT: Well I finally got a chance to go to the range today. I soaked the BCG in Mobil 1 for about a week (today was the first day I had a chance to get to the range) and I took it out and let it drain, wiped the bolt face off and sopped a little of the excess off, and placed it into the rifle wet. Manually worked it a few times then went to the range. I fired a total of 110 rounds (that was all my shoulder could stand) with no malfunctions of any sort! The action seems much smoother now and the Mobil 1 is great stuff! 

Edited by AR-Bobby

I should mention that the rounds that I fired were Federal Gold Cup Match 168 grain, Sierra Match King, Federal Gold Cup Match 175 grain, and Prvi Partizan 168 grain Match ammo that I had in bulk from almost 10 years ago. I will say that the rifle prefers the 168 grain bullets over the 175 grain. I put a Swamp Fox Arrowhead LPVO 1-8x power scope on it and it seems to work well. The rifle is more accurate than I am (i'm very rusty). 

Thanks Ron! Just wondering since you're in AZ, are there still places to shoot out there in the desert? I remember folks in AZ used to be able to shoot on public federal lands in certain parts of the remote desert but with all the development going on I'm not sure if that's still an option.

44 minutes ago, AR-Bobby said:

Thanks Ron! Just wondering since you're in AZ, are there still places to shoot out there in the desert? I remember folks in AZ used to be able to shoot on public federal lands in certain parts of the remote desert but with all the development going on I'm not sure if that's still an option.

Although I don't live in AZ, I can verify that there are public lands where you can shoot in the desert.  I was there last fall.

IMG_20211112_172049.thumb.jpg.e38b5b74d0b046c1ddba19d8a553773e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
8 hours ago, Mark Bakara said:

I have a psa gen 3 upper  and lower. What bcg will I need to get ? Are they  dpms compatible?

This is dpms compatible. What barrel do you have? The complete pa10 rifle from psa ships with a toolcraft bcg. I dont have hands on experience with the psa pa10 but this is the info I found on the website.