• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Working with little cheerios

dpete

Ok, so not really cheerios but Trailboss powder sure reminds me of them.  I've been getting my reloading going again the past couple weeks.  About 1000 rounds or so.  The last 400 have been 110gr Varmageddon subsonics for my Ruger Ranch 300 BLK, the bunny fart loads.  4.4 (rounded up to 4.44) grains of TB gets those little buggers to an average of 990 fps out of the 16" barrel with good accuracy. 

I read all the time where people are running their subs as close to 1050fps as they can get thinking they have to be just under the sound barrier for best results, or just looking for the most speed and staying under it.  For me, in two different rifles, with four different weights of subs the sweet spot for accuracy has been 970-990 fps.  This load being the 990.  There is no way this load will cycle an AR but in this bolt action RARR its stupid quiet.

Next on the agenda once it warms up enough outside to not freeze sitting at the range, I'm going to see what these 110 subs do to milk jugs seeing as they are designed as varmint bullets and explode on impact at normal 300 BLK velocities.

1196221166_02252214131.thumb.jpg.31827415f0f254d1c475ef8bd1427efe.jpg

The scale reads to the nearest .02 gr and I overshot the 4.44 on this one, :bitchslap:.  After using this scale I'll never think of the usual +/- .1 gr accuracy of most scales as accurate.  You can't imagine how much powder difference there is over that .2 gr variation.  Maybe I'm to anal about it but oh well.  3 rings of Tb is about .02 gr.     +/- .1 gr = +/- 15 rings if my math is correct.

119082669_0225221413a1.thumb.jpg.2fa63fa4af5204f824e588391742f0d2.jpg

100 bunny fart loads reads to go.

1356535038_02262212361.thumb.jpg.27e191329e54202a05a8a056119b7013.jpg

50 yard target.

945454494_03142113111.thumb.jpg.fdcf48a8d85694f989f28b4715e263ce.jpg

The rifle.

D, best thing I've ever done for my reloading was this, right here:

RCBS ChargeMasterLite.  Most accurate of the modern scales, and you can pull it for $230~$280, depending on which sale you catch at what time.  It blows away the Hornady in the same price range, and the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 (it's bigger brother), based on reviews.  Mine rarely fuks up, and it really is badass.  Been running it for almost a year now.  You could bump up to around $900, and pull that RCBS Match-Super Accurate thing that they have now, but to me, it's just not worth it. 

This is the one, brother...

Chargemaster Lite | RCBS

I've been thinking about taking up reloading.  I like the thought of having the option.  But I also question whether I'd just be better off using the money it'd cost to get the equipment versus making the investment in a lot of factory loaded ammo.  I guess I'm wondering if a good scale runs $250, what's the ballpark for solid equipment capable of accurately reloading 3 or 4 calibers?  At this point, I don't even know what all equipment is needed.  Something to punch out old primers, something to clean and check dimensions of old brass, something to measure powder, something to seat bullets.  That's a helluva learning curve for a 55yo.  I think it was easier to teach myself how to make beer and wine in my 20s ...  

@98Z5V  I hear ya brother.  I've tossed around one like that for quite a while now, but I can't get past the fact that they are +/- .1 gr for accuracy.  That can be one hell of a lot of powder difference in a case as small as a BLK, .223, or a Grendel.  Maybe it doesn't make that huge a difference in reality but I still can't wrap my mind around it.  My load for 110 gr Supers for my BLK is 19.1 gr, and that +/- .1 gr accuracy is possibly a 1%+ variation across the loading session,  19.0 to 19.2.  My scale is slow to react and read, but my initial powder drop takes literally a second and then trickling up to the required weight takes the time.  I've used a buddy's Chargemaster something(don't know the model) helping him out and it was mind numbing watching it spin the tube dropping the charge then slowing down to trickle, then hitting the intended weight, and going over, then saying "Done".   Or dropping the charge, trickling up to close to the intended weight and stopping, basically saying "Close Enough".

What I have may be slow but I know exactly whats in each case.  Within .02 gr anyway.    :thumbup:

7 hours ago, dpete said:

@98Z5V  I hear ya brother.  I've tossed around one like that for quite a while now, but I can't get past the fact that they are +/- .1 gr for accuracy. 

You'll see it when it happens, brother.  Mine is off maybe 3 times in 100 drops, and it shows it low or high.

It doesn't mean that you'll always hit 19.1gr, and what it says is +/- anything - just that once in awhile it might drop +/- from what you set it.  When it drops high or low, it'll show you right there on the scale.  You dump that one back in and run it again.   :thumbup:

Fine ball powder, it never misses.  Extruded stick, in chunks, it might miss 3 in a hundred, so those get dumped and run again. 

49 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You'll see it when it happens, brother.  Mine is off maybe 3 times in 100 drops, and it shows it low or high.

It doesn't mean that you'll always hit 19.1gr, and what it says is +/- anything - just that once in awhile it might drop +/- from what you set it.  When it drops high or low, it'll show you right there on the scale.  You dump that one back in and run it again.   :thumbup:

Fine ball powder, it never misses.  Extruded stick, in chunks, it might miss 3 in a hundred, so those get dumped and run again. 

You bastidge!  :thefinger:   You just had to go and say things like that!  They are on clearance now at Graf and Sons for $245 because the Chargemaster Link is coming out that has bluetooth technology(why do I need that?).  Grafs also had .243 and .270 bullets in stock that I need for the key rings, so I pulled the trigger on all three.  You fukker.  :laffs: Now I'll see how it measures up to the scale and system I have going now.   I owe you one hell of an enable.  :lmao:

1 minute ago, dpete said:

You bastidge!  :thefinger:   You just had to go and say things like that!  They are on clearance now at Graf and Sons for $245 because the Chargemaster Link is coming out that has bluetooth technology(why do I need that?).  Grafs also had .243 and .270 bullets in stock that I need for the key rings, so I pulled the trigger on all three.  You fukker.  :laffs: Now I'll see how it measures up to the scale and system I have going now.   I owe you one hell of an enable.  :lmao:

The RCBS ChargeMaster Lite is the baddest scale out there right now, and blows away the ChargeMaster 1500, and the Hornady scale, by far.  The only thing that can smoke it is that new RCBS "Precision" scale, that runs about $900.  I don't need $900 of scale-drama in my life right now, or maybe ever...   :lmao:

You won't be disappointed.  If you are, I'll extend you my money-back guarantee, and buy it back from you, for all you had to pay for it, plus the shipping and tax that you had to incur to get it to you, plus the shipping to me.  You won't be out a penny, brother.

And I'll be running two of them...   :banana::laffs:

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

The RCBS ChargeMaster Lite is the baddest scale out there right now, and blows away the ChargeMaster 1500, and the Hornady scale, by far.  The only thing that can smoke it is that new RCBS "Precision" scale, that runs about $900.  I don't need $900 of scale-drama in my life right now, or maybe ever...   :lmao:

You won't be disappointed.  If you are, I'll extend you my money-back guarantee, and buy it back from you, for all you had to pay for it, plus the shipping and tax that you had to incur to get it to you, plus the shipping to me.  You won't be out a penny, brother.

And I'll be running two of them...   :banana::laffs:

DEAL!      lmao          :laffs:

On 3/1/2022 at 2:22 AM, 98Z5V said:

D, best thing I've ever done for my reloading was this, right here:

RCBS ChargeMasterLite.  Most accurate of the modern scales, and you can pull it for $230~$280, depending on which sale you catch at what time.  It blows away the Hornady in the same price range, and the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 (it's bigger brother), based on reviews.  Mine rarely fuks up, and it really is badass.  Been running it for almost a year now.  You could bump up to around $900, and pull that RCBS Match-Super Accurate thing that they have now, but to me, it's just not worth it. 

This is the one, brother...

Chargemaster Lite | RCBS

The mailman brought a box today and this is what was in it.  Its on the bench warming up as I write this and I'll have the first loads out of it yet this afternoon.  I'll see how it runs.