• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Spring Shoot 2022 AAR

98Z5V

11 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

I have to make a test trip in the summer, check how easy it goes crossing the border with guns( plus once on record other trips should be even smoother.) Also I can cache some of @98Z5V Crown Royal that's collecting dust( I can only bring so much in on each visit)

Bring that stuff here  it is safe from me I am a rum Drinker..

Thursday - March 17th 4:00am EST

I rolled out of bed, having had a solid 2 hours of sleep after preparing for the trip by doing laundry late into the night. Having put my gear and suitcase in the truck the night before, I threw my clothes on and headed to the airport. On this trip my case wasn't TSA inspected, which is both unusual and lucky for me, because I tossed a hundred rounds or so of boxed 200gr subsonic .308 ammo in there just for a SDTF demonstration. I didn't particularly care if it got tossed, because it was dirt cheap and not a necessity. Turns out it didn't matter anyways, my case went straight to the plane.

When I arrived in PHX, I walked straight from the plane to the luggage office, and from the luggage office straight to my ride with barely any wait whatsoever. Kim was there to pick me up along with her daughter Rita, and son Ephram, all of whom are extremely cool. I hadn't spent much time with Rita or Ephram, but we got really well acquainted over the weekend, which was an odd mixture of exciting, hilarious, terrifying, and damaging to my delicate psyche. They're my kind of warped, and I love 'em dearly for it.

So I rolled in about 10:00am on Thursday and we rolled out towards the Casa De Pain, planning the day or so of prep that had already been arranged for Thursday. Little did I know that "Mr. Shiny Objects" had already decided to capitalize on his chance to gain an extra day in the dirt by leaving for camp on Thursday evening... So shortly before sundown on Thursday, we had camp set up and a few choice targets ready, and Tom made us an excellent supper on his fancy new camp kit. 

Friday - March 18th ~7am CMT

I woke up to the sound of Tom and JB Matt fervently hoping to cold-bore the Mile. I'll tell ya right now, for all the smack that got talked before the shoot about how the Mile is "Old Hat", that Mile target laughed off it's fair share of near misses before it's luck ran out and it sucked up 200 grains of 300 Win Mag anger. Breakfast followed the Mile action, and the pistol course got set up as did the remainder of the rifle targets. We've got 100,~200,~300,~450,~650, ~720 yard IPSC silhouettes scattered across the desert floor for the rifle action, as well as some various small gongs at around 250. The rifles get broken out of the Pelican case, this year I focused on spending quality time with the MA TEN, and the Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor. We settled into all the usual comfortable shooting shennanigans until sundown, when the targets at distance got backlit for the usual nighttime fun. A few stragglers, mostly the usual suspects (locals and whatnot) had also rolled in by then. I decided that a nighttime demo of 200gr subsonic 308 ammo would be a great way to ding some close-range targets, and I spent a little bit of time reveling in how quiet that OPS INC 12th suppressor makes a subsonic round, and the contrasting noise of the 100 yard plate registering some subsonic 308 anger. It was awesome to see the enthusiasm that got generated by the demo, as well as witnessing the inherent need to want to giggle when the guests that got in on the fun got behind the gun to enjoy the Hollywood suppressor effect. Great times, got about 3 people working on reverse engineering subsonic 308 rounds to replicate the load. If I'm lucky, I may never have to buy subsonic 308 again.... I'll test you guys 308 subs completely free of charge, just for the record. After all the shooting tapered off a bit, we all engaged in some fireside fun and relaxation, and everybody went to bed at a fairly reasonable time, which worried me a little... but OK.

More to come....

On 3/25/2022 at 10:19 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

That is the part of the SDTF that keeps me coming back more than the shooting.  I still don't remember what I said to cause you to call me an assh0le, but I remember it was funny.

LOL... I don't remember either Doc, but I remember how bad I was hurting from how much I'd been laughing. It was probably something you said that made me lose control all over again.... Good times!

You have a way with the off-the-cuff one liners!

7 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

You have a way with the off-the-cuff one liners!

I have my moments, usually brought about by alcohol.  But I remember laughing so much that I hurt the next day.  Lol

We need to record those fireside chats for posterity.  They just don't need to be made available for everyone.  I have a job I want to keep.

On 3/25/2022 at 10:42 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

I have my moments, usually brought about by alcohol.

Oh yeah, you're also really good at throwing something I've said back at me at a moment where it's ironically hilarious.... I think that's what you did when I referred to you as... well, you know...

12 hours ago, DNP said:

I don’t care that much about the job, but I’m more than emotionally attached to the paycheck. 

While I like my job if I won the big lottery( up here the winnings are tax free :banana:) I'd quit my job .  As long as the company keeps the work interesting I'll stick around for the pay cheque.

5 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

While I like my job if I won the big lottery( up here the winnings are tax free :banana:) I'd quit my job .  As long as the company keeps the work interesting I'll stick around for the pay cheque.

4961FC0E-9870-48CB-A1F8-F7A6ED3D6355.gif

2 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

It was so much fun I would have done it for free if I wasn't so broke.