• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Wrapped or Naked

part of the reason why people like carbon fiber, it because it looks nice.

When I see a wrapped gun, i don't think a guy is protecting his stuff... I think he is hiding the scratches that are already there. What's wrong with scratches anyways? It shows that you at least use your stuff, and it isn't some safe queen.

part of the reason why people like carbon fiber, it because it looks nice.

When I see a wrapped gun, i don't think a guy is protecting his stuff... I think he is hiding the scratches that are already there. What's wrong with scratches anyways? It shows that you at least use your stuff, and it isn't some safe queen.

I don't own 1 gun that isn't either scratched or the bluing is wearing off from carrying it as a conceal carry gun.  :)  I know a lot of people who don't believe in popping a magazine in their pistol without pressing the mag release as they want to baby the gun.  Sorry, it's a tool and if it's that precious I don't need it.  Pop that magazine in and give it a swift tap to seat it.

I look at these guns the same as I do muscle cars. It's your's and what others prefer doesn't matter as much as what YOU prefer. Set it up the way that makes you happy and to heck with everyone else. You're the one who is operating it and possibly staking your life on it's functionality.

Wow, a lot of replies, site's been busy over the holidays....

I tend to agree about it being MY weapon, thus why I wrapped it anyway. The wrap is that self-clinging stuff so there's no adhesive to leave behind. I'm sure I won't leave it on their permanently, but along with a little protection from scratches, it also reduces some glare while hunting. Although .308 is definitely way overkill for varmint, I've taken it on a few nighttime predator excursions.....here is one victim taken at about 75-80 yds a few weeks ago...

IMG-20111108-00026.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I wrap my junk. :)

Really I wrap the entire front end of my R25.

1. I keeps the rifle quiet as I move and position it while hunting.  The aluminum FFT on the R25 is like a bell, even sliding a hand along it is loud.  Many of my stands are metal and instead of covering every one of them in pipe insulation I wrap my rifle.  This includes the barrel, when deer hunting barrel heat is not an issue.

2.  The "soft sticks to itself" wrap I use cuts glare.

3.  In the event of a field injury I have a handy source for bandage material.  One less thing to go into the "go to bag". 

I don't own 1 gun that isn't either scratched or the bluing is wearing off from carrying it as a conceal carry gun.  :)  I know a lot of people who don't believe in popping a magazine in their pistol without pressing the mag release as they want to baby the gun.  Sorry, it's a tool and if it's that precious I don't need it.  Pop that magazine in and give it a swift tap to seat it.

Damn is it good to hear someone say this.  I see so many people riding the charging handle or slide on their weapons at the range.  It's not a club, but weapons are made by Tiffanys either.

I will say I looked into getting multicam applied to my long rifle.  I've seen some photos of fielded weapons with it applied.  They disappear.  That's water transfer printing though, not tape.

• 2 months later...

i like the idea of temporary cammo, i can see how it may reduce the noise from blind hunting. But i also see how it could get snagged on brush while stalking. Whatever the case it seems to serve you well.

Amen to the post about scratches and wear on guns.  I use all of my guns, not just shoot them. Some have pretty much been dragged across alot hard country, and they have the scars to show it.  Scars give character and make a gun more interesting, imho.