• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What scope should I buy?

Hello friends, I have an 18” Gen 3 PA10 chambered in .308 from Palmetto. I’m trying to find out what scope is right for me…

I’ve read multiple blogs saying the Vortex optics Strike Eagle is the top entry-level rifle scope. These scopes are in the 600$ - 900$ range. That’s about 40% of what I invested in my rifle fyi... 

I don’t mind investing the money in a quality piece of hardware but I also don’t know if I need to pay an arm and a leg for a reliable scope…and even if I did, would serve me well for the purpose?

Ive see  cheaper scopes like UUQ 4-16x50 available on Amazon for like 150$. 

I’d like to hunt eventually. I live in WA state, it’s heavily forested. I’d like to learn how to properly sight in a scope too but I’ve never shot an actual rifle or used optics. I can’t imagine needing to take a shot longer than 600 yards for game. But what do I know - any recommendations? 

Much thanks 

PSA has those Strike Eagles at about $360 with a mount.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-strike-eagle-1-8x24-gen2-riflescope-w-ar-bdc3-reticle-vortex-sport-cantilever-30mm-ring-mount-2-offset.html

Bunch of places have been blowing out the Bushnell AR series scopes in that range and cheaper, Primary Arms brand scopes are a good value for the money as well, lots of choices there. I am not familiar with the scope you mentioned, post a link so we can see the details.

Thanks for the info jtallen. I see there’s a very affordable Vortex Sanora 4-12x44 . These seem like good specs for the price.

One of my concerns for cheaper scopes is the quality - like do they have greater parallax or failure to hold zero. Also where I live is very, very wet, should quality or brand be a concern with this in mind? 

Here’s the link to the scope I mentioned 

https://www.amazon.com/UUQ-Tactical-Illuminated-Holographic-Warranty/dp/B07JFWT67V/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=M254CSPIG2EO&keywords=uuq+scope&qid=1667446947&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjgyIiwicXNhIjoiNC41MSIsInFzcCI6IjMuNjQifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=uuq+scope%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-3

While I do own a couple of Vortex scopes, I'm a Leupold fan for larger caliber rifles, like the .308. Excellent clarity,tough as nails, and usually better eye relief at a lower weight than the competition.   Also made in the US and excellent warranty and customer service in the unlikely event you need it.

22 hours ago, SubsonicElf said:

Here’s the link to the scope I mentioned 

Don't do it would be my advice, can't get that much for the dollar beyond airsoft stuff, that looks like airsoft to me. I don't know about the Sonora, if they have the Vortex warranty you will always have a working scope.

15 hours ago, MtnMike said:

While I do own a couple of Vortex scopes, I'm a Leupold fan for larger caliber rifles, like the .308. Excellent clarity,tough as nails, and usually better eye relief at a lower weight than the competition.   Also made in the US and excellent warranty and customer service in the unlikely event you need it.

Agreed fully, and they have the same warranty as Vortex you just don’t hear about it cause they rarely have have issues needing warranty replacement. I’ve known guys that have bought broken Leupold scopes on the used market and sent them in and gotten them repaired or replaced for free. I’ve got a fixed 4x rimfire Leupold on my 22lr A-bolt, an older vari-x iic 3-9x50mm on my bushmaster Predator 5.56 and a Vx2 2-7x33mm on my Aero M5 308 that have been amazing for what they cost. I’ve also got a vortex diamondback 4-12x40 on a 7mmRM A-bolt and a vortex Strikefire rds and their 3x magnifier I rotate around that have performed pretty well. The biggest difference and reason I’m bigger fan of Leupold is their lens coatings vs vortex’s make a huge difference for me again sun washout at sunrise and sunset. It’s also nice knowing my money is going to paying the wages of another American. I’m thinking my next gun related purchase will be a newer Leupold to replace the diamondback on my deer rifle. 

That scope is an Airsofter's Wet Dream, right there...

UUQ 4-16x50 AO Rifle Scope Red/Green Illuminated Range Finder Reticle W/Green Laser - Holographic Reflex Red Dot Sight - 5 Brightness Modes Flashlight

DO NOT buy that for a real firearm.

Go see what Primary Arms has to offer, if you want some cheap(er) prices, but need some quality that won't let you down.  And still have a warranty on it. 

Thanks guys, I’m very glad I didn’t make the “air softer’s wet dream” purchase lol

With that said, I decided to buy the digital Wraith 4k max from SightMark. I know it’s less tried and true than many of your recommendations… but I like to do video editing and the IR might be fun.