• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tempting

Sisco

Just went through the article - that's a damn good write-up on it.  You're correct - it's tempting.   :thumbup:

I know a guy with a Tikka T3 right now - maybe he will chime in.  It's not that exact rifle from the article, but it's the platform. 

19 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

I have the TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor. An incredibly accurate and smooth rifle. Beautifully engineered and well executed in it's design, it's a masterpiece of form and function. I highly recommend it.

If I bite it will be by fall. Either 6.5 Creedmore or 300 Winchester Magnum. Pros and cons? 

On 2/24/2023 at 7:22 PM, Sisco said:

If I bite it will be by fall. Either 6.5 Creedmore or 300 Winchester Magnum. Pros and cons? 

There's no wrong choice there, I'd personally base it on ammo availability right now. I think you'll have less trouble finding good 300 Win Mag ammo than you will good 6.5 Creedmoor, but if you reload that's all a moot point.

10 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

There's no wrong choice there, I'd personally base it on ammo availability right now. I think you'll have less trouble finding good 300 Win Mag ammo than you will good 6.5 Creedmoor, but if you reload that's all a moot point.

may or may not reload. Probably start out with good quality factory ammo just to get a brass inventory. 

3 hours ago, Sisco said:

Depends on goals, brother, really.  What do you want to accomplish at the Fall Shoot?  We have a Mile target, a full 1760 yards.  We're working on putting a 2,000 yard target out there - just to push us a little more.  You might get the Mile with a 6.5 CM, but it kind of peters out around 1500 or 1600.  You'd need to push it, for those extra 260 or 160 yards - and that's if you're shooting 140 Match ammo, or better yet 147 Match ammo from it.

With the Win Mag, I load 225gr pills.  @JBMatt uses 220gr pills.  We can run that target down, with those.  We've seen guys get out there with 160gr stuff in a Win Mag, and there's not a chance it's gonna connect.  Not happening, without Divine Intervention.

So, planning a gun purchase...  What do you want that gun to do, based on what's coming up?...   If you want to chase this Mile, Win Mag is the answer.  However, this might be the only place you ever use it, to it's potential, and it's ginna need the right ammo to get that done.

If you want a really great gun that will get you a max of 1500 or 1600 supersonic, that 6.5 CM will do that.  It'll do anything under that with absolute ease, as well. 

My vote, in your situation - 6.5 CM.  Or, GO BIG OR GO HOME, and do the Win Mag, smash this thing out here, and be able to kill anything in North America, and many other Continents with it! 

But, that's a tough call.  Buy the gun that you'll use more, with what the gun can do.  :thumbup:

With what we do right in camp, we (right now) have steel out to 712 yards.  During SS23, we're putting in more steel at or pretty close to 775 yards.  We can run those distances right from the main firing line. 

If we want to do more, we can run over to the offset Long Range location, and set in the 850, 1000, 1100, 1200.  Maybe I try setting in the 1350 this time.  Don't know.  I've checked it, lasered it, but never set it up, because it sucks to get to.  That would all happen at the offset Long Range location, away from camp. 

My vote is still 6.5 CM for the gun.  The only thing hard for it to do, is go after the Mile, for what we do.

There's only been 4 guns that have connected with the Mile target here, thus far.  @JBMatt's Win Mag, my Win Mag, @sketch's Barrett M99 .50 Cal, and @Magwa's 6.5x284.  Other people have shot those guns, and hit the target - but those are the only guns that have gotten it done, to date. 

Everything written above is true fact the question is  how deep down the rabbit hole do you want to get? want to kill the mile then just get a 300 win mag and call it a day you will still have a good amount of work right barrel bullet combo powder etc .....where I live there are long distance shoots all the time chances to hit the mile quite often and longer it is a thing called the boomer shoot where you shoot Dynamite out to 13 or 1500 yards in 6 inch targets..long distance is a thing here I am new to it still learning you will see everything from 6mm to 375 and every kind of gun in the open class they also have the hunter class the gun must weigh under 14 lbs.

my recommendation is just like 98 said think about how much you will use it , are the places to shoot readily available?are you willing to spend 5 grand on a gun just to ring steel out to a mile? if yes then the world is your oyster,300 win mag,7mmPRC 300 PRC 284 win /with 180 grain bergers, 6.5 x284 7mm saum  and a tomn of other calibers will do it  if you just want to build a fun long range gun then I have to agree keep it simple go 6.5 CM or 260 rem. but this rabbit hole is deep! I mean Deep!

2 hours ago, Sisco said:

Leaning towards the 300 WM with a muzzle brake. Plus I have 100 Hornady ELD 225 grain 30 cal. Bullets sitting on my reloading bench. Left over from a failed 300 Blk experiment. 🤔

Use a suppressor or you'll hate yourself. Had a guy 2 benches over with a WinMag plugs and muffs it was loud as fuk. 

I would like to try this once i get the right ammo in the 300wsm. What i have now is good for 3/4 of a mile and it is at the limit . 

As far as a Tikka T3 ... Forget it , won't touch it without two maxi pads taped to the buttstock. I think i broke some blood vessels in my shoulder. Little pill and 72gr of H4350.

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

Probably apply at my LGS when and if I order it.

If you have a suppressor for your BLK, would it work for a 300WinMag?  Both are 30 cal.  Or would the cartridge size difference and pressures stop you from swapping back and forth?   Just wondering out loud.

5 hours ago, dpete said:

If you have a suppressor for your BLK, would it work for a 300WinMag?  Both are 30 cal.  Or would the cartridge size difference and pressures stop you from swapping back and forth?   Just wondering out loud.

The suppressor I use for my 300 Blk is actually for my 45 ACP FNX45. It has an adapter but is recommended for 300 Blk only. A 300 WM would probably blow it apart.

26 minutes ago, Sisco said:

The suppressor I use for my 300 Blk is actually for my 45 ACP FNX45. It has an adapter but is recommended for 300 Blk only. A 300 WM would probably blow it apart.

Yeah, that would be BAD.  Boom and shrapnel three feet in front of your face.

There are alot of .30 Cal suppressors out there that state ".300BLK" but are not Magnum rated.  If you want both cartridges, you better look for a suppressor that specifically stated as "Magnum rated."

A 300BLK-only suppressor is gonna come apart on the end of my Win Mag bolt gun.  If the can is only gonna handle BLK rounds at BLK speeds, it's coming apart after a few of my 225gr loads traveling 2932fps.  It won't last after just a few shots, but the barrel is 26" away, so when it goes, if won't hurt me - but I hope someone gets it on video...   I'll try it with someone's 300BLK can, just for the video...  Definitely risk that one, just for the vid...     :thumbup:

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

There are alot of .30 Cal suppressors out there that state ".300BLK" but are not Magnum rated.  If you want both cartridges, you better look for a suppressor that specifically stated as "Magnum rated."

A 300BLK-only suppressor is gonna come apart on the end of my Win Mag bolt gun.  If the can is only gonna handle BLK rounds at BLK speeds, it's coming apart after a few of my 225gr loads traveling 2932fps.  It won't last after just a few shots, but the barrel is 26" away, so when it goes, if won't hurt me - but I hope someone gets it on video...   I'll try it with someone's 300BLK can, just for the video...  Definitely risk that one, just for the vid...     :thumbup:

yeah would not be a good thing. I will follow the recommendations of my LGS guy. He knows his stuff.