• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Another guy from AZ

WildWillie

Hello all,

Old guy here, former jarhead. Pretty good at building 1911/2011 pistols in 10mm. AZ seems to be full of smiths and shooters. :)

The 7.62x51 is my favorite rifle cartridge, while 10mm is my favorite pistol cartridge.

Currently shooting a LR-308 based on a complete PSA 20" upper (gen 3?) and a stripped lower I assembled. My SD battlefield rifle is a HK91 clone (PRT A3SK). Pistols are: one 45 ACP doing nightstand duty, a 10mm single-stack, and a comp'd 2011, both fitted with 40 S&W barrels. The pistols were built by me. Oh, and I have one Glock G22.5 MOS that I use as a truck gun.

S.E. AZ is pretty cool. The pic is the waterfall (active during monsoon season) across the highway from me.

I got forced into early retirement on SS so I'm not going to be building any expensive ARs (why I bought the cheap PSA), and I sold my mill and lathe so I can't build my custom 1911/2011s any more. So, I'm just going to shoot what I have and learn how reload necked cartridges. Hoping to learn about this here.

The PSA runs pretty good now. I upgraded the BCG, but don't remember why, and had the adjustable gas block clog up on me last week. Replaced it with a SA bypass gas block and we seem to be up and running again (after about 100 trouble-free rounds). This is my medium range SD rifle, for 300-400m. I bought what I could afford for glass, a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56, and it seems to be working for me.

Just bought a A2 tube/spring/buffer and a fixed A2 stock for the PSA (my dream stock is the Magpul PRS) and will probably be putting that on tomorrow. It's not a close-quarters rifle, so may as well get comfortable behind it.

Anyway, enough rambling. Just wanted to introduce myself, say 'Hi', and start reading.

I'm sure there will be questions sooner or later. :)

Take care,
Bill

Carr-Canyon-Waterfall-crop-square.jpg

14 minutes ago, WildWillie said:

Just bought a A2 tube/spring/buffer and a fixed A2 stock for the PSA (my dream stock is the Magpul PRS) and will probably be putting that on tomorrow.

You'll need to fix the gas port diameter once you install that recoil system.  I highly doubt PSA got the gas port right.  I'm just sayin'...

50 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You'll need to fix the gas port diameter once you install that recoil system.  I highly doubt PSA got the gas port right.  I'm just sayin'...

Rifle seems to be functioning fine, i.e., getting enough gas. I'm 20 clicks from full closed (according to SA, I'm four clicks past full open and into bypass), and I'm dropping my brass about 14' away in a pile at my 3:30-4:00 o'clock. What exactly do I need to fix?

10 minutes ago, WildWillie said:

What exactly do I need to fix?

They make the gas ports small, so they can ship 3.8oz carbine buffers, because that's cheaper to do.  You toss a rifle buffer in there at 5.4oz - and you'll over-recoil that too-small gas port. 

That's specifically what you'll need to look for.  If it's running fine now - weigh the buffer that's in there right now.  :thumbup:

10 minutes ago, WildWillie said:

About 10 miles or so South of Sierra Vista. Near Hereford Rd and the 92. 

Very cool - I know that area very well.  I had an old shooting spot out there, before it got shut down due to shiitheads leaving trash... 

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

They make the gas ports small, so they can ship 3.8oz carbine buffers, because that's cheaper to do.  You toss a rifle buffer in there at 5.4oz - and you'll over-recoil that too-small gas port. 

That's specifically what you'll need to look for.  If it's running fine now - weigh the buffer that's in there right now.  :thumbup:

Very cool - I know that area very well.  I had an old shooting spot out there, before it got shut down due to shiitheads leaving trash... 

Do you know what the diameter of the gas port is supposed to be? Or where I can look it up? Thanks. 

14 hours ago, WildWillie said:

Do you know what the diameter of the gas port is supposed to be? Or where I can look it up? Thanks. 

Yes, I definitely do know what size it should be.  With a proper recoil system.

On 4/4/2023 at 8:54 PM, 98Z5V said:

If it's running fine now - weigh the buffer that's in there right now.  :thumbup:

@WildWillie, you gotta find this info out first.  Very first.  This is gonna tell the story on that gun, right away.  It'll tell the story on the gas port diameter, based on the buffer weight its got, and it's working fine right now. 

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

@WildWillie, you gotta find this info out first.  Very first.  This is gonna tell the story on that gun, right away.  It'll tell the story on the gas port diameter, based on the buffer weight its got, and it's working fine right now. 

Sorry, no postal scale (not yet anyways). :embarrassed:

Oh and FYI, none of these lower parts are from PSA. I bought a G3-10 bare blemished lower(?) from PSA when I bought the complete 20" upper. I simply transferred parts from the old lower to the PSA lower.

Took a pic of what I have:

The top one is a flat-wire spring and short buffer I running currently in the rifle.

The middle one is what I ran on the other lower with a carbine (A5?) buffer tube and PRS stock.

The lower one is part of a new Aero Precision 308 kit w/A2 buffer tube. This is what I was planning to install on the new PSA.

Bill 

38EF265C-A400-4D69-A679-BF2EA77E62F1_1_105_c.jpeg

That top one in the pic is a 3.8oz buffer, most.  No way you can make it more, with the aluminum body it has.  Only way to make a 2.500" buffer heavier than 3.8oz is with a stainless steel body.

So, you're going from H1 weight for a buffer, to H3 weight (rifle buffer).  If the gun ran fine with the H1 weighted buffer in it, then the gas port was too small, in order to make that "compromise of parts" work correctly.  Once that rifle buffer goes in there, the gun isn't gonna run well anymore, until you drill that gas port out to the right size. 

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

That top one in the pic is a 3.8oz buffer, most.  No way you can make it more, with the aluminum body it has.  Only way to make a 2.500" buffer heavier than 3.8oz is with a stainless steel body.

So, you're going from H1 weight for a buffer, to H3 weight (rifle buffer).  If the gun ran fine with the H1 weighted buffer in it, then the gas port was too small, in order to make that "compromise of parts" work correctly.  Once that rifle buffer goes in there, the gun isn't gonna run well anymore, until you drill that gas port out to the right size. 

While I am not familiar with the nomenclature, I did figure the rest out. From what I've read, the gas port should be about 90 thou or so. And since the gas block is coming off, I might as well replace the gas tube as it appears to be 15.25", not 15.5". Wilson Combat sells a 15.5" gas tube.

Then I will try the flat-wire spring (top spring in the pic) with the new rifle buffer and see how that goes. Something to do. Thanks for your help.

Edited by WildWillie

5 minutes ago, WildWillie said:

And since the gas block is coming off, I might as well replace the gas tube as it appears to be 15.25", not 15.5". Wilson Combat sells a 15.5" gas tube.

Then I will try the flat-wire spring (top spring in the pic) with the new rifle buffer and see how that goes. Something to do. Thanks for your help.

Might as well take a pic of the upper receiver, and post it.  Let's see where the gas tube ends in the upper receiver (BCG removed).  It'll look like this - this is the perfect scenario - should end directly in the center of the cam pin cutout in the upper receiver - sorry it's blurry, but the important parts are visible:

IMG_1067.thumb.JPG.c8f7a591af6e3b508915bee3d3933486.JPG

7 minutes ago, Turd Furgeson said:

Best advice as a  new member myself is to listen to 98Z5V!!!

Pssssshhh...   I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the dirt, with too many guns.  I get the chance to experiment with alot of fucked up shiit...   :lmao::laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

28 minutes ago, WildWillie said:

I'd bet the flat wire spring is to long and your buffer won't go in the buffer tube far enough.

I may be wrong but I don't think so.

19 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Might as well take a pic of the upper receiver, and post it.  Let's see where the gas tube ends in the upper receiver (BCG removed).  It'll look like this - this is the perfect scenario - should end directly in the center of the cam pin cutout in the upper receiver - sorry it's blurry, but the important parts are visible:

IMG_1067.thumb.JPG.c8f7a591af6e3b508915bee3d3933486.JPG

Mine is about 1/4" shorter than that, near the leading edge of the cutout. And already saw a pic with the tube end centered in that cutout. Which is why I will order a WC gas tube. Thanks again. :thumbup: