• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 Muzzle Brakes

rhinegarten

I am searching for a muzzle brake on my .308 DPMS. I really like the muzzle brakes that Bushmaster makes for the 5.56, and I have one on each of the AR-15 Bush twins. It's the one modelled after the Russian design for the AK-74. They work well, cost less than $30, and don't create much side blast and noise.

Unfortunately, Bushmaster doesn't make a .30 caliber version to my knowledge.

Are there any .30 cal muzzle brakes out there that are effective in mitigating muzzle rise yet don't produce a bunch of blast and ear-boxing concussion?

A heavy buffer is the next recoil-reducing device.

Dinzag sells this one which is a copy of the AK 74 brake and fits .30cal barrels with 5/8"-24 threads. I've got one I picked up but never used. If you're interested I'd let you have it for $25 plus shipping.

ww10.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm?userid=C3255014&product=74MB6324++74+Brake+5/8-24&price=35.00&return=www.dinzagarms.com/brakes_hiders/brakes_hiders.html

Technically.... Sine you brought up the Laws of Physics.

<---- asshole alert

The blast/noise is exactly the same out of all rifles, with or without muzzle devices (barring a suppression unit). The redirection of gases with a muzzle device just changes the perception of felt, seen and heard shots based on your location in respect to the muzzle. While you, and those near you, may feel a brake is louder, down range the shot is going to be stifled. The exact opposite occurs with a linear brake. It's the Law.

Now before you say, "Damn that Robo, he's such an A-hole!" let me clear something up. Based on your statement I fully assume that you are already aware of everything I just wrote. My intention was to inform others who may not grasp the idea in the same manner. Thus influencing them to buy a certain muzzle device based on their misperception of facts. Did that make sense?

It made sense to me, you forgot to include.  The redirection of gases helps stabilize the barrel "if" the brake is designed "properly". And that reduces "felt" recoil. The larger pressure rounds benefit more than the lower ones. Don’t take a brake designed for a 338 lupa and expect the same results on a 308.

You are not an ass hole. Just have a passion larger than most and don’t mind saying so. Me 2 <thumbsup>

Regards Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any .30 cal muzzle brakes out there that are effective in mitigating muzzle rise yet don't produce a bunch of blast and ear-boxing concussion?

If muzzle rise is the primary concern, then you're probably looking more for a compensator than a brake.  I'll be trying this one out this coming Wednesday:

100_0229.jpg

100_0230.jpg

Interesting point you make about the compensator vs muzzle brake. Never quite thought of it in those terms. If you get the chance, let us know how it does along with some of the details - as in where to get one. If it really works that's two pluses, the first one being that it looks cool. It appears as though the very bottom is not drilled so as to avoid the dust signature.

Something that should've been asked that no one has: what is the intended use of this rifle? Is it a run & gun CQB rifle or is it being used as an SPR (special purpose rifle) aka precision rifle?

If you're using it as more of a CQB rifle, the Primary Weapons FSC30 is second to none; providing great recoil reduction, flash hiding, and eliminating muzzle rise.

If you're using the rifle in more of a precision role, take at look at the Primary Weapons PRC (precision rifle compensator) as it reduces the recoil every bit as good (if not better) as the FSC30 while eliminating muzzle rise and ground signature whereas the FSC30 has a ghastly muzzle blast that throws poop all over the place to the left and right of the shooter.

...made in Boise ID. - PWS Precision Comp

I would be looking at less of a CQB role (hope I never end up in a real life situation like that, shotgun might be a better choice) and more of a 50 - 200 yard scenario with a device that minimizes disturbance of the sight picture. Can't see much beyond 50-60 yards with target detail without a low power scope or binoculars. Probably won't be in any kind of competition. I just like the rifle to stay close on target under recoil.

Your photo reminds me of Gunny.

Thanks I thought it might be loud for bystanders. I guess I went from one extreme to the other. I was actually going to go with the BattleComp BABC (smaller openings are quieter?) but the JP came highly recommended by the guy threading the barrel for me. Figured he knew more about it then I did. I love the look of the JP as well.

I've got the BABC on a 7.62 AR and although this is subjective because I'm describing brakes on two different guns not two brakes tested on the same gun, but, I believe that the BABC is better with regards to side blast, than the Surefire I have fired, I can't tell you anything about the reletive compensting abilities of the BABC to the JP. I know that the JP's are very popular with the 3gun crowd, but that may have something to do with JP's offering complete race guns with them mounted. If your looking for any kind of flashhiding ability, I would be inclined to go with the BABC or something else, if, on the other hand, all you want is a comp that effectively reduces recoil and muzzle rise, I've heard nothing but good things about the JP. I guess we'll both be able to judge for ourselves once we get themmounted.

Update on the Spike's .308 DynaComp:  Fired it Wednesday at the local range.  It's mounted on a 16" barreled .308 bolt gun - the Ruger Gunsite Scout.  Now, this thing has a little kick to it.  ;D  Previously, with the stock muzzle device on there, while bench-type shooting (zeroing the red dot, checking the irons), it would kick off-target.  I was shooting from a front shooting block, not touching the front of the rifle, and bracing my non-firing hand under the bottom back of the stock.  With the muzzle rise, it would jump up, and completely off target - the front of the gun would physically come off the shooting block.

With the DynaComp on there, I definitely noticed a difference in the recoil characteristics.  It would pretty much keep the red dot close to the target sight picture - still some movement, but not nearly as much as before.  Linear recoil felt somewhat better, somewhat less than before, but it still kicks - it's a 16" .308 bolt, so it's going to.  Hell of a stock pad on the back of the stock, though - that's good. 

Overall, it just stays on target much better when you follow through after the shot.  It's worth the money I spent on it (little over $80 from DSG Arms), and I'm glad I changed out the stock muzzle device and went with this one. 

Thanks I thought it might be loud for bystanders. I guess I went from one extreme to the other. I was actually going to go with the BattleComp BABC (smaller openings are quieter?) but the JP came highly recommended by the guy threading the barrel for me. Figured he knew more about it then I did. I love the look of the JP as well.

My customers have been very happy with the JP brake.  It's about the only JP item I can recommend.

• 1 month later...

Originally designed by Randy Cain of RD Precision for precision bolt rifles, the .308 and 6.8mm MRAD brakes also work on the AR system with 5/8 - 24 threaded barrels.

As designed, they are meant to be installed by a competent gunsmith that will thread the customer's barrel for a precise fit, for ARs with existing threaded barrels, a shim kit may be required to eliminate the gap between the brake and shoulder of the muzzle (shim kit is an option when ordering the brake).

The MRAD brake has a cross bolt on the bottom to allow easy indexing.  The ports are canted toward the rear by 10 degrees, and they are also canted upward by 10 degree (port openings are wider on the bottom)

002-2.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/001-2.jpg

More pics on an AR10

AR10againstwall.jpg

[img width=810 height=595]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/AR15brakecloseup.jpg

[img width=810 height=715]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/AR10brakefront.jpg

[img width=810 height=387]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/Untitled2-4.jpg

The MRAD brake is available on our site here  :)

• 2 months later...